Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2013, 04:57 PM
RE: Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?
(13-03-2013 03:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh dear did I participate in a thread derailment? Sincere apologies to the op.

Wink have a nice day and a pleasant tomorrow.
It's all good. I'm a fan of the Die Hard's and thought Looper was an interesting movie. I was curious though how the cops couldn't just track down the massive power surges the mafia used when they sent someone into the past, but that's me probably reading to far into it.

And no you aren't doing my homework. I asked because the only person I've heard an answer to from was Neil Degrasse Tyson and on this he didn't do the best of jobs. Not to mention that many seem to take any advancement in space as from the Lunar missions specifically.

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2013, 05:08 PM
(13-03-2013 04:57 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 03:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh dear did I participate in a thread derailment? Sincere apologies to the op.

It's all good. I'm a fan of the Die Hard's and thought Looper was an interesting movie. I was curious though how the cops couldn't just track down the massive power surges the mafia used when they sent someone into the past, but that's me probably reading to far into it.

And no you aren't doing my homework. I asked because the only person I've heard an answer to from was Neil Degrasse Tyson and on this he didn't do the best of jobs. Not to mention that many seem to take any advancement in space as from the Lunar missions specifically.

In that case I'm sure you'll fit right in.

The homework bit was a joke. I did see a rather exhaustive list once of things I'd never thought of. I did try to find it but couldn't. The article I'm nearly certain about, was written in reference to the apollo 11 anniversary, in I guess (gasp) 2009.

I know I saw something on Netflix once about the apollo program that also contained a list. But my son at the time was into all that, and we watched a lot of it...so I can't recall which said what specifically. It might have been From Earth to the Moon, but don't quote me on that.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

13-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Two more thread derailments of this quality and you get to join the TTA Inner Secret Circle. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-03-2013, 03:00 AM
(13-03-2013 01:47 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  One day we won't all fit on this planet. One day this planet may not be fit for us.

One day we'll look around and say, "Damn, life would be easier if we lived out there."

That day will be easier if we have the technology to build a ship to fly us "out there". But one must walk before one can run, and going on these little short distance trips to the moon, or Mars, is our space travel equivalent of baby steps; necessary steps to develop bigger, better, faster ships so mankind can spread our inimitable inanity throughout the galaxy.

Besides, if not, then one day some super asteroid will hit the earth, the one that destroys us, maybe, or some other extinction event. The only way to survive that is to not be here when it happens.

In order for mankind to survive and thrive in the future, these baby steps are needed.

There is a good argument that very soon population growth will be leveling off. If we do go off world, I suspect it won't be because we need more space, but rather because we don't like the current set of assholes in power. Get rid of birth control and we colonize the universe.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
16-03-2013, 03:57 PM
(15-03-2013 03:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-03-2013 01:47 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  One day we won't all fit on this planet. One day this planet may not be fit for us.

One day we'll look around and say, "Damn, life would be easier if we lived out there."

That day will be easier if we have the technology to build a ship to fly us "out there". But one must walk before one can run, and going on these little short distance trips to the moon, or Mars, is our space travel equivalent of baby steps; necessary steps to develop bigger, better, faster ships so mankind can spread our inimitable inanity throughout the galaxy.

Besides, if not, then one day some super asteroid will hit the earth, the one that destroys us, maybe, or some other extinction event. The only way to survive that is to not be here when it happens.

In order for mankind to survive and thrive in the future, these baby steps are needed.

There is a good argument that very soon population growth will be leveling off. If we do go off world, I suspect it won't be because we need more space, but rather because we don't like the current set of assholes in power. Get rid of birth control and we colonize the universe.
Wars, contamination, diseases, self destruction, etc. will put an end to all of us, more sooner than later.

So I'm convinced humanity will disappear before we need and have the possibilities to populate another planet.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
16-03-2013, 05:12 PM
(16-03-2013 03:57 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(15-03-2013 03:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  There is a good argument that very soon population growth will be leveling off. If we do go off world, I suspect it won't be because we need more space, but rather because we don't like the current set of assholes in power. Get rid of birth control and we colonize the universe.
Wars, contamination, diseases, self destruction, etc. will put an end to all of us, more sooner than later.

So I'm convinced humanity will disappear before we need and have the possibilities to populate another planet.

There are people who believe that's happened before. Our planet is billions of years old. We could be humans 2.8 or whatever.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

17-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I think one day the moon will be worth mining. There are places that contain reasonable amounts of volatiles/ice water. The gravity isn't so high that sending minerals to earth would be prohibitively expensive.

