Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 01:08 PM by tear151.)
Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
I have no view on the topic, but I think it's interesting so if you're interested leave a post and I'd love to read it. I'm not saying these are mutually exclusive by any means, it's more the character limit of the title.

"A witty quote means nothing"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
I'm not sure those are mutually exclusive options or that they are simple yes/no propositions. Are you comparing it to earlier, contemporary, or later societies? Could it not be barbaric in some respects, civilized in others, and also arrogant in some ways?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
I edited the op to reflect that, obviously it's not mutually exclusive. Is it possible for mods to change the title to simply "Was the Roman Empire truly civilised? Discuss" or something, I can't seem to edit it...

08-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Define "civilized".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2014, 01:56 PM
The definition of civilised is entirely up to the people who want to post their ideas, I'm here to spectate.

08-12-2014, 02:36 PM
If we understand civilization as:

(Merriam-Webster)
- a relatively high level of cultural and technological development; specifically : the stage of cultural development at which writing and the keeping of written records is attained

- refinement of thought, manners, or taste

- a situation of urban comfort

Yes, it was.

It actually depends on what you want to compare it to.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-12-2014, 03:21 PM
(08-12-2014 02:36 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  If we understand civilization as:

(Merriam-Webster)
- a relatively high level of cultural and technological development; specifically : the stage of cultural development at which writing and the keeping of written records is attained

Yes, it was.

Consider When I ask my friends studying history normally they'd spurt out at me a definite yes to this or a definite no, that they were brutal and genocidal.

Laugh out load I'm rather glad this forum is of a high enough caliber to question that, I'm literally just probing peoples opinions on the matter, not even justified, just what people think, there's no trap here.

08-12-2014, 03:25 PM
(08-12-2014 03:21 PM)tear151 Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 02:36 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  If we understand civilization as:

(Merriam-Webster)

Yes, it was.

Consider When I ask my friends studying history normally they'd spurt out at me a definite yes to this or a definite no, that they were brutal and genocidal.

Laugh out load I'm rather glad this forum is of a high enough caliber to question that, I'm literally just probing peoples opinions on the matter, not even justified, just what people think, there's no trap here.

Compared to, say, their contemporary peoples of Northern Europe, they were quite civilized. Compared to today's civilized societies, they weren't.

Civilization is a term that must always take into account the time and the place.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
08-12-2014, 03:34 PM
They were brutal and genocidal. But they also had a high level of culture due to being able to share and trade ideas throughout their empire. Rome was the focal point and so Rome was able to flourish as a result.
They recorded their life and such. They were able to build roads, bathhouses, sewer systems, aqueducts etc...

Compared to the 'barbarians' around them they were civilized.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
08-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Reminds me of an old joke.
Kid at the killing games starts crying...
...'Don't cry dear' says his Mum,' they'e only christians'
'it's not that he wails' 'one lion hasn't got a Christian' .

I really see gross evil and civilization as mutually exclusive.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post