Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2014, 08:11 AM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
(08-12-2014 11:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:I really see gross evil and civilization as mutually exclusive.

Are WE civilized?

[Image: nag2.jpg]

I don't know; are single data points from a lifetime ago all that useful in answering?

[Image: Nanking_bodies_1937.jpg]

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
09-12-2014, 01:35 PM
RE: Was the Roman empire truly civilised? Or was it barbaric itself and merely arrogant?
(09-12-2014 06:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 11:22 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Are WE civilized?

[Image: nag2.jpg]

Maybe not so much three generations ago as now...

Read today's Torture Report and get back to me on that.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-12-2014, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 04:29 PM by Free Thought.)
RE: blurgly
(09-12-2014 01:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 06:55 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Maybe not so much three generations ago as now...

Read today's Torture Report and get back to me on that.

I suppose that offsets all the social progression which has happened between your first example and now?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-12-2014, 04:15 PM
(09-12-2014 04:03 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 01:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Read today's Torture Report and get back to me on that.

I suppose that offsets all the social progression which has happened between your first example and and now?

Quiet, you.

Obviously the fact that a bad thing happened totally obviates the fact that in this world, today, fewer bad things happen than ever before. Obviously!

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Quote:I suppose that offsets all the social progression which has happened between your first example and now?

You see social "progression" in this country? Can I have a hit off of what you are smoking.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
10-12-2014, 04:28 PM
(08-12-2014 12:39 PM)tear151 Wrote:  I have no view on the topic, but I think it's interesting so if you're interested leave a post and I'd love to read it. I'm not saying these are mutually exclusive by any means, it's more the character limit of the title.

The answer is BOTH!

Most modern judicial and democratic systems are based upon the ancient Roman laws, demonstrating how advanced their civilization was during it's time.

But the Romans were also conquerors, who invaded neighboring territories to expand the empire. They were also polytheists, and the concept of monotheism was not only alien to them, but also very insulting. They viewed themselves as vastly superior to any other culture, and took great pride in demonstrating their military might against anyone who did not share their views. This itself demonstrated their arrogance.

As far as barbarism is concerned, they would crucify scores of Jews and other dissidents/criminals to display how barbaric they actually could be. However, this display of utter barbarism was often scorned by high-ranking persons within the Roman legislature and other offices.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
12-12-2014, 04:37 PM
(10-12-2014 04:28 PM)Free Wrote:  Most modern judicial and democratic systems are based upon the ancient Roman United States' laws, demonstrating how advanced their civilization was during it's time.

But the Romans United States were also conquerors, who invaded neighboring territories to expand the empire. They were also polytheists monotheistic, and the concept of monotheism logic was not only alien to them, but also very insulting. They viewed themselves as vastly superior to any other culture, and took great pride in demonstrating their military might against anyone who did not share their views. This itself demonstrated their arrogance.

As far as barbarism is concerned, they would crucify scores of Jews and other dissidents/criminals to display how barbaric they actually could be. However, this display of utter barbarism was often scorned by high-ranking persons within the Roman legislature and other offices.

Fixed.

Occasional TTA returner then leaverer.
[+] 4 users Like Logica Humano's post
12-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Re
(12-12-2014 04:37 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Fixed.

LOGICA

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
12-12-2014, 05:48 PM
All civilizations are roughly 2 (or some other number) missed meals away from barbarism. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
16-12-2014, 08:35 AM
The Roman Empire invented water-boarding. So yeah, they were just a civilized as we are.