Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?
i never understood this natural vs supernatural thing. if something exists doesnt it have to be natural? as for fact or fiction im gonna go with fiction that may in some way be based on an actual event. i read somewhere that exodus is likely based on several micro-exoduses(did i invent a word?) involving poeople leaving caanan(sp?).
there is no evidence of a mass exodus from egypt.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Count me in the exodus-is-fiction camp.
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
06-02-2013, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 02:23 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(06-02-2013 03:19 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 12:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I love the fact that somebody forgot to remind the Egyptians that they lost a Pharaoh (not a specific one, just 'a' Pharaoh), and that they needed to drown during that whole world wide flood bit with Noah and his boat. Cause they kind of forgot to make any mention of it in their own histories...

A tenacious people, those Egyptians...
They might have written of the Exodus though but they called it the Hyksos Expulsion.
Regards
DL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos#Was_...nvasion.3F

The Hyksos continued to play a role in Egyptian literature as a synonym for "Asiatic" down to Hellenistic times. The term was frequently evoked,[citation needed] against such groups as the Semites settled in Aswan or the Delta, and this may have led the Egyptian priest and historian Manetho to identify the coming of the Hyksos with the sojourn in Egypt of Joseph and his brothers, and led to some authors identifying the expulsion of the Hyksos with the Exodus. It may also indicate that the "expulsion" of the Hyksos reported in the Egyptian records mainly refers to the expulsion of the Semitic rulers and military/political elite and does not indicate a mass expulsion of the lower classes who, in the Ancient World, were traditionally exploited by their conquerors rather than expelled or massacred.

:EDIT:

I found this browsing the memes, thought I would share...

[Image: 127-Historical-Accuracy-650x650.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
09-02-2013, 12:49 PM
RE: AW: Was the Exodus natural or supernatural, fact or fiction?
(06-02-2013 03:20 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 03:16 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  Yes. Your memory is sound.
I believe that all God's and scriptures should be thought of as fiction and myths unless one suffers an apotheosis. Only that personal experience should make one a believer in anything other than what can be shown to be real via logic and reason. The Godhead I know does not need a belief in fantasy, miracle or magic. If he did, I would scrap his sorry ass. He also makes no demands on anyone and sends no one to a hell. It is more of a universal consciousness and Godhead is a term I use. Not one that was given. I have no proof to share though so please do not ask.
I also do not try to push this belief on anyone.
Regards
DL
Your god sounds like a nice guy. Consider

All Gods would be nice if we realized that Gods have no needs.
If they did, they sure lived a long time without sating them as man is way younger than the universe.

Regards
DL
09-02-2013, 12:59 PM
(06-02-2013 04:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Copy and paste inc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus_Decoded
Jacobovici's assertions have been criticized by archaeologists and religious scholars. The criticism addresses each of Jacobovici's claims, as well as his methods in general, including:

---------------------------------------------------
Hardly surprising that religious scholars would not agree as they have an interest in disagreeing with anything that does not push for the belief in miracles of all kinds.
Archeologists are also known for cat fights. So are all disciplines until a firm consensus is found.
I go against the religious view on moral ground more than anything else.
At least from TPOV a concensus can be found with relative ease.
Unless of course my opponent is dead set on the notion that it was good for God to murder the children of the ones who were doing the harm.
Regards
DL
09-02-2013, 01:01 PM
(06-02-2013 07:36 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I love Simcha... and miss The Naked Archaeologist...

But I've watched this before, and it's hardly a question that he is reaching here. It's a "possibility" and there is a likely occurrence a smaller group of enslaved people escaped Egypt at some time in a similar event and that was built upon and created the grand myth of the Exodus.
That is the theory and to me it sure beats staffs that turn into snakes.
Regards
DL
09-02-2013, 01:07 PM
(06-02-2013 08:28 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  i never understood this natural vs supernatural thing. if something exists doesnt it have to be natural? as for fact or fiction im gonna go with fiction that may in some way be based on an actual event. i read somewhere that exodus is likely based on several micro-exoduses(did i invent a word?) involving poeople leaving caanan(sp?).
there is no evidence of a mass exodus from egypt.
We are on the same page.
"micro-exoduses"
Sounds French mon ami and reminds me of this woman I once knew who had one. Heart it.
Regards
DL
09-02-2013, 04:07 PM
(09-02-2013 12:59 PM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 04:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Copy and paste inc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus_Decoded
Jacobovici's assertions have been criticized by archaeologists and religious scholars. The criticism addresses each of Jacobovici's claims, as well as his methods in general, including:

---------------------------------------------------
Hardly surprising that religious scholars would not agree as they have an interest in disagreeing with anything that does not push for the belief in miracles of all kinds.
Archeologists are also known for cat fights. So are all disciplines until a firm consensus is found.
I go against the religious view on moral ground more than anything else.
At least from TPOV a concensus can be found with relative ease.
Unless of course my opponent is dead set on the notion that it was good for God to murder the children of the ones who were doing the harm.
Regards
DL
I've read over the wiki article and traced the references. It seems like the show is arguing for the validity of the bible. Sad

Personally I don't buy it.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 09:54 AM by Greatest I am.)
(09-02-2013 04:07 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I've read over the wiki article and traced the references. It seems like the show is arguing for the validity of the bible. Sad

Personally I don't buy it.
That is not how I see it. The author is saying that the Santorini eruption and the Hyksos expulsion were used as a backdrop for the fantasy tale woven by the bible.

Regards
DL