Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"
[note to moderators: I apologize if I misplaced this topic: this is an alleged paranormal event, and not really about health or psychnology. However, it specifically deals with issues requiring medical expertise, and so I thought it would be better to post it here]

Supposedly, a Nigerian man was raised from being dead for over two days. Here is a website discussing it (from a *skeptical* christian perspective, surprisingly):

http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/ekechart.html

Here is a documentary on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Na1B7Mk71U

There is a lot of information to check out there, but the long and short of it is; this fellow was in a car accident, declared dead, and at least 48 hours later, was 'raised' from whatever state he was in, in a church, after many people there had been praying for him. He claimed that while he was 'dead', he was given a graphic tour of Heaven & Hell by an angel.

In my opinion, two things really stand out about the case. First, the mortician supposedly injected a considerable amount of embalming fluid in him *before* attempting a regular embalming later on (which he said he decided to give up on, because he felt the body giving him supernatural-electric shocks, later on it induced sounds of angelic singing coming from the room it was in, or something). A total of about five or six syringes worth, some in his hands, some in his feet. Second, the former-dead guy allegedly had cotton balls in his nostrils for a considerable amount of time after leaving the morgue and being placed in a coffin.

I think it is odd that a half dozen or so syringes of embalming fluid would be injected into a body *before* a real embalming. I've read other pages on the case, and one said it was to stiffen his fingers and toes, probably to make them look better for the funeral. Is that normally done even before a complete embalming is performed? And if not, what else good would some "pre-embalming" procedure like that actually do? In a dead body, it would just remain around the area of injection, and not flow to the rest of it to prevent decay.

However, the cotton balls in his nostrils are harder to explain (this happened after the mortician complained of the supernatural phenomenon surrounding the dead body, after which the family took it from the morgue and put it in a coffin). Could someone have such low breathing rate that they could stay alive through that?

I appreciate any responses given.

P.S. I posted this on other atheism-related forums, though I won't give out links to where, as it would be in bad taste to potentially divert viewers away from this one. But if anyone finds this post familiar, then that is probably why.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 06:11 PM
RE: Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"
(28-01-2014 10:18 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  [note to moderators: I apologize if I misplaced this topic: this is an alleged paranormal event, and not really about health or psychnology. However, it specifically deals with issues requiring medical expertise, and so I thought it would be better to post it here]

Supposedly, a Nigerian man was raised from being dead for over two days. Here is a website discussing it (from a *skeptical* christian perspective, surprisingly):

There is a lot of information to check out there, but the long and short of it is; this fellow was in a car accident, declared dead, and at least 48 hours later, was 'raised' from whatever state he was in, in a church, after many people there had been praying for him. He claimed that while he was 'dead', he was given a graphic tour of Heaven & Hell by an angel.

In my opinion, two things really stand out about the case. First, the mortician supposedly injected a considerable amount of embalming fluid in him *before* attempting a regular embalming later on (which he said he decided to give up on, because he felt the body giving him supernatural-electric shocks, later on it induced sounds of angelic singing coming from the room it was in, or something). A total of about five or six syringes worth, some in his hands, some in his feet. Second, the former-dead guy allegedly had cotton balls in his nostrils for a considerable amount of time after leaving the morgue and being placed in a coffin.

I think it is odd that a half dozen or so syringes of embalming fluid would be injected into a body *before* a real embalming. I've read other pages on the case, and one said it was to stiffen his fingers and toes, probably to make them look better for the funeral. Is that normally done even before a complete embalming is performed? And if not, what else good would some "pre-embalming" procedure like that actually do? In a dead body, it would just remain around the area of injection, and not flow to the rest of it to prevent decay.

However, the cotton balls in his nostrils are harder to explain (this happened after the mortician complained of the supernatural phenomenon surrounding the dead body, after which the family took it from the morgue and put it in a coffin). Could someone have such low breathing rate that they could stay alive through that?

P.S. I posted this on other atheism-related forums, though I won't give out links to where, as it would be in bad taste to potentially divert viewers away from this one. But if anyone finds this post familiar, then that is probably why.

Any reports from unbiased or otherwise reputable sources? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2014, 06:47 PM
First Nigerian Princes trying to give you money and now Nigerian Zombies walking around...what is it with Nigeria?

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-01-2014, 07:33 PM
There is more info scattered around the net, so I can't list all of it. But the main issues I have are 1) Is there or is there not a 'medically' valid, or taxodermically valid, or whatever, reason for a mortician to inject around half a dozen syringes of embalming fluid into a dead human body *before* a full embalming is done? 2) Could somebody have had such a slight breathing rate that it would go unnoticed even after having cotton balls stuffed in their nose, and thus that person would appear "dead" (as supposedly happened to this Nigerian fellow's body)?
29-01-2014, 07:52 PM
(29-01-2014 07:33 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  There is more info scattered around the net, so I can't list all of it. But the main issues I have are 1) Is there or is there not a 'medically' valid, or taxodermically valid, or whatever, reason for a mortician to inject around half a dozen syringes of embalming fluid into a dead human body *before* a full embalming is done? 2) Could somebody have had such a slight breathing rate that it would go unnoticed even after having cotton balls stuffed in their nose, and thus that person would appear "dead" (as supposedly happened to this Nigerian fellow's body)?
I suggest you to ask your questions here; we have an actual mortician on this forum. Thumbsup

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
29-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Nigerian scamers finally figured out the most ripe target demographic

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
29-01-2014, 08:00 PM
Half-assed eleven-year-old Christian propaganda from the ass end of the world is hardly worth the time it takes to write this post. Colonial medical tech, superstitious natives, conflicting testimonies; pretty much a non-story.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Why does it have to be Nigerian ? Why not Danish ?
Nothing against Nigerians but there is a legacy of............well interesting scams. (No offence, just some observations)

Does giving credit card numbers have anything to do with the story ?

Bottom line - you don't have access to the medical notes or data in the 48hr period and pretty much depending on sources which cannot be verified, all sorts of information maybe omitted, biased or distorted - you cannot vouch for credibility.

Then again....maybe he has risen from the dead - but needed an extra day dead to be the messiah.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
29-01-2014, 09:22 PM
(28-01-2014 10:18 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  [note to moderators: I apologize if I misplaced this topic: this is an alleged paranormal event, and not really about health or psychnology. However, it specifically deals with issues requiring medical expertise, and so I thought it would be better to post it here]

What about all the cases of death where this doesn't happen?

Drinking Beverage
29-01-2014, 09:35 PM
The website is full of apologist stories. They're crap!
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post