Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 11:58 AM

I have always had a problem with the notion that God would have hardened Pharaoh’s soft heart and pave the
way for him to kill/murder the first born of Egypt. For God to do so would have been evil indeed.

Do you think that science has explained the purported miracles as natural phenomena?

From what I can see, the Jews who wrote the story did not take it literally.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/doubtingexodus.htm

Should Christians recognize the O T stories as natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Regards
DL
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Greatest I am's post
04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
RE: Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?
Christians would do well to look at that whole book as fiction and move on.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
The exodus has absolutely zero evidence for this grand event, which is very suspicious. Moreover, the Bible also doesn't mention the name of the Paraoh in question, nor the one before him. Why? It mentions the names of other Paraohs, but when it comes to these two... no.
04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
The Torah as it is known today was compiled long after the events described in its books and one must not forget that they were compiled as religious doctrine and not as a history book. I'm quite certain that a lot of the events described in these stories are based on real events but beyond that they have probably been altered in many ways ... deeds attributed to the "hero", events moved to fit the story etc. Some alterations are even visible in the text.
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 02:37 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Exactly. The Merneptah Stele, (Egyptian), is evidence for something, but Semites were already settled in Canaan when it happened. There was no large Exodus event. They give themselves away when they say "who brought us UP OUT", when they were (supposedly, still), "down, over". Clearly it's ancient myth, covered with overlay of later view.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...olden+Calf

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Fiction obviously.

Silly rabbit, fratricide is for kids!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
04-02-2013, 02:26 PM
(04-02-2013 01:36 PM)tiorthan Wrote:  The Torah as it is known today was compiled long after the events described in its books and one must not forget that they were compiled as religious doctrine and not as a history book. I'm quite certain that a lot of the events described in these stories are based on real events but beyond that they have probably been altered in many ways ... deeds attributed to the "hero", events moved to fit the story etc. Some alterations are even visible in the text.

What convinces you they were based on real events? There is no evidence that they were.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 02:51 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-02-2013 01:36 PM)tiorthan Wrote:  The Torah as it is known today was compiled long after the events described in its books and one must not forget that they were compiled as religious doctrine and not as a history book. I'm quite certain that a lot of the events described in these stories are based on real events but beyond that they have probably been altered in many ways ... deeds attributed to the "hero", events moved to fit the story etc. Some alterations are even visible in the text.
Wrong. They were politial spin, not "religious doctrine". See the link above. Moses was 100 % mythical. The time line is impossible, and there is no evidence for it. The myth as presented was support for one faction of the priests.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
04-02-2013, 03:12 PM
(04-02-2013 11:58 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

I have always had a problem with the notion that God would have hardened Pharaoh’s soft heart and pave the
way for him to kill/murder the first born of Egypt. For God to do so would have been evil indeed.

Do you think that science has explained the purported miracles as natural phenomena?

From what I can see, the Jews who wrote the story did not take it literally.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/historicalviews/doubtingexodus.htm

Should Christians recognize the O T stories as natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Regards
DL
There is a documentary showing how every plague came about. Even the parting of the "Red Sea". In fact is was not the Red Sea, but the Reed Sea that they crossed, which during the right condition was an ankle pond.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Chas Wrote:What convinces you they were based on real events? There is no evidence that they were.
Sorry, I should have expressed myself more clearly. I was not referring to Exodus actually but the Torah as a whole. IMO the story told in Exodus is a fabrication.

Bucky Ball Wrote:Wrong. They were politial spin, not "religious doctrine". See the link above. Moses was 100 % mythical. The time line is impossible, and there is no evidence for it. The myth as presented was support for one faction of the priests.
In a nation that justifies its existence and laws as God-given I don't see a difference between a political spin and religious doctrine.

By the way, even though I think the Exodus is a fabrication I wouldn't go as far as to call Moses 100% mythical. He may even be based on a real person. At least that's what I'd do if I were to sell a national myth to my people, take one of the local celebrities and attribute some wild stories to him.
[+] 1 user Likes tiorthan's post