Washington Redskins name controversy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 08:31 AM
RE: Washington Redskins name controversy
(29-10-2014 06:52 AM)davidh Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 11:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  They moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Maryland where they became the Ravens. Guess what? People bought Ravens merchandise. This shit has been done before, the owner need to pull his head out of his ass.

Yes, "tradition" is basically the argument that the Redskins' owner uses, although I characterize it more as nostalgia in his case (he references his fond memories of the Redskins growing up). I just don't see how anyone can honestly put forward such an incredibly lame and disingenuous argument. This argument has also been used by state lawyers to try and overturn same-sex marriage statutes, and judges have quickly shot it down as an invalid. Of course there are many examples of cultural practices that were once traditions that no one would tolerate today. How could you ever argue that "tradition" equals "moral good". That's simply an untenable position to take.

Huge difference here. A private entity owning a trademark can use a defense that is untenable when it comes to civil rights. Who is actually being hurt by the Redskins name? Considering they have had that name for over 75 years now you would be hard pressed to make any kind of case against them. It is very simple as long as they sell merchandise (and they do, tons of it) and remain profitable there is no pressure for Snyder to change the name. According to Forbes the Redskins are the 2nd most valuable team in the NFL.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 08:33 AM
(28-10-2014 04:33 PM)davidh Wrote:  I know a lot of people are in favor of not changing the name of the Washington Redskins. What's the argument to not change the name, which is essentially a racial slur? The only one I can think of is the cost to re-brand everything? Others?

Every argument I've ever heard takes one of two forms:
  • Appeal to tradition
  • I don't mean it in a racist way, so they should stop taking it in a racist way.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Maybe they should be called the Washington White Men. Consider Or just cut to the chase: Washington Aryans. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
29-10-2014, 09:52 AM
(29-10-2014 08:55 AM)kim Wrote:  Maybe they should be called the Washington White Men. Consider Or just cut to the chase: Washington Aryans. Smile

Washington Rednecks. Better yet, send the Deadskins and Dan Snyder back to Boston so they can be the Boston Braves. That oughtta boost the Baltimore Colts, errr I mean Crows, franchise.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Re: RE: Washington Redskins name controversy
(29-10-2014 09:52 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 08:55 AM)kim Wrote:  Maybe they should be called the Washington White Men. Consider Or just cut to the chase: Washington Aryans. Smile

Washington Rednecks. Better yet, send the Deadskins and Dan Snyder back to Boston so they can be the Boston Braves. That oughtta boost the Baltimore Colts, errr I mean Crows, franchise.

I thought they were the Baltimore Poes?

I say make them the Washington Bullets. It Sends a far better message

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
29-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Baltimore Poes - YES! It's about time that hole celebrated it's one best son.
[Image: Poe_daguerreotype_zps81d093eb.jpg]
There's an enthusiastic expression. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-10-2014, 11:22 AM
(29-10-2014 10:39 AM)kim Wrote:  Baltimore Poes - YES! It's about time that hole celebrated it's one best son.

Why do you think they are called the Ravens? The mascots are 3 Cartoon Ravens named Edgar, Allan, and Poe.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-10-2014, 11:48 AM
(29-10-2014 11:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 10:39 AM)kim Wrote:  Baltimore Poes - YES! It's about time that hole celebrated it's one best son.

Why do you think they are called the Ravens? The mascots are 3 Cartoon Ravens named Edgar, Allan, and Poe.

Wow - I had no idea - that is actually very cool!

Consider I just might start paying attention to these guys.

29-10-2014, 02:25 PM
(28-10-2014 05:05 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  They should be the Eagles - national bird and all - so Philly can be the Cheese Steaks. Tongue

Lol. The Cheese Steaks? Then I'd love to see the team mascot.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Maybe they could change it to one of the Native Indian tribal names, like the Mohawks. The Washington Mohawks. Yeah, that sounds ok. I can visualize all the Mohawk wigs and great facial makeup idiot fans could paint on their faces. And then they could "borrow" the Indian War Chant the Seminoles use at Florida State. It's a pretty cool piece of music and it's been ok'd by the Seminole tribe.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.