Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2013, 09:43 AM
RE: Was the moon worth it, and will mars be?
(20-03-2013 06:17 PM)Luminon Wrote:  No, it wasn't worth all the times afterwards. Moon = politics. They were up there about 5 times since then and nobody gave a crap. Satellites in the orbit are much more important. The first time it might give us lots of inspiration, Earth seen whole from space and all that, but it should give us motivation to solve our problems here, not try to escape.

And no, we're not going anywhere. No family living today will ever step on another planet and probably not in several generations at least. Neither should they. What happens on Earth, stays on Earth. There is no good reason to travel to other planets. Either we solve our problems here and now, or we die, that's it. I have read enough trashy sci-fi novels of what happens when people let capitalism and war spread into the galaxy.

I'd of course welcome the space exploration when there is a guarantee that the newly discovered mineral deposits and alien species won't be turned into Coca Cola cans and fashionable handbags. Damn, what a good idea for a trashy sci-fi novel! Capitalist invaders from Earth, coming in service of the self-perpetuating garbage cycle Smile

Your view is so short-sighted and ignorant that it will take me some time to calm down enough to give a reasoned reply.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2013, 10:03 PM
(12-03-2013 11:04 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I was just thinking about whether or not it was really worth it to go to the moon and to be honest I'm not so sure. For one, our primary driver at the time was purely motivated by politics. We went because we didn't want the Soviets to get there first. What though did we gain. I want to be very specific here. I'm not asking what we gain by space exploration. I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.

Some of this is might be difficult to determine since it's asking a "what if" question. Still, has there been any studies so to speak of what we gained going to the moon? Again, not space exploration in general but the moon specifically.

Likewise, there is usually off and on talk about going to mars. Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere? Other research in other areas of science; or other areas of the economy? I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on the matter is and what information you might have on these subjects.
it was absolutly worth it. if for nothing else it inspired a generation to persue careers in science and engineering which is a great driver of economy. as for spending resourses on other sciences you should realize that "cross-pollination" is very important. money must be spent on all the sciences. medical doctors for example did not invent most of the tools they use. also the money spent on the space program is very small in comparison to the taxes collected. you want to cut something try the military budget. trips to the moon and mars are more important than you might think.
Find all posts by this user
24-03-2013, 10:14 PM
(24-03-2013 10:03 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(12-03-2013 11:04 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  I was just thinking about whether or not it was really worth it to go to the moon and to be honest I'm not so sure. For one, our primary driver at the time was purely motivated by politics. We went because we didn't want the Soviets to get there first. What though did we gain. I want to be very specific here. I'm not asking what we gain by space exploration. I'm asking what we gained, technologically, economically, and scientifically by going to the moon.

Some of this is might be difficult to determine since it's asking a "what if" question. Still, has there been any studies so to speak of what we gained going to the moon? Again, not space exploration in general but the moon specifically.

Likewise, there is usually off and on talk about going to mars. Is this worth it or is money spent better elsewhere? Other research in other areas of science; or other areas of the economy? I would like to hear what everyone's opinion on the matter is and what information you might have on these subjects.
it was absolutly worth it. if for nothing else it inspired a generation to persue careers in science and engineering which is a great driver of economy. as for spending resourses on other sciences you should realize that "cross-pollination" is very important. money must be spent on all the sciences. medical doctors for example did not invent most of the tools they use. also the money spent on the space program is very small in comparison to the taxes collected. you want to cut something try the military budget. trips to the moon and mars are more important than you might think.
At this point I think it's necessary to say that I'm convinced that we were right to go to the moon and should go to other planets. Though I think that for the long term we should build a moon base for deep space exploration first.

There is still a great deal that I don't know on this subject and hope to learn and I have always( well as long as I've been a skeptic at least) thought that science was and is the key to our survival and advancement as a species. I just have one more thing that I ultimately can add to the science win category.

Just an outsider looking inn.
Find all posts by this user