Was the US Civil War over Slavery?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 11:57 AM by Hughsie.)
RE: Was the US Civil War over Slavery?
No, of course slavery wasn't the main reason (at least compassion wasn't).

Anyone who actually believes countries go the war solely for the benefit of other people that have nothing to do with them, and not their own benefits needs to open their eyes a little bit.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
24-10-2013, 11:58 AM
(30-09-2013 08:46 AM)RaisdCath Wrote:  
(30-09-2013 12:00 AM)JAH Wrote:  How about discussing that the south won the civil war. That is not often discussed in american historical circles but is a demonstrable fact.

Having lived in the South for some time (Virginia, Georgia, and North Carolina), there are elements of Southern society/culture that have not stopped "fighting" the Civil War. "The South Will Rise Again" is their mantra. I've seen many N. VA Confederate battle flags flying atop flag poles beneath which is the US flag.

However, as strident as some of these folks are - and they are strident in their views - I've never heard any of them assert that the South (Confederacy) won the Civil War.

But I'd like to see your viewpoint here!

Thanks

I moved to SC in 1987 (a military move) and was so surprised to find the people there were still, in many ways, fighting the civil war. One of our neighbors would look at me (if I said civil war) and say, "That's the War of Northern Aggression to you Missy". He was mostly teasing.

I left there in 2006 and they were still fighting...sigh...20 years of the fight over the rebel flag being on the state house or the state house grounds, 20 years of the KKK holding rallies one weekend a month near the Girl Scout Camp. And so many other things that sure made it seem that they didn't think they had won...if they had maybe some of the fighting would have stopped.

(Added bonus for me...a southern mother and Midwestern father somehow added up to me being a Yankee. Flavor that with a Catholic background and NO knowledge of Baptists and talking in tongues Pentecostals and what is get is a very unnerving and sometimes surreal life experience.)

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
24-10-2013, 06:59 PM
The south gets a worse reputation because of the simplistic ideas of the civil war.

The KKK was started and is headquartered in a state that was anti-slavery.

The U.S. Government benefitted greatly from slavery and the building of the industrial revolution in the north was a direct causal relation to the slavery the the US government.

Many northern states (not all, did you read that? Not all) have very few minorities. I live in Dallas, TX and whenever I travel to Midwestern states or in Wyoming, Nebraska, Idaho, Oregon, north and South Dakota, name many other northern states, they are mainly just white people. As opposed to where I live which is much more culturally diverse than most northern states. The white bread majority of American states are ironically the ones that claim to be more liberal. They love minorities so much they live in a place where they rarely see one. Fucking please.
25-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Ionno, is iHop even making pancakes anymore?

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
25-10-2013, 05:14 PM
(20-09-2013 06:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  The North industrialists were profiting vast amounts from slave labor, slave labor allowed the nation the surplus to even begin an industrial economy. The North also had child labor.

Does anyone here believe that the North just one day got compassionate for human beings?

Shit happens! Bad stuff everywhere! Evil_monsterUnsureConsider

Apportioning blame via conspiracy theories gets us no where unless you have some creative life enhancing options for us to engage
25-10-2013, 05:53 PM
(25-10-2013 05:14 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(20-09-2013 06:29 PM)I and I Wrote:  The North industrialists were profiting vast amounts from slave labor, slave labor allowed the nation the surplus to even begin an industrial economy. The North also had child labor.

Does anyone here believe that the North just one day got compassionate for human beings?

Shit happens! Bad stuff everywhere! Evil_monsterUnsureConsider

Apportioning blame via conspiracy theories gets us no where unless you have some creative life enhancing options for us to engage

What the fuck? The idea that the US government as a whole benefitted greatly from slavery and that slavery in the south fed the rise of industrialism in the north is a conspiracy theory?
25-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Absolutely. Look at the the VP of the confederacy's "cornerstone speech"
"Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition." The vp alexander Stephens said that. Southern apologists have made the war about "state's rights" because 1 . People can relate to that and 2 they don't want to believe their ancestors fought to defend slavery

or look up any of the primary documents written by the southern states as they were leaving the union. It's very clear. Also, If you want to understand the war - you must look into what "Union" meant for the northerners. Understanding those 2 topics and you got it
Thread Closed