Watched something I shouldnt have

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2015, 05:24 AM
RE: Watched something I shouldnt have
(27-04-2015 05:21 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  This wasn't history. It was a random, senseless attack.

That's what bothers me the most.

I can handle war atrocities, acts of terrorism, the beheadings, the ISIS stuff. As sick as it is, at least they are doing it for some sort of reason they think is valid.

This senseless act I saw on this video maybe disturbs me because I can't understand why they did it.

They do it because it proves to them that they are superior.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2015, 05:29 AM
(27-04-2015 05:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't seek out horrifying videos as I have learned that one can never un-watch them.
They affect me almost as strongly as the few horrifying things I have witnessed in real life.

The few videos that I have seen that depict wanton cruelty or sadism have affected me. I am so disgusted and horrified by that behavior,
that if I happened upon someone torturing something helpless - human or animal - I would be hard-pressed not to simply shoot that person dead.

Yes - I believe I could act as judge, jury, and executioner in an instance like that.

Me too! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-04-2015, 05:32 AM
You never really get over it.

You just get used to it.

The worst one I had as duty swimmer at a USCG smallboat station (when I was a lowly seaman apprentice). Black lady had been in the water for several weeks (due to ice melt) on Lake Michigan. I had to get her into the stokes litter. She was so bloated the two guys on deck couldn't lift her. The smell of decomposition on my Henderson suit would never come out. Still have dreams about that one.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-04-2015, 06:41 AM
(27-04-2015 05:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
Black lady had been in the water for several weeks

Was it more or less horrific because of her skin colour?

Undecided

27-04-2015, 07:11 AM
(27-04-2015 06:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 05:32 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  ...
Black lady had been in the water for several weeks

Was it more or less horrific because of her skin colour?

Undecided
She wasn't black anymore.. that was sorta disturbing....

Only reason we knew she was black was from the family's report when she fell through the ice...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-04-2015, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2015 01:27 PM by Nurse.)
There comes a point when you get desensitized to the blood and gore and violence. Although blood and gore has really never bothered me too much - it's the "how could someone do this to another person?!". For me, I feel like I lost a part of myself along the way that I'll never get back - the ER really changed me. Just like you can't unsee things, you can't unhear or unsmell them either. In some ways, it's kinda like learning that the Easter Bunny and Santa aren't real - it steals that security blanket, like how it felt on 9/11.

The assaults were always the ones to upset me, as well as pediatric traumas in general. Even so, I really enjoyed working trauma most of the time.

I can't watch scary movies (other than the really campy ones) or real life gore videos. It gives me nightmares. I almost threw up in Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I saw it in the theatre- not from being grossed out, but because it made me so anxious, and I was thinking - what sick fuck comes up with this shit? I woke up the next morning screaming, and while partially awake I thought someone was standing over my bed trying to stab me with a butcher knife.

Edited for an error - I really need not to post after taking my sleeping pills

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
27-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Re: Watched something I shouldnt have
I watched a crush video years ago; it was horrible. It featured a kitten
and still lingers in my mind. I'm disgusted that someone could purposely cause such pain and terror to a living being. And what about the people who get their rocks off on that shit? Ugh.

It doesn't help that I'm on the schizophrenic spectrum. I may "see" the offending image for months afterward. And let's not get into the the nightmares. Dodgy

Yet people have a fascination with the disgusting and the horrific. I used to watch horror and other gruesome things that are a trigger.

Now that I'm older and I understand the mental aspect better, I avoid horror films, stupid ghost shows, etc. I rarely watch anything on the internet without reading the comments first.
27-04-2015, 08:52 AM
I used to watch horror movies, till 9/11. I cant do it anymore.

The last few nights have been hard to sleep because I watched a news special on sex trafficking. Every amber alert that comes across the news with kids involved, stories on internet predators luring teens to secret meetings, ugh...its killing me. Being a parent of two girls is down right terrifying sometimes.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
27-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah since becoming a Dad there are many things about my life that have changed.

Before I had any responsibilities, not a lot phased me. And maybe the video I saw might not have phased me if I saw it 15 years ago, but now my mind operates in a totally different way.
[+] 3 users Like TheStraightener's post
27-04-2015, 09:36 AM
I had a few runs as an Air Force firefighter that were pretty goddamned ugly -- an F-16 crash, a New Year's Eve auto accident -- but when you're in a rescue mindset, you learn to look past it so's you can do your duty. At least, I did. But I've seen enough of it that I don't click on the gore vids I've heard about.

I would imagine that more than the gore itself, the depravity would sear itself into my consciousness, and really, I can live without that. I know on an intellectual level that there are a lot of shitbags in this world. I don't need it confirmed viscerally.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post