Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 09:01 AM
RE: Was this a genuine medical miracle? An alleged "resurrection from the dead"
(29-01-2014 07:33 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  There is more info scattered around the net, so I can't list all of it. But the main issues I have are 1) Is there or is there not a 'medically' valid, or taxodermically valid, or whatever, reason for a mortician to inject around half a dozen syringes of embalming fluid into a dead human body *before* a full embalming is done? 2) Could somebody have had such a slight breathing rate that it would go unnoticed even after having cotton balls stuffed in their nose, and thus that person would appear "dead" (as supposedly happened to this Nigerian fellow's body)?

No, no, no. You are asking the wrong questions. You first need to establish whether any of this actually happened.

You have not done so. Not even close.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
30-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Alright, I gave two links. The first actually did have a fair amount of references and, yes, *other* links, and I suppose sifting through it all could strike some as a useless bore. Few cases like these are ever summed up in one bite-sized page, and I have no website of my own to do such. You just have to roll up your sleeves and read through it all. With all those links in the first page, though, it can be hard to specify which one mentioned either of the specific two issues I brought up. So in case this one wasn't there, my apologies if it wasn't and I didn't give enough info, and here is the page that specifically mentioned the body being put in a coffin & cotton balls stuffed in his nonstrils: http://www.heavensfamily.org/ss/pastor-d...surrection

But its only fair to mention that direct testimony concerning the issue of the other question -- is it or is it not sound medical practice to inject considerable amounts of embalming fluid into a body *before* its fully embalmed--clearly *was* mentioned, in the second link my first post gave. The second link was to a 'docudrama' - part of it was actors reinacting the events described; part real-life interviews with the actual document-ees (or 'the documented', or whatever; I'm no English professor) testimonies. Around the ten minute mark, the mortician tells about the embalming fluid injection.
Find all posts by this user
30-01-2014, 06:42 PM
(30-01-2014 05:20 PM)Invisible Boy Wrote:  Alright, I gave two links. The first actually did have a fair amount of references and, yes, *other* links, and I suppose sifting through it all could strike some as a useless bore. Few cases like these are ever summed up in one bite-sized page, and I have no website of my own to do such. You just have to roll up your sleeves and read through it all. With all those links in the first page, though, it can be hard to specify which one mentioned either of the specific two issues I brought up. So in case this one wasn't there, my apologies if it wasn't and I didn't give enough info, and here is the page that specifically mentioned the body being put in a coffin & cotton balls stuffed in his nonstrils: http://www.heavensfamily.org/ss/pastor-d...surrection

But its only fair to mention that direct testimony concerning the issue of the other question -- is it or is it not sound medical practice to inject considerable amounts of embalming fluid into a body *before* its fully embalmed--clearly *was* mentioned, in the second link my first post gave. The second link was to a 'docudrama' - part of it was actors reinacting the events described; part real-life interviews with the actual document-ees (or 'the documented', or whatever; I'm no English professor) testimonies. Around the ten minute mark, the mortician tells about the embalming fluid injection.

Your reading a link from somewhere called "heaven's family"? Has the thought crossed your mind that some of the so called witnesses weren't actually there?

People exaggerate, stretch the truth and even outrightly lie for a myriad of reasons. Some believe that lying for Jesus is ok if it brings over others to their faith.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-01-2014, 08:49 PM
*myriad reasons.

That was for Vosur.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
30-01-2014, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 09:15 PM by Vosur.)
(30-01-2014 08:49 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  *myriad reasons.

That was for Vosur.
Unfortunately, I'm forced to correct the pseudo-Grammar Nazi. Smartass

"Myriad is derived from a Greek noun and adjective meaning ‘ten thousand.’ It was first used in English as a noun in reference to a great but indefinite number. The adjectival sense of ‘countless, innumerable’ appeared much later. In modern English, use of myriad as a noun and adjective are equally standard and correct, despite the fact that some traditionalists consider the adjective as the only acceptable use of the word."
Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...d?q=myriad

(30-01-2014 06:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Your reading a link from somewhere called "heaven's family"? Has the thought crossed your mind that some of the so called witnesses weren't actually there?
*You're

[Image: 3oDaEgY.png]

And with that, you have earned your spot on my list.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Vosur, your definition and explanation are fine; what you are failing to see is the word "of" in her post is incorrect. Replacing myriad with any of your examples then would be grammatically incorrect.

"Ten thousand" of reasons
"Innumerable" of reasons
"Countless" of reasons

These are all incorrect, hence "of" needs to be removed from the sentence to be correct. It's a common error, but an error just the same. Myriad means exactly what you said, it just wasn't used correctly.

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
30-01-2014, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 09:43 PM by Vosur.)
(30-01-2014 09:24 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Vosur, your definition and explanation are fine; what you are failing to see is the word "of" in her post is incorrect.
No, it isn't. Haven't you read the source I posted?

myriad
noun
Syllabification: myr·i·ad
Pronunciation: /ˈmirēəd
1. a countless or extremely great number
2. (chiefly in classical history) a unit of ten thousand.

Example sentences:
'They jumped over countless hedges and a myriad of small streams and barbed wire, all set up to prevent what was happening now.'
'Africa starts with 53 nations loaded with a myriad of problems and needs.'
'News that two young East Yorkshire men are set to become dot com millionaires will provoke a myriad of reactions.'

Edit: Besides, the citation I posted should have been sufficient since you cannot use a noun in this context without the preposition "of" (i.e. because "there are a ton reasons" doesn't work, while "there are a ton of reasons" does).

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-01-2014, 09:59 PM
OK, you got me.

That's almost 30 years of editing in the publishing, newspaper and magazine industry, where we strive to write economically, working for me. I've sat on numerous style and grammar committees and we've always refused to frame the sentence with the extraneous infinite article and preposition. I guess it's just preference, but my preference is still correct, too.

In your above examples, my version still works correctly and succinctly.

If it's tight, it's right. But, yes, you are correct, so I acquiesce.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
30-01-2014, 10:04 PM
(30-01-2014 09:59 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  If it's tight, it's right. But, yes, you are correct, so I acquiesce.
I simply couldn't stand there and watch you besmirch the honor of a formidable lady like Mom. Angel

Jokes aside, we all make mistakes; no hard feelings.

[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
30-01-2014, 10:09 PM
See, people? THAT is how you settle a dispute.

----
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post