Also - lunar space elevators would be practical and could be constructed using high-strength commercially available materials such as Kevlar, Spectra or M5 Fibre.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
18-03-2013, 02:27 AM
(16-03-2013 03:57 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(15-03-2013 03:00 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  There is a good argument that very soon population growth will be leveling off. If we do go off world, I suspect it won't be because we need more space, but rather because we don't like the current set of assholes in power. Get rid of birth control and we colonize the universe.

Sadly, you may be right.

KingsChosen is a lying douchebag
18-03-2013, 04:32 AM
(12-03-2013 11:04 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I was just thinking about whether or not it was really worth it to go to the moon and to be honest I'm not so sure. For one, our primary driver at the time was purely motivated by politics. We went because we didn't want the Soviets to get there first. What though did we gain. I want to be very specific here. I'm not asking what we gain by space exploration. I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.

Some of this is might be difficult to determine since it's asking a "what if" question. Still, has there been any studies so to speak of what we gained going to the moon? Again, not space exploration in general but the moon specifically.

Likewise, there is usually off and on talk about going to mars. Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere? Other research in other areas of science; or other areas of the economy? I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on the matter is and what information you might have on these subjects.
[Image: SpaceMonkey.jpg]
First American in Space

Of course the Moon Program was worth it! Dude...the inventions and technological spinoffs that America and the world got from the Apollo Moon Program are almost too many to name, but I'll name a few of the very best.

[Image: image.php?type=D&path=products_h...mp;amp;sz=]
Who could imagine starting a day without flossing with Bacon Floss?

[Image: fork-chops-310x357.jpg]
Fork Chops have made Chinese and Japanese food accessible to Americans.

[Image: rickh.jpg]
The Astronaut Vacuum Hair Trimmer: Fast, Safe and Clean.

[Image: iWipe.jpg]
The iWipe Toilet-Paper Phone and MP3 Player (with 4 MP Camera!)

[Image: medium_2e3003943de7253bb2c19c38d94b3729.jpg]
The DVD Rewinder!!!
18-03-2013, 08:38 PM
(18-03-2013 04:32 AM)Julius Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 11:04 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I was just thinking about whether or not it was really worth it to go to the moon and to be honest I'm not so sure. For one, our primary driver at the time was purely motivated by politics. We went because we didn't want the Soviets to get there first. What though did we gain. I want to be very specific here. I'm not asking what we gain by space exploration. I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.

Some of this is might be difficult to determine since it's asking a "what if" question. Still, has there been any studies so to speak of what we gained going to the moon? Again, not space exploration in general but the moon specifically.

Likewise, there is usually off and on talk about going to mars. Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere? Other research in other areas of science; or other areas of the economy? I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on the matter is and what information you might have on these subjects.
[Image: SpaceMonkey.jpg]
First American in Space

Of course the Moon Program was worth it! Dude...the inventions and technological spinoffs that America and the world got from the Apollo Moon Program are almost too many to name, but I'll name a few of the very best.

[Image: image.php?type=D&path=products_h...mp;amp;sz=]
Who could imagine starting a day without flossing with Bacon Floss?

[Image: fork-chops-310x357.jpg]
Fork Chops have made Chinese and Japanese food accessible to Americans.

[Image: rickh.jpg]
The Astronaut Vacuum Hair Trimmer: Fast, Safe and Clean.

[Image: iWipe.jpg]
The iWipe Toilet-Paper Phone and MP3 Player (with 4 MP Camera!)

[Image: medium_2e3003943de7253bb2c19c38d94b3729.jpg]
The DVD Rewinder!!!
Yep that convinced me. Especially that dvd rewinder. Never could figure out how to rewatch all the dvd's that I have. Even those Fork chops are truly a miracle in tech. How on earth were people eating before those things. Must have been the stone age or something.

Just an outsider looking inn.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Full Moon on Friday the 13th JDog554 30 755 16-06-2014 01:44 PM
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Water on Mars not that long ago JDog554 0 45 25-04-2014 05:25 PM
Last Post: JDog554
  Possible new Saturn moon JDog554 12 221 16-04-2014 12:24 PM
Last Post: JDog554
  Lunar eclipse April 15, Blood Moon rising Full Circle 12 235 10-04-2014 12:12 PM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
  Planet Yahweh and its moon, Jesus Bible Belt Brawler 4 104 07-04-2014 08:38 AM
Last Post: sporehux
  Living on Mars =jesse= 18 282 01-03-2014 10:01 AM
Last Post: Chas
  Mystery Rock just shows up on Mars- Bows and Arrows 6 210 21-01-2014 08:54 AM
Last Post: Hafnof