Watch what you eat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 09:24 PM
RE: Watch what you eat?
(14-04-2012 04:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  Probably autism and related disorders that are suddenly exploding in numbers...

Autism cases exploded in numbers because the definition of autism was
broadened to include symptoms/disorders that were not previously referred to as autism.

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Quidsane's post
14-04-2012, 09:34 PM
You know. They say "you are what you eat".

That's funny. I don't remember eating a SEXY BEAST this morning.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post
14-04-2012, 09:42 PM
(14-04-2012 09:34 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  You know. They say "you are what you eat".

That's funny. I don't remember eating a SEXY BEAST this morning.
That explains what happened after I ate that hippo.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
15-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Although the chem stuff sure isn't fun to think about, how about other factors?

I can think of:
-Lifestyle differences
-Genetic differences
-Location differences. Meaning climate basically.
-Reporting: heart conditions more likely to be diagnosed in the US?
-Death from other causes: e.g. in Zimbabwe the life expectancy at birth is 50 years. That's because AIDS and multiple other ways to die nail people way before they develop heart conditions - so yeah, Zim has better stats for heart problems than the USA Tongue
15-04-2012, 03:38 AM
It doesn't only come down to how much fat you consume though. There's good fats and bad fats, and eating too much protein and carbohydrates is equally as bad as eating too much fat. If it turns out that Americans are consuming a lot more calories than people in these other countries, then those could only be partial statictics and be showing only half the picture.
Also, exercise. I read a CNN study that claims that 7 out of 10 Americans don't exercise regularly. If this is true then this could account for much of the obesity and heart conditions.

Finally, I do think it's quite amusing that English speaking countries US, UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand all rank in the top 10 for obesity worldwide, and Ireland is catching up. I wonder what the story is there. Any theories?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
15-04-2012, 11:59 AM
(14-04-2012 09:24 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 04:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  Probably autism and related disorders that are suddenly exploding in numbers...

broadened to include symptoms/disorders that were not previously referred to as autism.
This is almost certainly part of it. However, I think that there may be an actual increase in incidence due to environmental factors that alter development. I have no hard evidence - this is an hypothesis.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 01:48 PM
(15-04-2012 03:38 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Also, exercise. I read a CNN study that claims that 7 out of 10 Americans don't exercise regularly. If this is true then this could account for much of the obesity and heart conditions.
^^^This.

Probably more than any other dietary factor.

Oh, and Soylent Green.

[Image: Soylent_Green_Demotivator_by_RavengerX.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-04-2012, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 09:26 PM by Antirepublican.)
(14-04-2012 09:24 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  

The same thing happened with obesity. A lot of people you would look at and consider normal are medically considered obese.

(15-04-2012 03:38 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  It doesn't only come down to how much fat you consume though. There's good fats and bad fats, and eating too much protein and carbohydrates is equally as bad as eating too much fat. If it turns out that Americans are consuming a lot more calories than people in these other countries, then those could only be partial statictics and be showing only half the picture.
Also, exercise. I read a CNN study that claims that 7 out of 10 Americans don't exercise regularly. If this is true then this could account for much of the obesity and heart conditions.

Finally, I do think it's quite amusing that English speaking countries US, UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand all rank in the top 10 for obesity worldwide, and Ireland is catching up. I wonder what the story is there. Any theories?
Meh, regular exercise only adds a couple years to your life.

I would rather have fun and eat good food.
15-04-2012, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2012 11:26 PM by Quidsane.)
(15-04-2012 09:25 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Meh, regular exercise only adds a couple years to your life.

But that's not the only reason to exercise.
Exercise significantly reduces depression, adds confidence, stamina, energy, etc.
You feel MUCH better for all the years you do have left. Thumbsup

Also, I'm an Atheist.
EVERY year of my life is precious, because it's the only life I will ever have.
If exercise "only" adds a couple of years, that's damn worthwhile to me.

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Quidsane's post
15-04-2012, 11:36 PM
(15-04-2012 11:23 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(15-04-2012 09:25 PM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Meh, regular exercise only adds a couple years to your life.

But that's not the only reason to exercise.
Exercise significantly reduces depression, adds confidence, stamina, energy, etc.
You feel MUCH better for all the years you do have left. Thumbsup

Also, I'm an Atheist.
EVERY year of my life is precious, because it's the only life I will ever have.
If exercise "only" adds a couple of years, that's damn worthwhile to me.
I wouldn't say that exercise reduces depression. I would venture to guess they arent related at all.

Its the anit-fat rhetoric that Americans live with every day that causes the depression for people who are overweight. Fat people and smokers really are the last groups of people who can be openly discriminated against without any fear of repercussion. Confidence pretty much falls in that same category.

Stamina and energy, cant argue with those.

PS: I hate smoking.