Was this ignorant of my grandmother to say this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Was this ignorant of my grandmother to say this?
Me: Well grandma there's something I have to tell you.
Grandma: What's that?
Me: I'm an atheist.
Grandma: You know how I know you're not an atheist?
Me: How?
Grandma: Because you're not in prison right now.

I tried to quote her the evil quotes in the bible, like Numbers 31:17-18, but she ignored me and said I was delusional. I am now grounded and secretly writing this in my room.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2016, 09:47 AM
RE: Was this ignorant of my grandmother to say this?
Me: You have too much trust in the cops. Now give me all your life savings.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
29-04-2016, 10:33 AM
I wonder why Richard Dawkins hasn't been caught yet.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
29-04-2016, 10:45 AM
(29-04-2016 10:33 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I wonder why Richard Dawkins hasn't been caught yet.
Well obviously he's not an atheist then Rolleyes

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
29-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Me: Now that we both know that you can read my mind: What do i think right now?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
29-04-2016, 12:38 PM
(29-04-2016 09:39 AM)MatureMcLeod95 Wrote:  Me: Well grandma there's something I have to tell you.
Grandma: What's that?
Me: I'm an atheist.
Grandma: You know how I know you're not an atheist?
Me: How?
Grandma: Because you're not in prison right now.

I tried to quote her the evil quotes in the bible, like Numbers 31:17-18, but she ignored me and said I was delusional. I am now grounded and secretly writing this in my room.

Tell her this:

The vast majority of prisoners in the US are Christian. Per Capita atheists are vastly more under represented in prisons compared to all other segments of society. Atheists have a lower rate of divorce than all theists except Mormons, they have lower rates of teen pregnancy, have less domestic violence and gun violence than theists. Countries with the highest rates of atheists, like Norway and Sweden, have the least violence and give more to charitable organizations per capita than god believing countries.

Tell her that.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-04-2016, 01:07 PM
Yes, your grandmother made an ignorant statement. But she's your grandmother. She may have been in the church all of her life and never had the opportunity to taste life outside of her little church-world. She's speaking to you from her own position of limited knowledge, and she's probably held these views for 5+ decades. Is she at fault for being born in a generation without mass communication?

Rather than feel hurt and offended that her world view is so limited (probably by her circumstances), strive to change her position by being an amazing person who lives a good, productive life in spite of your atheism.

Work to earn her respect rather than expecting that she should already share your viewpoint.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
29-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Your grandmother is ignorant but ignorance is just a lack of knowledge and she can learn to understand what atheism is, it's just a lack of belief in a god, it doesn't determine if someone is good or bad. You can tell her the population of atheists in the prison system is 0.007%. You can also ask her if she thinks terrorists who blow themselves up are good people and when she says "No." remind her they only do it because they believe in a god and they are hoping for a reward by becoming a martyr. A belief in a god may make some people good but it can also have the exact opposite effect.

It reminds me of this awesome quote from Steven Weinberg:
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
29-04-2016, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 01:43 PM by SitaSky.)
(29-04-2016 01:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Rather than feel hurt and offended that her world view is so limited (probably by her circumstances), strive to change her position by being an amazing person who lives a good, productive life in spite of your atheism.

I respect your words and feelings on this issue but I don't think any of us have to be good "in spite of" our atheism, it should be because of our atheism and our adherence to universal morality based on empathy that is strengthened by our atheism and not in spite of it. A rejection of an immoral God myth is a good thing, not something that should be treated like an affliction or a disability like Beethoven being a gifted composer in spite of his hearing loss.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
29-04-2016, 01:44 PM
(29-04-2016 01:38 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 01:07 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Rather than feel hurt and offended that her world view is so limited (probably by her circumstances), strive to change her position by being an amazing person who lives a good, productive life in spite of your atheism.

I respect your words and feelings on this issue but I don't think any of us have to be good "in spite of" our atheism, it should be because of our atheism and our adherence to universal morality based on empathy that is strengthened by our atheism and not in spite of it. A rejection of an immoral God myth is a good thing, not something that should be treated like an affliction or a disability like Beethoven being a gifted composer in spite of his hearing loss.

I was more or less framing it from the grandmother's perspective and how she might view it. For sure, religious views have nothing to do with morality, success and happiness.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post