Watching Scientology go down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2015, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2015 01:32 PM by jockmcdock.)
RE: Watching Scientology go down
(25-03-2015 01:10 PM)claywise Wrote:  Yes. Basically, they count anyone who ever took a "course" or bought a book or came into a $cieno center.

Yes!! Now I remember!! Your description is much more accurate than mine! They would invite people off the street to do a free trial test and even if they left immediately afterwards, they'd count them. Same with books. If they could get your name, you were one of them.

Edited to add: Thank You!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I've been looking into Scientology a little. It seems the original organization became super-corrupted after L Ron Hubbard croaked off in the mid 1980s. Not that it wasn't originally a corrupt organization ... but I think they didn't get with the real serious greed until after their head guy died.

He had a good thing going with his self-help Dianetics crap ... he should have just left it with that. Consider I have to think that Scientology's distain for psychology is sour grapes, since he couldn't sell Dianetics under the "pop-psychology" label.

March 29th ... hmm ... I hope the Marx Brothers double feature at my local art house has concluded by the time it airs. I should be able to endure even the horrors of Scientology after a healthy dose of Horse Feathers. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
25-03-2015, 02:58 PM
(25-03-2015 02:37 PM)kim Wrote:  It seems the original organization became super-corrupted after L Ron Hubbard croaked off in the mid 1980s.

Oh, Hubbard was corrupt, all right, and vicious and duplicitous and greedy and strange. But Miscavige certainly amped up the authoritarian insanity.

There are some excellent books out there if you want the gory details of the history of the "church," including:

A Piece of Blue Sky by Jon Atack
Bare-faced Messiah by Russell Miller

Wright's Going Clear is amazing.
Jenna Miscavige Hill's very humble Beyond Belief
Janet Reitman's Inside Scientology

And on and on. Go to this search on amazon and you'll see a great lineup.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
25-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I was listening to the Atheism 101 podcast this week and they were going into the history of scientology. Fortunately, it looks like this religion is going to die off slowly, unlike so many of the other crackpot religions.

There doesn't seem to be any level of stupidity that people won't believe. It's literally a sci-fi tale written by a sci-fi author and it's still not ridiculous enough to get Travolta or Tom Cruise to back off from it.Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-03-2015, 03:58 PM
(25-03-2015 03:24 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  it looks like this religion is going to die off slowly, unlike so many of the other crackpot religions.

In terms of numbers, they are doomed. Alas, during the boom years, through all the scams and tax-exempt schemes, they amassed huge assets. Any organization with that kind of money will take time to completely disapper.

I don't think I believe in some intrinsic concept of "evil," rather that people can commit evil acts. But if there is anyone living today who counts as evil, it's ISIS and Miscarriage.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
25-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Quote:Any organization with that kind of money will take time to completely disapper.

Unless someone at the top decided to take the money and run. We can only hope. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
25-03-2015, 05:10 PM
(25-03-2015 05:09 PM)pablo Wrote:  
Quote:Any organization with that kind of money will take time to completely disapper.

Unless someone at the top decided to take the money and run. We can only hope. Big Grin

Much speculation that when it gets too hot, Lil Davey Tinyfists will clean out the bank accounts and make for Monaco.

[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
27-03-2015, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2015 08:56 AM by Billy Bob.)
Captain David Miscavige or DM: lil' 4' 13" will never blow. Any sensible crook would have already taken a billion or so and be happily living the good life. 4' 13" is pathologically stuck in his position of power; COB the pope of Scientology.
If he escapes arrest, he'll end up traveling from Walmart to Walmart in an RV.

One cockroach at a time.
28-03-2015, 04:16 PM
They ought to be shut down and their leaders imprisoned for a multitude of things. Freedom of religion does not extend to financial schemes disguised as faith.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
28-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Confused Ah fuck. You mean I am STILL a Scientologist?