Watched Citizen Kane last night.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Watched Citizen Kane last night.
Meh. Decent movie but without having seen a lot of other 1941 movies it's hard for me to understand how it won an Oscar for best picture.

Then I got stoned and watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. I get sort of an atheism vs theism vibe from this movie. Does anyone else feel like Halloween Land is a metaphor for atheism and Christmas land for theism? Maybe I was just really, really high.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
RE: Watched Citizen Kane last night.
I've seen Citizen Kane a couple of times now. I agree.

However while I love A Nightmare Before Christmas, and I am also the king of reading more into things than there are... Its just a fun movie.

Now you want a movie to get high to that has very strong anti religion sentiments that are barely covered up.... Pleasantville. Plus it's actually not a bad flick.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 01:49 PM
This movie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasantville_(film)

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 02:13 PM
That's the one.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
07-02-2012, 04:41 PM
(07-02-2012 01:33 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Meh. Decent movie but without having seen a lot of other 1941 movies it's hard for me to understand how it won an Oscar for best picture.

Then I got stoned and watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. I get sort of an atheism vs theism vibe from this movie. Does anyone else feel like Halloween Land is a metaphor for atheism and Christmas land for theism? Maybe I was just really, really high.

Consider that you are (sub-consciously) evaluating it with 71 years of subsequent movie-making in your head. Just sayin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-02-2012, 04:53 PM
(07-02-2012 04:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 01:33 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Meh. Decent movie but without having seen a lot of other 1941 movies it's hard for me to understand how it won an Oscar for best picture.

Consider that you are (sub-consciously) evaluating it with 71 years of subsequent movie-making in your head. Just sayin'.

I tried to take that into consideration.

-Mark Twain
07-02-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2012 05:50 PM by Chas.)

It did not win the Best Picture Oscar - that was won by How Green Was My Valley which won several Oscars.

Really good movies (ok, movies I really like) from 1941:
  • How Green Was My Valley
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Sergeant York
  • Suspicion

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
07-02-2012, 05:58 PM
(07-02-2012 05:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  

It did not win the Best Picture Oscar - that was won by How Green Was My Valley which won several Oscars.

Really good movies (ok, movies I really like) from 1941:
  • How Green Was My Valley
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Sergeant York
  • Suspicion

You have a pretty good memory, Chas. Did you see them all in the theater? Did you take a date to any of them?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Maltese Falcon (book and movie) as well as Suspicion.

07-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I do have to thank Citizen Kane for helping me get laid once. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My