Watched Citizen Kane last night.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
RE: Watched Citizen Kane last night.
(07-02-2012 05:58 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 05:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 01:33 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Meh. Decent movie but without having seen a lot of other 1941 movies it's hard for me to understand how it won an Oscar for best picture.

Then I got stoned and watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. I get sort of an atheism vs theism vibe from this movie. Does anyone else feel like Halloween Land is a metaphor for atheism and Christmas land for theism? Maybe I was just really, really high.

It did not win the Best Picture Oscar - that was won by How Green Was My Valley which won several Oscars.

Really good movies (ok, movies I really like) from 1941:
  • How Green Was My Valley
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Sergeant York
  • Suspicion

You have a pretty good memory, Chas. Did you see them all in the theater? Did you take a date to any of them?

No date, but I did get the senior discount. Cool

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
(07-02-2012 08:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I do have to thank Citizen Kane for helping me get laid once. Big Grin

Well we can't let that comment go by without a request for more info.

Specifically regarding Citizen Kane - I watched it a long time ago, probably over a decade. Wasn't bad, but I felt much the same way - just sort of "meh." But I guess there were lots of things in it that just hadn't been done before regarding camera angles, and framing, and storytelling, and maybe foreshadowing. It's just really hard to pick them out now that all of it has become old hat and improved upon, and used over and over again.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
08-02-2012, 12:21 AM
(07-02-2012 11:56 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 08:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I do have to thank Citizen Kane for helping me get laid once. Big Grin

Less info! Less info! Don't need to know Tongue
08-02-2012, 01:33 AM
(08-02-2012 12:21 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 11:56 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  

Less info! Less info! Don't need to know Tongue

A gentleman never kisses and tells.

So anyway, there I was and there she was and I had already seen it and she thought it was boring so....

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
08-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I love the 1941 Maltese Falcon... "You'll take it and like it!" favorite line of mine in that film.

A lot of people watching Citizen Kane get that vibe saying that's it? When I saw it I understood how people could have the reaction disliking and liking it on both sides.

It's really more amusing when you know the details of how invasive it was when you know what Rosebud really means in reality to William Randolph Hearst whom Kane is based off.
08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
(07-02-2012 01:33 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Meh. Decent movie but without having seen a lot of other 1941 movies it's hard for me to understand how it won an Oscar for best picture.

Then I got stoned and watched The Nightmare Before Christmas. I get sort of an atheism vs theism vibe from this movie. Does anyone else feel like Halloween Land is a metaphor for atheism and Christmas land for theism? Maybe I was just really, really high.

Around the same era you might enjoy The third Man, in which Orson Welles has a relatively minor role. Good sountrack and moves along O.K

Currently you might like Marlene, Marcy, May etc.....interesting/disturbing.
08-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Ahhhh... The third Man. Heart

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
08-02-2012, 05:43 PM

Sounds as if we can blame Citizen Kane for your ultimate defrocking and turn to Heathenism. Blush
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
08-02-2012, 06:56 PM
To me a classic isn't just a movie that was great for it's time. It's a movie that can be enjoyed even well past it's time. Citizen Kane doesn't do it for me. Camera angles or not.
You know who used new fancy camera angles for the time and who's best movies are really old and technically outdated? Akira Kurosawa. And I still enjoy almost all of his movies. Some weren't great and a couple weren't even good. But several were phenomenal. Even today. The facts that he used special and new camera techniques and that his cinematography was sometimes amazing are just like icing on a wonderful cake.

If you haven't seen any of Kurosawas films do me the favor and give them a shot. Start with the samurai films. They are the most fun to watch. Oh and Toshiro Mifune is such a good actor you practically know what he's talking about without reading the subtitles.

I'm done gushing.

[Image: 4chan-1322322700490.gif]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user