Washington Redskins name controversy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 03:45 PM
RE: Washington Redskins name controversy
(29-10-2014 10:02 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I say make them the Washington Bullets. It Sends a far better message

Ah ... the good old days. Wes Unseld, Earl Monroe and Elvin Hayes.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 03:48 PM
(29-10-2014 02:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Maybe they could change it to one of the Native Indian tribal names, like the Mohawks. The Washington Mohawks.

I got a little Kickapoo in me. I like it: Washington Kickapoos. Just imagine the mascot potentials. Big Grin

#sigh
29-10-2014, 04:04 PM
(29-10-2014 03:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 02:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Maybe they could change it to one of the Native Indian tribal names, like the Mohawks. The Washington Mohawks.

I got a little Kickapoo in me. I like it: Washington Kickapoos. Just imagine the mascot potentials. Big Grin

Here's a high school with that name. Yeah, this has real potential.

[Image: Kickapoo_High_SchoolLogo634030431408366128.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
29-10-2014, 04:09 PM
(29-10-2014 04:04 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 03:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I got a little Kickapoo in me. I like it: Washington Kickapoos. Just imagine the mascot potentials. Big Grin

Here's a high school with that name. Yeah, this has real potential.

[Image: Kickapoo_High_SchoolLogo634030431408366128.jpg]

Kickapoo?
Only if it's frozen.
Ba dump psh..
29-10-2014, 06:04 PM
(29-10-2014 02:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Maybe they could change it to one of the Native Indian tribal names, like the Mohawks. The Washington Mohawks. Yeah, that sounds ok. I can visualize all the Mohawk wigs and great facial makeup idiot fans could paint on their faces. And then they could "borrow" the Indian War Chant the Seminoles use at Florida State. It's a pretty cool piece of music and it's been ok'd by the Seminole tribe.

Mohawk territory was never even close to the Potomac watershed. Surely there are tribes and groups from that actual vicinity they could try talking to?
(although, most of the east coast peoples were long since genocided, so maybe not)

... this is my signature!
29-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Is Braves a racial slur? Noone who refers to the Redskins does it with a negative connotation. Stop letting small groups of people convince you to be offended by stupid shit.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
29-10-2014, 06:19 PM
(29-10-2014 08:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 04:33 PM)davidh Wrote:  I know a lot of people are in favor of not changing the name of the Washington Redskins. What's the argument to not change the name, which is essentially a racial slur? The only one I can think of is the cost to re-brand everything? Others?

Every argument I've ever heard takes one of two forms:
  • Appeal to tradition
  • I don't mean it in a racist way, so they should stop taking it in a racist way.

Those are perfectly good reasons.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
29-10-2014, 06:26 PM
(29-10-2014 06:17 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Is Braves a racial slur? Noone who refers to the Redskins does it with a negative connotation. Stop letting small groups of people convince you to be offended by stupid shit.

There are literally only small groups of those peoples left. Is dissing people okay if they're in sufficiently small numbers?

The people whose opinions are relevant are those to whom the term refers. Not an unconnected majority who doesn't give a shit.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
29-10-2014, 06:33 PM
(29-10-2014 06:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:17 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Is Braves a racial slur? Noone who refers to the Redskins does it with a negative connotation. Stop letting small groups of people convince you to be offended by stupid shit.

There are literally only small groups of those peoples left. Is dissing people okay if they're in sufficiently small numbers?

The people whose opinions are relevant are those to whom the term refers. Not an unconnected majority who doesn't give a shit.

I would disagree. This is a private entity (albeit a very high profile one) not affiliated with any government entity. As such their name is totally their business and no one elses. If you have a problem with the name do not support them through tv ratings merchandise sale etc. I still have never seen how the name harms anyone and so how a small group of unaffected people being offended supersedes the rights of not only the owners of the private entity but everyone who supports them (a rather large majority in the area surrounding DC).

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-10-2014, 07:01 PM
(29-10-2014 06:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I would disagree. This is a private entity (albeit a very high profile one) not affiliated with any government entity. As such their name is totally their business and no one elses.

I'm pretty sure Snyder is sucking on both of our tits in terms of tax breaks and subsidies we're fucking paying for. And he sucks. Deadskins been going downhill ever since he bought them. Sell it back to some Jack Kent Cooke heir 'cause you bad juju.

#sigh