Washington Redskins name controversy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2014, 03:24 PM
RE: Washington Redskins name controversy
(31-10-2014 02:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 02:24 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Noone uses redskin negatively. Noone even says it unless they are referring to the team. Nigger, gook, and kike are all used as to incite anger on purpose by degrading one based on their race/creed/color.

Stupid video is stupid.

It's an inherently offensive word, and most Native Americans are offended by it, whether or not you intended to offend them. If I say the word "nigger" in the presence of a Black person, I'm likely to get my ass kicked, regardless of how I meant it.

Actually if polling is to be accepted Most Native Americans don't give a rats ass, in fact a plurality are in favor of the name. It breaks down with most not caring either way more in favor but a vocal minority wanting it changed. So again I ask why should that vocal minority be given special treatment?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2014, 04:11 PM
This is far more insensitive than the team name the Atlanta Braves or the Washington Redskins.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-10-2014, 04:18 PM
(31-10-2014 03:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 02:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It's an inherently offensive word, and most Native Americans are offended by it, whether or not you intended to offend them. If I say the word "nigger" in the presence of a Black person, I'm likely to get my ass kicked, regardless of how I meant it.

Actually if polling is to be accepted Most Native Americans don't give a rats ass, in fact a plurality are in favor of the name. It breaks down with most not caring either way more in favor but a vocal minority wanting it changed. So again I ask why should that vocal minority be given special treatment?

The name would sure as fuck never pass muster in Canada.

I am not convinced that a plurality of native americans favour the name - I can believe that most are broadly in favour of names generally inspired by first nations themes, but the Redskins specifically, not so much.

I think the biggest issue in saying "it's a vocal but tiny minority" is that, ignoring for the moment that it is only a tiny minority to whom the term directly refers anyway, what then is the standard for a sufficiently large majority, in what jurisdiction, to take action?
(I am hardly expecting you to provide a comprehensive answer here, but it's a thing to keep in mind)

... this is my signature!
31-10-2014, 04:19 PM
(31-10-2014 04:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 03:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Actually if polling is to be accepted Most Native Americans don't give a rats ass, in fact a plurality are in favor of the name. It breaks down with most not caring either way more in favor but a vocal minority wanting it changed. So again I ask why should that vocal minority be given special treatment?

The name would sure as fuck never pass muster in Canada.

I am not convinced that a plurality of native americans favour the name - I can believe that most are broadly in favour of names generally inspired by first nations themes, but the Redskins specifically, not so much.

I think the biggest issue in saying "it's a vocal but tiny minority" is that, ignoring for the moment that it is only a tiny minority to whom the term directly refers anyway, what then is the standard for a sufficiently large majority, in what jurisdiction, to take action?
(I am hardly expecting you to provide a comprehensive answer here, but it's a thing to keep in mind)

No the polling was on the redskin name in particular. IIRC it was like 55% answered Do not care with 30% in favor and only 15% opposed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-10-2014, 04:27 PM
(31-10-2014 04:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No the polling was on the redskin name in particular. IIRC it was like 55% answered Do not care with 30% in favor and only 15% opposed.

Was it, now...

I think the best thing to do now would be to get some reliable data. And then we could actually form informed opinions and take informed action...
(but in any case, here in Canada such a franchise identity would be Not Okay as these things go)

... this is my signature!
31-10-2014, 04:33 PM
(31-10-2014 04:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 04:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No the polling was on the redskin name in particular. IIRC it was like 55% answered Do not care with 30% in favor and only 15% opposed.

Was it, now...

I think the best thing to do now would be to get some reliable data. And then we could actually form informed opinions and take informed action...
(but in any case, here in Canada such a franchise identity would be Not Okay as these things go)

So here is why I admit to playing devil's advocate more than anything else. I don't give a fuck about the redskins name or if they keep it or change it. I do however dislike campaigns based on the idea that unaffected peoples feelings being hurt should matter more than anything else. As of yet I have not been shown anything that is not based on that idea.

31-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm a Native American and I would be satisfied if they would name one fucking football team the "Wasichus." In fact, the "Washington Wasichus" has a nice ring to it. Wasichu is the Lakota word for a white person and literally translated it means, "greedy person" or "one who steals the fat." Several Native Ams claim today that it is no longer a racially derogatory term. That is bullshit and I've never heard it used in any but a derogatory way.
31-10-2014, 04:38 PM
[Image: q6yjavm8tepq9r31mqvb.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Being that I wouldn't want the team to compleatly change their name I'd suggest a small change. They should be called the Washington Foreskins.
I suppose the Washington Native Americans doesn't have the same ring to it. Nor does the Washington First Nations. Do you guys use that term down south?
Now up here in the Great White North we have the Edmonton Eskimos. Some of you may be aware that the term Eskimo is not politically correct. So I suggest the Edmonton Inuit. That rings pretty good.
01-11-2014, 03:19 PM
There's something else. I notice that a lot of Americans still call Natives Indians. That's not politically correct up here. A Native friend of mine tells me that an Indian is a Native that is trouble. Kinda like Chris rocks nigger I guess. Anyway my point is is the Cleveland Indians acceptable?