Watching Scientology go down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2015, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2015 02:21 AM by Billy Bob.)
RE: Watching Scientology go down
(24-03-2015 11:05 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  They've never really not been going down since the early 90s when there was an investigative piece about the group in TIME magazine. Before those times they were massively growing and able to spend the duckets to launch themselves into the pockets of government officials to be recognized.

Perhaps the Tom Cruise boom like a decade ago now gave a slim boost, at least financially but that also spread knowledge all around upon what they're actually based on. I've seen they were still shrinking because of it and not having the money to do construction projects for centers they wanted to build. I can't picture there being more harm to be done shutting them down after they were even ripped in plenty of basic cable shows throughout the past years.

^True dat.

Lawrence Wright's piece in the New Yorker, his subsequent book and now the documentary are the first really mainstream expose's since the TIME article. TIME got sued and won but the expense put many others off from investigating the cult.

This film is an opportunity for a little Schadenfreude at the expense of a deserving target.
One cockroach at a time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2015, 07:43 AM
(24-03-2015 11:05 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  They've never really not been going down since the early 90s when there was an investigative piece about the group in TIME magazine. Before those times they were massively growing and able to spend the duckets to launch themselves into the pockets of government officials to be recognized.

Perhaps the Tom Cruise boom like a decade ago now gave a slim boost, at least financially but that also spread knowledge all around upon what they're actually based on. I've seen they were still shrinking because of it and not having the money to do construction projects for centers they wanted to build. I can't picture there being more harm to be done shutting them down after they were even ripped in plenty of basic cable shows throughout the past years.

*ducats

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Scientology has expended a hole heap of energy trying to ridicule this film and to get HBO to not send it out. They created 13 attack videos on Gibney and ex-Scientologists who appear in the film). The video attacking Gibney is analysed on youtube here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4_0NzZdaKQ

If you sort the comments with newest first, you'll see there's a comment by a certain jockmcdock which links to the a CoS page. That page contains all attack videos and correspondence from the CoS to Gibney, people at HBO and lawyers for HBO.

The amount is both impressive and chilling.

The bastards are worried.
25-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Scientology's response to the film is blanket denial and the ad hom attack videos. They even smear the HBO VP.
Full page NYT, YouTube and Google attack ads have given 'Going Clear' a lot of free publicity. Oops.
25-03-2015, 12:10 PM
(25-03-2015 11:06 AM)Billy Bob Wrote:  Scientology's response to the film is blanket denial and the ad hom attack videos. They even smear the HBO VP.
Full page NYT, YouTube and Google attack ads have given 'Going Clear' a lot of free publicity. Oops.

Many of the people attacked had achieved high status in the CoS. So, I could argue that before they entered the CoS, they were 'good' people. But while they were in or after they left CoS, they became not just 'bad' people but 'totally nasty, vicious, horrible' people, showing the true effect of Scientology!! They were supposed to become better people!

Of course, the CoS would deny this. Which means their auditing program is a heap of complete and utter shit. Well, we knew that anyway.

Lose/lose, CoS.
25-03-2015, 12:45 PM
One of the more intriguing findings about the "church" of $cientology in the past decade and a half is the debunking of their membership claims. They still run around talking about "10 million" adherents, but analyses of other, more objective sources such as polls and census data put the actual number as low as 25,000 to 40,000.

$cientology really, truly is not a religion. It gained religious tax exempt status through bullying and blackmail.

It's going down. It will take a while, because it has accumulated enormous assets. I, for one, will cheer the day David Miscarriage is frog-marched off to prison.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
25-03-2015, 12:47 PM
(25-03-2015 11:06 AM)Billy Bob Wrote:  Oops.

The are exceedingly stupid and mired in mid-1980s thinking (and why not; that's the last time El Drone Hubbub was around) when it comes to this stuff. They cannot resist making every story worse.

Jackfucks.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
25-03-2015, 12:56 PM
(25-03-2015 12:45 PM)claywise Wrote:  One of the more intriguing findings about the "church" of $cientology in the past decade and a half is the debunking of their membership claims. They still run around talking about "10 million" adherents, but analyses of other, more objective sources such as polls and census data put the actual number as low as 25,000 to 40,000.

They are counting the thetans.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
25-03-2015, 01:06 PM
(25-03-2015 12:45 PM)claywise Wrote:  One of the more intriguing findings about the "church" of $cientology in the past decade and a half is the debunking of their membership claims. They still run around talking about "10 million" adherents, but analyses of other, more objective sources such as polls and census data put the actual number as low as 25,000 to 40,000.

$cientology really, truly is not a religion. It gained religious tax exempt status through bullying and blackmail.

It's going down. It will take a while, because it has accumulated enormous assets. I, for one, will cheer the day David Miscarriage is frog-marched off to prison.

I believe one of their counting techniques is "once a scientologist, always a scientologist." So if you were a member 25 years ago and left, they still count you (actually, the Catholic Church does the same - apparently, I'm still Catholic, 51 years after leaving). it wouldn't surprise me if they also counted people who died.

Of course, there's always the Universally Recognised Bullshit Coefficient. Work out the true figure and multiply by a URBC of, say, 10.

The acquisition of tax-free status of the CoS confuses people. How could they take on the IRS and win? People don't realise that the IRS collects taxes, but doesn't get to keep them. It's not their money. Throw enough law suits at the IRS and YOU could get tax exemption.

Miscavige is a leading candidate for slimiest creep on the planet. Yukk. Just yukk.
25-03-2015, 01:10 PM
(25-03-2015 01:06 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  I believe one of their counting techniques is "once a scientologist, always a scientologist."

Yes. Basically, they count anyone who ever took a "course" or bought a book or came into a $cieno center.

I'm surprised nobody has executed that little cunt Miscarriage yet. He sounds like one of the nastiest SOBs ever spawned.