Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?
I was just thinking about whether or not it was really worth it to go to the moon and to be honest I'm not so sure. For one, our primary driver at the time was purely motivated by politics. We went because we didn't want the Soviets to get there first. What though did we gain. I want to be very specific here. I'm not asking what we gain by space exploration. I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.

Some of this is might be difficult to determine since it's asking a "what if" question. Still, has there been any studies so to speak of what we gained going to the moon? Again, not space exploration in general but the moon specifically.

Likewise, there is usually off and on talk about going to mars. Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere? Other research in other areas of science; or other areas of the economy? I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on the matter is and what information you might have on these subjects.

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2013, 01:47 AM
RE: Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?
One day we won't all fit on this planet. One day this planet may not be fit for us.

One day we'll look around and say, "Damn, life would be easier if we lived out there."

That day will be easier if we have the technology to build a ship to fly us "out there". But one must walk before one can run, and going on these little short distance trips to the moon, or Mars, is our space travel equivalent of baby steps; necessary steps to develop bigger, better, faster ships so mankind can spread our inimitable inanity throughout the galaxy.

Besides, if not, then one day some super asteroid will hit the earth, the one that destroys us, maybe, or some other extinction event. The only way to survive that is to not be here when it happens.

In order for mankind to survive and thrive in the future, these baby steps are needed.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
13-03-2013, 02:09 AM
The moon was totally worth it! Think of all the inspiration it gave to kids and adults alike. I would bet that a significant portion of tech over the following decades was created by people who may have otherwise never become interested in science. Until then, most people didn't think of the moon as a place...
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
13-03-2013, 02:13 AM
(13-03-2013 01:47 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  One day we won't all fit on this planet. One day this planet may not be fit for us.

One day we'll look around and say, "Damn, life would be easier if we lived out there."

That day will be easier if we have the technology to build a ship to fly us "out there". But one must walk before one can run, and going on these little short distance trips to the moon, or Mars, is our space travel equivalent of baby steps; necessary steps to develop bigger, better, faster ships so mankind can spread our inimitable inanity throughout the galaxy.

Besides, if not, then one day some super asteroid will hit the earth, the one that destroys us, maybe, or some other extinction event. The only way to survive that is to not be here when it happens.

In order for mankind to survive and thrive in the future, these baby steps are needed.

I agree. However we could also deflect the asteroid, that way we don't lose the earth Tongue

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

13-03-2013, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2013 09:50 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(12-03-2013 11:04 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.
There was no technology to allow us to go to the moon. Most of it had to be invented. Disposable diapers, Tang...bottled water, packaged foods that didn't need to be refrigerated. Satellite technology -- assuming you use a cell phone. Velcro came to us regular people because of space travel.

There was a huge jump in computer technology...

Didn't the lunar rover use some solar power? It was battery operated but I think it used solar power for some of it's features like communications. I do know it had specially designed to work in low gravity. Which in turn helped the auto industry...to develop better power steering and power breaks.

I'm sure by the time it's taken me to write this one...someone else has provided a more detailed list. Smile At the same time, sometimes I wonder about questions like this...I really hope i'm not doing someone else's homework assignment.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2013, 09:57 AM
(13-03-2013 02:13 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 01:47 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  One day we won't all fit on this planet. One day this planet may not be fit for us.

I agree. However we could also deflect the asteroid, that way we don't lose the earth Tongue
Sure, but without developing the technology for that, we'd surely fail, unless our plan is to deflect it with prayer. Shooting rockets at it while it's still far away in space, or sending Bruce Willis up there to drill into and detonate a nuke, either way, we gotta use space travel for the deflection, and it's not likely we'd invent and perfect that after we find the asteroid, so let's do it now.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
13-03-2013, 10:24 AM
(13-03-2013 09:57 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 02:13 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I agree. However we could also deflect the asteroid, that way we don't lose the earth Tongue
Sure, but without developing the technology for that, we'd surely fail, unless our plan is to deflect it with prayer. Shooting rockets at it while it's still far away in space, or sending Bruce Willis up there to drill into and detonate a nuke, either way, we gotta use space travel for the deflection, and it's not likely we'd invent and perfect that after we find the asteroid, so let's do it now.
Why stop with just sending Bruce Willis? Why not send Sly Stallon and Arnold too? I'm fairly confident the three stooges up there could get it done and it would solve the problem of horrible movies and repeating old glories.....

Perchance to dream?

13-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote:Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere?

Sad

Explain that, so it's less depressing.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
13-03-2013, 10:35 AM
(13-03-2013 10:24 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 09:57 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Sure, but without developing the technology for that, we'd surely fail, unless our plan is to deflect it with prayer. Shooting rockets at it while it's still far away in space, or sending Bruce Willis up there to drill into and detonate a nuke, either way, we gotta use space travel for the deflection, and it's not likely we'd invent and perfect that after we find the asteroid, so let's do it now.
Why stop with just sending Bruce Willis? Why not send Sly Stallon and Arnold too? I'm fairly confident the three stooges up there could get it done and it would solve the problem of horrible movies and repeating old glories.....

Perchance to dream?
Awww, now that was hardly fair.

I did a survey of all my DVDs and Blu-Rays, and I have 27 Bruce Willis movies, 16 Schwartzenegger movies, and 16 Stallone movies, making those three guys the top dogs of my movie collection. I'm personally hurt that you would disparage my three heroes like that. Them's fightin' words!

Naw, it's OK, I've matured almost entirely beyond fighting over celebrities.

[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
13-03-2013, 10:52 AM
(13-03-2013 10:35 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 10:24 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Why stop with just sending Bruce Willis? Why not send Sly Stallon and Arnold too? I'm fairly confident the three stooges up there could get it done and it would solve the problem of horrible movies and repeating old glories.....

Perchance to dream?
Awww, now that was hardly fair.

I did a survey of all my DVDs and Blu-Rays, and I have 27 Bruce Willis movies, 16 Schwartzenegger movies, and 16 Stallone movies, making those three guys the top dogs of my movie collection. I'm personally hurt that you would disparage my three heroes like that. Them's fightin' words!

Naw, it's OK, I've matured almost entirely beyond fighting over celebrities.
Wow...seriously 27 bruce willis movies?

(backs away slowly)

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post