Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 04:29 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
We always need to take time in account.

I remembered now something my brother had told me. He is in an architecture forum and there was a thread about, I don't know, best stadiums? Anyway, he posted a picture of a restored ancient Greek stadium and people were like "This? It doesn't even have toilets". No, they weren't joking.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 04:40 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
(08-12-2014 01:56 PM)tear151 Wrote:  The definition of civilised is entirely up to the people who want to post their ideas, I'm here to spectate.

How uncivilized.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised?
They were pretty barbaric, but they did crucify Jesus, so they got some things right. Big Grin

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
08-12-2014, 06:36 PM
I suppose in very general terms, it was a civilization.
Has there ever been a so-called civilization that didn't have a dark barbaric underbelly?
Civilized is one of those words that gets tossed around as a generic blanket that doesn't quite cover everything.
If you're willing to look for it, barbarism isn't too hard to find.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
08-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Civilized peoples are not different than uncivilized peoples, in most respects, they just have more free time and more stuff. You could make the argument that Americans are homicidal and genocidal as well as noble prize winners and world leaders of pop culture.

I honestly can't think of an example where a lot of people lived in roughly the same place for a long time and didn't develop a civilization. Rome was civilized. In terms of bureaucracy and governance they were very advanced... not so much in philosophy and moral theory.
08-12-2014, 10:46 PM
(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I have no view on the topic, but I think it's interesting so if you're interested leave a post and I'd love to read it. I'm not saying these are mutually exclusive by any means, it's more the character limit of the title.

Relative to other cultures at the time?

For a while at least, they were what one might call civilised; they were the epicentre of trade, the arts and knowledge in their world and had greatly advanced engineering and architectural capabilities.

Relative to today?

They were a barbaric bureaucracy rife with backwards practises.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-12-2014, 11:22 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised?
Quote:I really see gross evil and civilization as mutually exclusive.

Are WE civilized?

[Image: nag2.jpg]

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
09-12-2014, 06:54 AM
I see no evidence the Romans even knew about pinkie out.

[Image: When_In_Doubt__Pinky_Out_by_roc66.jpg]

So no.
The Romans were pig dogs.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-12-2014, 06:55 AM
(08-12-2014 11:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I really see gross evil and civilization as mutually exclusive.

Are WE civilized?

[Image: nag2.jpg]

Maybe not so much three generations ago as now...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Well everyone is on board where I would be and not really thinking much of the undetermined idea of "civilized"

So let's make it easier, as we could bicker about the idea of Barbaric. By it's original definition, yes, as Barbaric comes from the idea of people being not Greek/non-Greek speaking. Coming from their languages sounding like Barbar.

Also, can we define some societies that would we call not arrogant? That may be interesting.

Organizing groups as civilized or not is kind of an outdated or at least maybe misguided because it came with a concept of "good" or better than alternatives. It's definitely a loaded term.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson