Watching Fox News With Mom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2017, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 11:27 AM by Rockblossom.)
RE: Watching Fox News With Mom
I prefer real news to faux/Fox news, as I spend less time Gasp Facepalm

The whole "jobs thing" is used by politicians (yes, on BOTH sides) and talking heads to make whatever point they want to their target audience. Sound bites over real information for an audience that lives in a Twitter Reality where everything has to fit in 140 characters.

There will never be full employment because there will never be a perfect fit between open jobs and the skills of the people looking for jobs. The jobs are constantly changing as manufacturing moves unskilled or low skill tasks to automation, brick-and-mortar stores move to more on-line sales, and even jobs like taxi driver may ultimately be replaced with auto-driving cars. Workers want jobs they can keep until they retire, with a good salary, good healthcare, and good retirement benefits. Employers want efficiency, controlled costs and the best profits for their owners/stockholders/stakeholders. There's something called a Natural Rate of Unemployment that hovers around 5% in the USA. If the unemployment rate drops below that, then we are doing a good job at getting people to work.

The Rust Belt voters seem to think that if manufacturing is somehow lured back, then their jobs will come back. Manufacturing may come back, but it will be with different jobs handling/maintaining automated systems, not the old assembly-line jobs that were lost. And those jobs will mostly go to young workers already familiar with the technology, not the older ones who would have to be retrained. Of course, no one mentions that point.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
10-03-2017, 11:54 AM
They're (politicians and commentators) trying to manage expectations down, way down, because while there are jobs, they aren't necessarily a match with the training or abilities of people who want jobs.

The pundits on the right like to push the simplistic idea of individuals being completely responsible and in control of their success (ignoring complicating factors like being born into a resource-rich family or having above-average intelligence, beauty, athletic ability, etc.). The converse of this thinking is that individuals are completely responsible for their failures, as well, and therefore are undeserving of support or pity. Exceptions to this philosophy do occur in election years, but only if it's possible to pin the failure on the Democrats.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
11-03-2017, 09:14 PM
As a Canadian, and a friend to many Americans, I actually feel embarrassed for Americans because of that joker they voted into the White House. Sure, from the perspective of a neutral observer, Trump is certainly good for quite a few laughs as long as the crap he does doesn't affect me.

But I most certainly give my heartfelt sympathies to those of you Americans who have the required intellect to see through Trump's obvious bullshit, and realize that the stupid bastard obviously doesn't have a fucking clue what he got himself into.

As presenting myself as a representative of the world view, Trump is the laughing stock of the entire planet, and Putin is "wtfpwning" America on the world stage.

America has suddenly become the latest prime-time reality show.
12-03-2017, 03:04 AM
Believe me I know what it's like to wish to have your nuts caught in a mouse then to watch Fox News. Sadly I'm in college trying to push to getting an Associates Degree in Horticulture to get a decent job. Thus, as it's a community college, I have to put up with it.

Before anyone says anything about 'community college' I'm poor it was the only option I had that was near my area and that I could get into. Dodgy

My mom constantly has it on downstairs, her computer is to the right of the TV, so she keeps the sound at enough for her to hear as she play Pogo games. (She's what you'd call a 'Typical Southern House Wife'.) Feels like she's not happy unless she is complaining about something, thus Fox News fuels that 'addiction' (I'd call it that as it seems if she isn't complaining about something 'wrong' with the US then it's like it hinders her entire day.)

So yeah, have to put up with that bullshit every day, when I leave for college class, coming home. It's ALWAYS on. (*Bangs head on table*) Yet, she wonders why I'm always upstairs and not 'socializing' with her.

This was just another day of me being forced out of my room, that I share with my two younger sister, and having to sit down stairs with the music up loud. This little piece caught my attentions. Being that I'm going to be with a degree in another year, it's kind of concerning for me, if you can get that.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin