Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 11:04 PM
RE: Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"
Ok, I posted a question elsewhere, in the 'ask the mortician' thread. Whether in this one or that, I hope somebody can give some qualified advice or answer or something. Fingers crossed....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 11:22 PM
(29-01-2014 11:04 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  Ok, I posted a question elsewhere, in the 'ask the mortician' thread. Whether in this one or that, I hope somebody can give some qualified advice or answer or something. Fingers crossed....

I'm failing to see what part of "bullshit from the ass end of the universe" is difficult to understand. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-01-2014, 11:36 PM
(28-01-2014 10:18 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  Supposedly, a Nigerian man was raised from being dead for over two days. Here is a website discussing it (from a *skeptical* christian perspective, surprisingly):

I hope you don't expect this to be taken seriously. Drinking Beverage

Ok, I'm sorry for being an ass, but these kinds of claims are a dime a dozen, and they never withstand even the most basic critical examination. It just isn't worth the time of even clicking on the link. Come back and ask again, when people are rising from their graves by the millions.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
29-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Quote:I'm failing to see what part of "bullshit from the ass end of the universe" is difficult to understand. Dodgy

The lack of details from a qualified expert, for one. Hopefully the mortician has a more powerful telescope. And rubber gloves.
29-01-2014, 11:56 PM
(29-01-2014 11:39 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  
Quote:I'm failing to see what part of "bullshit from the ass end of the universe" is difficult to understand. Dodgy

The lack of details from a qualified expert, for one. Hopefully the mortician has a more powerful telescope. And rubber gloves.

A qualified expert to do what, exactly? Travel back in time? It's fucking Nigeria. Twelve years ago. You got some Fox Mulder going on, or what?

30-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Quote:A qualified expert to do what, exactly? Travel back in time? It's fucking Nigeria. Twelve years ago. You got some Fox Mulder going on, or what?

No, I'm looking for that remote-viewing shtick, of course. Surely somebody can pull it off!Tongue

Seriously though, some medical knowledge on those two questions could shed light on this 'case'. I'm still wondering, first, if injecting considerable amounts of embalming fluid in a body *before* the full embalming is regularly practised by morticians (either here or in the third world), and second; could some strange medical condition keep a person respirating at a very slight, almost unnoticable rate, in a coffin & with cotton balls stuffed in their nose? Catalepsy, perhaps? Or maybe not. I am, as I've made clear, not an expert.

Maybe that Christian fundamentalist childhood brainwashing I endured as a child makes me overly curious about these matters. But I am what I am.
30-01-2014, 12:27 AM
(30-01-2014 12:17 AM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  
Quote:A qualified expert to do what, exactly? Travel back in time? It's fucking Nigeria. Twelve years ago. You got some Fox Mulder going on, or what?

No, I'm looking for that remote-viewing shtick, of course. Surely somebody can pull it off!Tongue

Seriously though, some medical knowledge on those two questions could shed light on this 'case'. I'm still wondering, first, if injecting considerable amounts of embalming fluid in a body *before* the full embalming is regularly practised by morticians (either here or in the third world), and second; could some strange medical condition keep a person respirating at a very slight, almost unnoticable rate, in a coffin & with cotton balls stuffed in their nose? Catalepsy, perhaps? Or maybe not. I am, as I've made clear, not an expert.

Maybe that Christian fundamentalist childhood brainwashing I endured as a child makes me overly curious about these matters. But I am what I am.

Le sigh. Dodgy

From yer own fucking links, there is no reason to conclude either of these things actually happened.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-01-2014, 12:44 AM
(30-01-2014 12:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  From yer own fucking links, there is no reason to conclude either of these things actually happened.

Well, there was alleged eyewitness testimony of the people doing those things, and the first-hand interviews in the documentary supported the miracle as authentic. Myself, I doubt that it actually is. The thing does reak of being an urban legend or hoax-type event. Still, the latter link of the first post was "pro-miracle" and hence, it is a bit of a stretch to state that my links gave "no reason" to conclude such events actually happened.

I'm just trying to see how these experiences match up to real life explanations and data. But I'm NOT an expert, other people are, and I thought posting about it here might be a good way to communicate with them.
30-01-2014, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 01:46 AM by Free Thought.)
(30-01-2014 12:44 AM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 12:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  From yer own fucking links, there is no reason to conclude either of these things actually happened.

Well, there was alleged eyewitness testimony of the people doing those things, and the first-hand interviews in the documentary supported the miracle as authentic. Myself, I doubt that it actually is. The thing does reak of being an urban legend or hoax-type event. Still, the latter link of the first post was "pro-miracle" and hence, it is a bit of a stretch to state that my links gave "no reason" to conclude such events actually happened.

I'm just trying to see how these experiences match up to real life explanations and data. But I'm NOT an expert, other people are, and I thought posting about it here might be a good way to communicate with them.

Firstly, Eye witness testimony is the least credible form of admissible evidence (at least in most places with UK/US-based or similar legal systems), being just slightly more credibly than "Hearsay evidence" (which is inadmissible), as the witness 'was' there to see whatever it is they were supposed to have seen.
However, more often than not so far as I understand it, an Eye witness, even a completely honest and earnest one, is very likely to be giving 'false' testimony, not for malicious reasons, but rather because that is how the brain works; it aint great at remembering to put it simply.

Now that is assuming the 'eye witnesses' in question aren't lying through their teeth (and talking out of the opposite end of their digestive system).

In regard to the "not an expert" thing...
I can tell you, as a layman myself, that it didn't happen. This might seem redundant but..
[Image: peopledie.jpg]
And it's completely true if you think about it past it's redundancy.
If you hear a person say "I have been dead", they are lying or misinformed. A dead person, by definition has absolutely no neurological activity to the point of irreversibility; nothing in the body (think the heart and longs) works, actively or passively without outside assistance at that point; no human has ever 'died and been saved/came back' it is by definition not possible and has (To my knowledge) never been recorded otherwise. Though it would be interesting to see a man with an absolutely non-functional brain suddenly living after a while...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
30-01-2014, 04:00 AM
Re: RE: Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"
(30-01-2014 12:17 AM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  

No, you are being as gullible a most Christians and all fundagelicals are. Is there any reason to think any part of the embalming fluid or cotton ball claims are correct? Show that first then maybe someone will take your question seriously. Until then, please don't expect anyone to take your gullibility seriously.

Using Tapatalk