Watch what you eat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Watch what you eat?
For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health.
It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than most Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you... Big Grin

Now that's a pretty funny joke from years ago, but here's a question:

Do Americans really suffer more heart attacks per capita than people in other countries?
If so, why?

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Quidsane's post
14-04-2012, 02:40 PM
RE: Watch what you eat?
The answer is part of a larger more complex question. I can't remember my dad's password for JAMA right now. If I can get into those articles, it would help. Meanwhile .. here's a start.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/...ief_v2.pdf

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-04-2012, 03:05 PM
(14-04-2012 02:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The answer is part of a larger more complex question. I can't remember my dad's password for JAMA right now. If I can get into those articles, it would help. Meanwhile .. here's a start.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/...ief_v2.pdf
Do you think it may be all the chemicals in our meat,dry goods,canned food,and about anything we put into our mouth. Hell the plants on my farm are round up ready. that means you can spray round up on it and it wont die. The bad thing about genetic seed is it wont reproduce next years yield. If you keep the say corn seed for next year it wont grow. It has got to the point you cant buy normal seed. This is a shame. All to save on tilling. No plowing and tilling is going to destroy the old way of farming. The Amish are the only ones who still farm the old fashion way. You can buy seed from them. even them have been using no till seed.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
14-04-2012, 04:07 PM
(14-04-2012 03:05 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Do you think it may be all the chemicals in our meat,dry goods,canned food,and about anything we put into our mouth. Hell the plants on my farm are round up ready. that means you can spray round up on it and it wont die. The bad thing about genetic seed is it wont reproduce next years yield. If you keep the say corn seed for next year it wont grow. It has got to the point you cant buy normal seed. This is a shame. All to save on tilling. No plowing and tilling is going to destroy the old way of farming. The Amish are the only ones who still farm the old fashion way. You can buy seed from them. even them have been using no till seed.

It really is a very complicated problem, because you have to sort out the co-morbidities. There are clues, and I also have wondered about some of the genetic engineering, but the engineering has also fed countless millions of people who would never have had food, otherwise. But the fact IS, Americans die earlier than other advanced countries. Am gonna have to look into this one. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14070090

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-04-2012, 04:30 PM
You betcha it's the chemicals. And combination of chemicals. We are in the middle of a severe phase of evolution because we can't feed ourselves anymore without synthetics. People will die of them, not just heart attacks and cancer but also breathing disorders and a ton of things we don't know yet. Probably autism and related disorders that are suddenly exploding in numbers, and asthma and allergies and and and.... The ones who live will procreate and humanity is getting ready for synthetic foods.

I have a veggie garden, mainly because I hate the cardboard taste of store bought veggies. They are devoid of natural sugars because of early picking and having been bred for everything but flavor and nutrition. So the vitamins and minerals that are still present are the flavor - and they just don't taste good. Real veggies grown to ripeness have much more complex flavors and they are all sweet. All of them.

So I started to grow my own, just to find that even the hybrid starter plants you can buy don't taste quite right. Oh sure, they are a VAST improvement over supermarket veggies, but not what I remember from my childhood.

So I started to grow heirloom seeds only. And, damn they taste good. You have to overplant and plant different varieties since they have not been tampered with to make them disease resistant and you may lose some varieties. But I am a foodie, I love good food, and it's about the only way I can stand eating veggies anymore.

The really fancy restaurants also know this and buy only properly ripened heirloom veggies anymore. They increasingly buy from small farms who specialize in raising small amounts of many different heirlooms.

If you want to try some really good veggies that you will actually like eating, find some heirlooms at your local farmer's market. Don't refrigerate, it kills the sugars. Just buy what you will eat within a day. The fewer hours between picking and eating, the better the flavor.

Anyway, I got side tracked here. I am convinced that we are all getting sick and/or nutrient deficient because of all the chemicals we eat. But, I don't think it will end up killing humanity. Just a new way of natural selection.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Ridiculous that a naturally growing plant - the non-genetically engineered, original plant - is labelled "heirloom" ? WTF?
14-04-2012, 05:52 PM
(14-04-2012 04:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ridiculous that a naturally growing plant - the non-genetically engineered, original plant - is labelled "heirloom" ? WTF?

That's because until just a few years ago the hybrids had taken over to the point of there not being any natural plants anymore.

People have been establishing "seed banks" of "heirloom" varieties and slowly they are being propagated again and are coming back, at least for back yard growers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_plant

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
14-04-2012, 06:17 PM
it's the compilation of all the foods we eat, our lifestyles, our stress levels and sleep habits that contribute to heart issues. there's not much need for a study or discussion to demonstrate that we are overall shittier people inside than others, it's right in front of us everyday. but hey at least our blondes are hot.

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
14-04-2012, 07:11 PM
It's Soylent Green! It always comes down to Soylent Green! IT's PEOPLE!!!!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
14-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I would say it is the chemicals and other junk in the foods. Every so often I'll buy something, not eat all of it or just leave the "junk" left over in a location for weeks to see what happens to it (I do this intentionally at times to judge what I should and shouldn't eat).

Food I prepare (from dry ingredients/and fresh foods): molds within 2 days to one week
Food I buy pre-packaged: look the same after MONTHS of sitting out, and even smells the feels the same after a week or two. I once had frosting and donut crumbs sitting out for over three months (OK, it actually fell behind something, I found it when cleaning behind appliances) that looked identical to when I originally bought it.

I used to buy certain bread in the store, it molded within a few days--but it tasted fresh and was moist. Now the bread is "kind of" soft, and lasts for weeks before molding.