Washington Redskins name controversy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Washington Redskins name controversy
I know a lot of people are in favor of not changing the name of the Washington Redskins. What's the argument to not change the name, which is essentially a racial slur? The only one I can think of is the cost to re-brand everything? Others?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2014, 04:39 PM
RE: Washington Redskins name controversy
This came up in the "2014 NFL Thread" (in the "Sports" subforum) this morning. An argument is given there, although I don't find it compelling or convincing. Like you, I think the name is a racial slur and should be changed.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid673796
28-10-2014, 05:05 PM
They should be the Eagles - national bird and all - so Philly can be the Cheese Steaks. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that argument either. 'Atheist' and 'gay' are appropriate terms, even if the people using them don't like that group. 'Redskin' is an intentional racial slur. It's like saying calling someone gay is the same as calling someone a faggot if you ask me.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
28-10-2014, 05:10 PM
There are Native Americans for and against a name change. Lets not forget that the Washington Redskins do donate to reservations.
I am however impartial, but there is more to this than just a name.
Pride and Scorn.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-10-2014, 05:32 PM
I find I don't have a lot of patience with this dispute. The Redskins owners are a bunch of greedy corporate fucks.

But if the Native Americans pushing this spent 1/10th the amount of time an energy actually trying to do something to improve life on the reservations instead of worrying about fucking tokenism they'd accomplish a lot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservation_poverty

A pox on both their houses.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
28-10-2014, 11:11 PM
I don't understand how you can make the argument they're greedy... and that it would cost too much to re-brand.

If at all, it will boost sales of merchandises by extreme levels if they change the name. First off tons of fans will buy all the Redskins gear they can while it is available. Then most of Washington's fans are still going to be fans, and will then be buying gear of the new team name.

The only argument I've seen used is simply "Tradition" as a valued reason to retain the name. Though oddly the people I ask seem to not care that there is no longer a Washington Bullets NBA team but they are the Wizards.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
28-10-2014, 11:53 PM
(28-10-2014 11:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't understand how you can make the argument they're greedy... and that it would cost too much to re-brand.

If at all, it will boost sales of merchandises by extreme levels if they change the name. First off tons of fans will buy all the Redskins gear they can while it is available. Then most of Washington's fans are still going to be fans, and will then be buying gear of the new team name.

The only argument I've seen used is simply "Tradition" as a valued reason to retain the name. Though oddly the people I ask seem to not care that there is no longer a Washington Bullets NBA team but they are the Wizards.

They moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Maryland where they became the Ravens. Guess what? People bought Ravens merchandise. This shit has been done before, the owner need to pull his head out of his ass.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
29-10-2014, 06:52 AM
(28-10-2014 11:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 11:11 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't understand how you can make the argument they're greedy... and that it would cost too much to re-brand.

They moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Maryland where they became the Ravens. Guess what? People bought Ravens merchandise. This shit has been done before, the owner need to pull his head out of his ass.

Yes, "tradition" is basically the argument that the Redskins' owner uses, although I characterize it more as nostalgia in his case (he references his fond memories of the Redskins growing up). I just don't see how anyone can honestly put forward such an incredibly lame and disingenuous argument. This argument has also been used by state lawyers to try and overturn same-sex marriage statutes, and judges have quickly shot it down as an invalid. Of course there are many examples of cultural practices that were once traditions that no one would tolerate today. How could you ever argue that "tradition" equals "moral good". That's simply an untenable position to take.
29-10-2014, 07:18 AM
(28-10-2014 05:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They should be the Eagles - national bird and all - so Philly can be the Cheese Steaks. Tongue

Make them the Turkeys.

The Turkey is "a Bird of Courage", after all.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.