Washington Redskins name controversy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 07:05 PM
RE: Washington Redskins name controversy
(29-10-2014 06:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  There are literally only small groups of those peoples left. Is dissing people okay if they're in sufficiently small numbers?

The people whose opinions are relevant are those to whom the term refers. Not an unconnected majority who doesn't give a shit.

I would disagree. This is a private entity (albeit a very high profile one) not affiliated with any government entity. As such their name is totally their business and no one elses. If you have a problem with the name do not support them through tv ratings merchandise sale etc. I still have never seen how the name harms anyone and so how a small group of unaffected people being offended supersedes the rights of not only the owners of the private entity but everyone who supports them (a rather large majority in the area surrounding DC).

Being offensive doesn't directly harm anyone. Doesn't make it a good idea...

I think you seriously overestimate the degree to which the vast majority of fans give a shit. Team names change; support is for continuity and geography, not the trappings.

But, I don't see how the size of the constituency makes a difference. The popular opinion of people at several steps' remove is irrelevant - or else we're endorsing de facto carte blanche against any small group.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 07:08 PM
(29-10-2014 07:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I would disagree. This is a private entity (albeit a very high profile one) not affiliated with any government entity. As such their name is totally their business and no one elses.

I'm pretty sure Snyder is sucking on both of our tits in terms of tax breaks and subsidies we're fucking paying for. And he sucks. Deadskins been going downhill ever since he bought them. Sell it back to some Jack Kent Cooke heir 'cause you bad juju.

No more so than most sports franchises, as far as the tax breaks and public subsidies go. As to the bad Juju well he thinks he is playing fantasy football and he is also under the mistaken idea that he knows wtf he is doing. Look at Baltimore Steve Bisciotti knows what he don't know and lets the wizard of Oz and his head coach make all the football decisions.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-10-2014, 07:23 PM
(29-10-2014 07:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No more so than most sports franchises, as far as the tax breaks and public subsidies go.

Frigid Fudge Packers. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
29-10-2014, 07:26 PM
(29-10-2014 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 07:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No more so than most sports franchises, as far as the tax breaks and public subsidies go.

Frigid Fudge Packers. Drinking Beverage

Pretty sure Lambeau fields recent renovation was paid for with local taxes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-10-2014, 07:39 PM
(29-10-2014 07:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 07:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Frigid Fudge Packers. Drinking Beverage

Pretty sure Lambeau fields recent renovation was paid for with local taxes.

Yeah. But they own the team.

#sigh
29-10-2014, 07:52 PM
(29-10-2014 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 07:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Pretty sure Lambeau fields recent renovation was paid for with local taxes.

Yeah. But they own the team.

A unique situation, only team in any league to be set up that way. Doesn't negate my point that the Redskins do not take any more subsidies than most other teams (Jerry's World for instance cost the Texas taxpayers quite the bundle)

29-10-2014, 07:58 PM
(29-10-2014 07:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I would disagree. This is a private entity (albeit a very high profile one) not affiliated with any government entity. As such their name is totally their business and no one elses. If you have a problem with the name do not support them through tv ratings merchandise sale etc. I still have never seen how the name harms anyone and so how a small group of unaffected people being offended supersedes the rights of not only the owners of the private entity but everyone who supports them (a rather large majority in the area surrounding DC).

Being offensive doesn't directly harm anyone. Doesn't make it a good idea...

I think you seriously overestimate the degree to which the vast majority of fans give a shit. Team names change; support is for continuity and geography, not the trappings.

But, I don't see how the size of the constituency makes a difference. The popular opinion of people at several steps' remove is irrelevant - or else we're endorsing de facto carte blanche against any small group.

There are real costs to changing a brand and since as far as I can tell there is no damage being done by continuing it then unless the team wishes to change there is no adequate reason to force them. If public opinion against their keeping the name reached a point where it negatively affected the bottom line then they would probably bow to that pressure but shy of that there is not much anyone other than Dan Snyder can do about it.

29-10-2014, 08:27 PM
YouTube's on it now. Everybody relax.

I can't make out all the blepped. What'd the old white man in a suit say? "I am a cock" is what I got.

#sigh
31-10-2014, 02:24 PM
(29-10-2014 08:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  YouTube's on it now. Everybody relax.

I can't make out all the blepped. What'd the old white man in a suit say? "I am a cock" is what I got.

Noone uses redskin negatively. Noone even says it unless they are referring to the team. Nigger, gook, and kike are all used as to incite anger on purpose by degrading one based on their race/creed/color.

Stupid video is stupid.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
31-10-2014, 02:58 PM
(31-10-2014 02:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 08:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  YouTube's on it now. Everybody relax.

Noone uses redskin negatively. Noone even says it unless they are referring to the team. Nigger, gook, and kike are all used as to incite anger on purpose by degrading one based on their race/creed/color.

Stupid video is stupid.

It's an inherently offensive word, and most Native Americans are offended by it, whether or not you intended to offend them. If I say the word "nigger" in the presence of a Black person, I'm likely to get my ass kicked, regardless of how I meant it.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post