Watch out, Norway! Sweden wants your trash!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 05:59 AM by Free Thought.)
Watch out, Norway! Sweden wants your trash!
It just came to my attention that Sweden does not have enough trash to go around, as such, they are doing what anybody would do in their situation: Ask the neighbours for their stuff. Though it must be a rare day when neighbours ask each other for trash.

What does Sweden intend to do with its new booty? Burn it! Apparently, a significant portion of Sweden's energy comes from the conversion of waste to heat via incinerators.

http://phys.org/news/2012-10-sweden-norw...-lots.html
Quote: Sweden is hungry for trash and has turned to Norway for an offer it would find hard to refuse, no pun intended. Sweden is asking its neighbor for trash. Sweden's success is Sweden's problem. Sweden is a model recycler. Thanks to a highly efficient waste management system in Sweden, the vast majority of this household waste can be recovered or reused. As a result, Sweden has run short of garbage. Since it does not produce enough burnable waste for its energy needs, Sweden is suffering a downside to being such an enviable model of recycling. The average in Europe of trash that ends up as waste is 38 percent. Sweden's is 1 percent.
http://www.pri.org/stories/science/envir...10428.html
Quote: Sweden's successful waste-to-energy program converts household waste into energy for heating and electricity. But they've run into an unusual problem: they simply aren't generating enough trash to power the incinerators, so they've begun importing waste from European neighbors.

As an added titbit, I figure I may as well show you what brought this whole trash-bash to my attention: A quaint little webcomic called Scandinavia and the World, wherein the characters are representations of nations based of stereotype, who wear their nations flag for identification. (And yes, New Zealand, is a sheep)
[Image: 450x2644xtrash-robber.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Y-Ya-_KB8_.jpg]

so, what're your thoughts about Sweden's trashy new job as hopeful garbage-man of Europe? will it work out, will it not?

And yeah, I know it's a fairly old story, but I figure it was worth sharing!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
28-02-2013, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 12:40 PM by Vera.)
RE: Watch out, Norway! Sweden wants your trash!
All I know is, they have the most efficient waste disposal system I've ever seen. If you think that sorting means dividing your trash into glass, plastic and paper, think again. They have separate containers for paper, for cardboard, for coloured glass, for colourless glass, for hard plastic, for soft plastic (like bags, for example), completely different machines for cans, batteries and light bulbs. And they do realise you have to actually wash the stuff you're throwing away to be recycled and not just dump it in with all the organic residue and what not.

And everyone does it. Nobody sees it as a chore or an imposition. Hell, in my dorm's corridor (that's how it was called - there were 8 of us living on the same floor/in the same corridor) we collected it and each week we took turns taking it out (the person whose turn it was, was also responsible for that week's fika, which is a gathering of friends for coffee and sweets Smile )

Beautiful country that loves its nature and does all they can to protect it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-02-2013, 06:23 AM
(28-02-2013 06:16 AM)Vera Wrote:  All I know is, they have the most efficient waste disposal system I've ever seen. If you think that sorting means dividing your trash into glass, plastic and paper, think again. They have separate containers for paper, for cardboard, for coloured glass, for colourless glass, for hard plastic, for soft plastic (like bags, for example), completely different machines for cans, batteries and light bulbs. And they do realise you have to actually wash the stuff you're throwing away to be recycled and not just dump it in with all the organic residue and what not.

And everyone does it. Nobody sees it as a chore or an imposition. Hell, in my dorm's corridor (that's how it was called - there were 8 of us living on the same floor/in the same corridor) we collected it and each week we took turns taking it out (the person whose turn it was, was also responsible for that week's fika, which is a gathering of friends for coffee and sweets Smile )

Beauitufl country that loves its nature and does all they can to protect it.

Sounds like a nice place to live.

Not for me though, I'm way too lazy to do all that work! Big Grin

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
28-02-2013, 06:47 AM
(28-02-2013 06:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sounds like a nice place to live.

Not for me though, I'm way too lazy to do all that work! Big Grin
It is a nice place to live. And it really isn't an effort. The containers are really conveniently located and it just becomes a habit after a while (it was even relaxing, esp. for someone with OCD, like myself Angel ). To this day I get mighty annoyed when I see people throw away food containers with chunks of food in them, to be recycled Angry

They even had a small space right next to my dorm, for people to leave bigger stuff, like old furniture, electric appliances and stuff...

(That's the view from my dorm room Smile )
[Image: 23382_415924968501112_1824194790_n.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
28-02-2013, 10:35 AM
There is a lot of money to be made from rubbish.

We have brown bins that you put compostable waste into. Where we take it the guy charges the council around £30 per tonne to take the waste. So in summer that equates to around 20-30 tonnes per lorry and there are 8 lorrys, 4 days a week.

The guy then turns it all into compost and sells that.... so he gets paid twice basically.

I wonder how much Norway are charging Sweden per tonne of rubbish? Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-02-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm sure the USA wouldn't mind sharing some of their trash. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
28-02-2013, 02:00 PM
(28-02-2013 10:35 AM)bemore Wrote:  There is a lot of money to be made from rubbish.

We have brown bins that you put compostable waste into. Where we take it the guy charges the council around £30 per tonne to take the waste. So in summer that equates to around 20-30 tonnes per lorry and there are 8 lorrys, 4 days a week.

The guy then turns it all into compost and sells that.... so he gets paid twice basically.

I wonder how much Norway are charging Sweden per tonne of rubbish? Consider

Actually, I think Norway is paying Sweden. It is taking the trash away after all, essentially doing them a service. Big Grin

28-02-2013, 05:19 PM
(28-02-2013 01:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm sure the USA wouldn't mind sharing some of their trash. Consider

Yeah, who'll take our fundamentalists? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-02-2013, 05:53 PM
(28-02-2013 05:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, who'll take our fundamentalists? Consider
No one. You breed them, you can very well keep'em. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
01-03-2013, 12:45 AM
(28-02-2013 05:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-02-2013 01:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I'm sure the USA wouldn't mind sharing some of their trash. Consider

Yeah, who'll take our fundamentalists? Consider

Maybe you can pay someone to take them away?