Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2013 06:21 PM by Luminon.)
RE: Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?
No, it wasn't worth all the times afterwards. Moon = politics. They were up there about 5 times since then and nobody gave a crap. Satellites in the orbit are much more important. The first time it might give us lots of inspiration, Earth seen whole from space and all that, but it should give us motivation to solve our problems here, not try to escape.

And no, we're not going anywhere. No family living today will ever step on another planet and probably not in several generations at least. Neither should they. What happens on Earth, stays on Earth. There is no good reason to travel to other planets. Either we solve our problems here and now, or we die, that's it. I have read enough trashy sci-fi novels of what happens when people let capitalism and war spread into the galaxy.

I'd of course welcome the space exploration when there is a guarantee that the newly discovered mineral deposits and alien species won't be turned into Coca Cola cans and fashionable handbags. Damn, what a good idea for a trashy sci-fi novel! Capitalist invaders from Earth, coming in service of the self-perpetuating garbage cycle Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2013, 07:27 PM
(20-03-2013 06:17 PM)Luminon Wrote:  No, it wasn't worth all the times afterwards. Moon = politics. They were up there about 5 times since then and nobody gave a crap. Satellites in the orbit are much more important. The first time it might give us lots of inspiration, Earth seen whole from space and all that, but it should give us motivation to solve our problems here, not try to escape.

And no, we're not going anywhere. No family living today will ever step on another planet and probably not in several generations at least. Neither should they. What happens on Earth, stays on Earth. There is no good reason to travel to other planets. Either we solve our problems here and now, or we die, that's it. I have read enough trashy sci-fi novels of what happens when people let capitalism and war spread into the galaxy.

I'd of course welcome the space exploration when there is a guarantee that the newly discovered mineral deposits and alien species won't be turned into Coca Cola cans and fashionable handbags. Damn, what a good idea for a trashy sci-fi novel! Capitalist invaders from Earth, coming in service of the self-perpetuating garbage cycle Smile
The arguments that have been made here and I think are pretty convincing is that the act of going to the moon brought new technologies to the forefront. There is certainly a case the the other missions may not have had as much value but I do think the original one did. As such, it is a legitimate argument to say that going to mars will also bring a spurt of new techs since it involves a lot more logistical, and technical planning. What that might be I'm not sure but I would guess that in the area's of power and material, to name two off hand, there would be a good reason for NASA to push for improvements. Shy

By the way. Whenever you feel that you've got the chance I'd still love to get into the, where do we go from here, conversation. I don't want to distract you from that paper so take your time. Cool

Just an outsider looking inn.
20-03-2013, 10:09 PM
mining the moon eh?

20-03-2013, 11:32 PM
(20-03-2013 10:09 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  mining the moon eh?

Interesting movie idea but defies gravity... LOL!

"The moon is breaking up!"

I probably wouldn't be able to watch such a movie unless it was intended as comedy. Couldn't suspend disbelief with such a flawed story.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
21-03-2013, 12:31 AM
(20-03-2013 11:32 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 10:09 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  mining the moon eh?

Interesting movie idea but defies gravity... LOL!

"The moon is breaking up!"

I probably wouldn't be able to watch such a movie unless it was intended as comedy. Couldn't suspend disbelief with such a flawed story.
He travels through time in what looks like like a giant 19th century spinning wheel/loom, made from pipes and bicycle parts...

"This is ridiculous, the gravity isn't right."
21-03-2013, 03:29 AM
(20-03-2013 07:27 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  The arguments that have been made here and I think are pretty convincing is that the act of going to the moon brought new technologies to the forefront. There is certainly a case the the other missions may not have had as much value but I do think the original one did. As such, it is a legitimate argument to say that going to mars will also bring a spurt of new techs since it involves a lot more logistical, and technical planning. What that might be I'm not sure but I would guess that in the area's of power and material, to name two off hand, there would be a good reason for NASA to push for improvements. Shy

By the way. Whenever you feel that you've got the chance I'd still love to get into the, where do we go from here, conversation. I don't want to distract you from that paper so take your time. Cool
Well, there's a couple of more papers to go and the other half of the thesis - all till the end of April. But I reckon when I take a break from these, you'd be the best choice. Your avatar picture always catches my attention! ∑:o

But please start a thread first and ask your questions there, I'll try to answer them and that's how we'll get on track. I don't know where to start it, Science, Politics, Philosophy? There ought to be a one on one section somewhere around, but it's called The Boxing Ring and that's hope not how we'll talk Smile
21-03-2013, 10:39 AM
(21-03-2013 03:29 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 07:27 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  The arguments that have been made here and I think are pretty convincing is that the act of going to the moon brought new technologies to the forefront. There is certainly a case the the other missions may not have had as much value but I do think the original one did. As such, it is a legitimate argument to say that going to mars will also bring a spurt of new techs since it involves a lot more logistical, and technical planning. What that might be I'm not sure but I would guess that in the area's of power and material, to name two off hand, there would be a good reason for NASA to push for improvements. Shy

Well, there's a couple of more papers to go and the other half of the thesis - all till the end of April. But I reckon when I take a break from these, you'd be the best choice. Your avatar picture always catches my attention! ∑:o

But please start a thread first and ask your questions there, I'll try to answer them and that's how we'll get on track. I don't know where to start it, Science, Politics, Philosophy? There ought to be a one on one section somewhere around, but it's called The Boxing Ring and that's hope not how we'll talk Smile

I'll throw the question out in the politics section since that seems like the one most suited for such a broad question. Shy

Quote: Your avatar picture always catches my attention! ∑:o
Us foxes always have a way have distracting people. This you should know is a scientific fact. Sleepy

Now if only we could find a way to slip into the inner rankings of the NWO leaders. Consider

Just an outsider looking inn.
23-03-2013, 11:48 AM
(12-03-2013 11:04 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I was just thinking about whether or not it was really worth it to go to the moon and to be honest I'm not so sure. For one, our primary driver at the time was purely motivated by politics. We went because we didn't want the Soviets to get there first. What though did we gain. I want to be very specific here. I'm not asking what we gain by space exploration. I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.

Some of this is might be difficult to determine since it's asking a "what if" question. Still, has there been any studies so to speak of what we gained going to the moon? Again, not space exploration in general but the moon specifically.

Likewise, there is usually off and on talk about going to mars. Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere? Other research in other areas of science; or other areas of the economy? I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on the matter is and what information you might have on these subjects.

Was it worth it? I think trying to answer this question from a personal standpoint would be fruitless as it all depends on what you consider "worth it". Was it financially worth it? Was it worth our time? Was it worth the metal and plastic that was used on the spacecraft?

I think in terms of exploration and seeking answers about the cosmos then not only is worth it, its the only way.
23-03-2013, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 03:36 PM by Lienda Bella.)
We have nothing to learn from other worlds. It's not like the sun is going to screw us in the end anyway. That's a job for the Hydra goddess. (I don't believe in a lizard goddess, actually.)
24-03-2013, 09:42 AM
(23-03-2013 03:31 PM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  We have nothing to learn from other worlds. It's not like the sun is going to screw us in the end anyway. That's a job for the Hydra goddess. (I don't believe in a lizard goddess, actually.)
WTAF?

We have multitudinous volumes to learn from other worlds.

And the sun is going to screw us in the end. It will become a red giant and incinerate the earth.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user