Was the US Civil War over Slavery?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Was the US Civil War over Slavery?
The North industrialists were profiting vast amounts from slave labor, slave labor allowed the nation the surplus to even begin an industrial economy. The North also had child labor.

Does anyone here believe that the North just one day got compassionate for human beings?
Find all posts by this user
20-09-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: Was the US Civil War over Slavery?
oh for fucks sake! are you even able to make one interesting post?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
20-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I think you know what I'm going to say but I'm going to say it anyway as children need constant reinforcement.
I&I, you're an idiot.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
28-09-2013, 08:53 AM
(20-09-2013 06:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  The North industrialists were profiting vast amounts from slave labor, slave labor allowed the nation the surplus to even begin an industrial economy. The North also had child labor.

Does anyone here believe that the North just one day got compassionate for human beings?

Certainly, slavery was one cause for sure, but it was - to some extend - "manufactured" by the press and the executive branch.
More to the point was the issue of state's rights.....a leading general at that time was offered the supreme command of the federal army. Instead, he resigned his commission and fully supported his state - Virginia. He believed that the states each held more power than the federal govt. and deserved their citizen's full support.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
28-09-2013, 10:38 AM
(28-09-2013 08:53 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 06:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  The North industrialists were profiting vast amounts from slave labor, slave labor allowed the nation the surplus to even begin an industrial economy. The North also had child labor.

Certainly, slavery was one cause for sure, but it was - to some extend - "manufactured" by the press and the executive branch.
More to the point was the issue of state's rights.....a leading general at that time was offered the supreme command of the federal army. Instead, he resigned his commission and fully supported his state - Virginia. He believed that the states each held more power than the federal govt. and deserved their citizen's full support.

Yes but the war was industrial capital vs land capital. States rights was like slavery, they were added on later by historians as being the reasons for this industrial vs land capital war. It was mainly a rich vs upper middle class war, and like any war, the poor people did the fighting.
[+] 1 user Likes I and I's post
28-09-2013, 10:41 AM
and sooooo

nothing?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
28-09-2013, 02:39 PM
(20-09-2013 06:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  Does anyone here believe that the North just one day got compassionate for human beings?
Yeah, I kind of think so. I also think that the ambition was for the Confederate states to import Chinese as slaves with settling the western states.

I think the northern people became skeptical about the breeding practice that the slave owners imposed on the slaves to make the super-slave. And I think the Lincoln Republicans wanted to stop the breeding, but obviously, they were not prepared to help the Negroes other than to affirmatively promote some to Representative office, but that didn't go very far, and still hasn't.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-09-2013, 06:00 PM
If the north and south wanted to fight about slavery they had 40 years to do it starting with the Missouri Compromise in 1820. They managed to avoid it.

South Carolina seceded from the Union in late December, 1860. Less than 4 months later they were firing on Fort Sumter.
29-09-2013, 08:19 AM
(28-09-2013 10:38 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(28-09-2013 08:53 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  Certainly, slavery was one cause for sure, but it was - to some extend - "manufactured" by the press and the executive branch.

Yes but the war was industrial capital vs land capital. States rights was like slavery, they were added on later by historians as being the reasons for this industrial vs land capital war. It was mainly a rich vs upper middle class war, and like any war, the poor people did the fighting.

I do not agree with you. R.E. Lee did not use the "industrial vs land capital" argument nor the "rich vs poor" one. He was for Virginia (his state), first-last-and always. You can read that in his letters of the time.
Claiming that "historians added states rights and slavery" at some later point is baseless and noncreditable. Using hind sight and present morals to define history is a real problem and leads most often to mistaken premises.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
29-09-2013, 07:31 PM
(29-09-2013 08:19 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(28-09-2013 10:38 AM)I and I Wrote:  Yes but the war was industrial capital vs land capital. States rights was like slavery, they were added on later by historians as being the reasons for this industrial vs land capital war. It was mainly a rich vs upper middle class war, and like any war, the poor people did the fighting.

I do not agree with you. R.E. Lee did not use the "industrial vs land capital" argument nor the "rich vs poor" one. He was for Virginia (his state), first-last-and always. You can read that in his letters of the time.
Claiming that "historians added states rights and slavery" at some later point is baseless and noncreditable. Using hind sight and present morals to define history is a real problem and leads most often to mistaken premises.

It wasn't rich vs poor, it was more like the agricultural land capital vs industrial capital. Wars like this happen all the time when an industrial nation attacks nations that are mainly agricultural.

States rights and slavery are the narrative that was added on by historians. There were many decisions by the government that should have made so called states rights people mad but didn't and both the north and the south profited greatly from slavery. States rights and slavery were not huge issues before or during the civil war.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Revolutionary War: The first war over slavery. I and I 11 618 23-05-2013 10:49 PM
Last Post: cjlr