Watching other people play video games.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Watching other people play video games.
Apparently, there are "Colosseums" around the world and million viewer youtube channels who are dedicated to only watching other people play a video game.

I watched my friends play video games in front of me without ever letting me try the game or play it even one time for years. I hated every single minute of it. It is by far, the most aggrivating and stupid thing in the entire world.

It's why I am glade that retarded fucking T.V show that only played Video game trailers and gameplay is off tech T.V and the Tech channel has been reduced to shows no one cares about.

So, what the hell is up with the recent popularity of it? Even my room mates watch other people play video games, more-so than they actually play games themselves.

I bet 90% of the people who watch others play games, don't even play the games they watch! My room mates sure don't.

Whats the big flipping deal? eh?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
11-10-2014, 05:53 AM
RE: Watching other people play video games.
I suck at playing games. And I'm not interested in putting in the time to get good at it. So I watch my boyfriend play. Some of the games have good stories, and he talks to me about what's going on. Sometimes let's me make the choices if it's interactive like that. It's not much different than watching a movie or a tv show that you're interested in.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Not everyone has your shared experience, but I've seen several people say what you're saying.

Some people with siblings especially grew up enjoying watching other people play video games, even sometimes with their friends. There's a shared experience and element of interacting with people through media these days that drives it up bigtime.

I do say when I first saw the idea of a youtube guy playing video games I thought it was ridiculous. But it was just some old guy I saw in 09 playing old RPGs and he also had videos reviewing different fast food locations. I never imagined at that point it would be a huge of a thing it is these days.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
13-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I don't get the thrill of watching others play... Whenever I do watch, all I can think is "let me have a go".

Unless its a review or gameplay demo...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I can't imagine anything more boring than watching someone else playing competitive games, but it's always good to watch people playing terrible games which you'd never buy anyway. I also watched a few total walk through of single player games which were exclusives to some console, coz there is no way I'm forking out for a second, shitter computer just so I can play one or two games, but I am interested in the story so I watched a playthrough, preferably without any commentary.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
13-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I am video game impaired - always have been. I am not of the right generation for that stuff.

My son (now 27) used to want me to watch him play various games...I did, 'cause I love him and wanted to share what excited him so. However, it was boring to a degree that I can't even describe adequately. He will still call me in to show me something on a new game but it's usually good graphics, which I can appreciate.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
13-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I watched people play professional stracraft. I find it far more interesting than any other ("conventional") sport. I see popular streams on twitch.tv all the time where people play noncompetitive games like mario speed runs or new releases. It don't watch them that often, but it has been my experience that it is the personality of the broadcaster that brings people in, not the game.

Just as a side note, twitch.tv exists exclusively for live streaming gaming content. It just sold for literally billions of dollars not long ago. Over the last six or so years watching games has become a huge business.
[+] 3 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
13-10-2014, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 11:25 PM by PoolBoyG.)
There are two categories: commentary, and no commentary let's plays.

Commentary
1. Video game is background noise. The video is actually a podcast that viewers like to listen to for the topics or the personalities of the people talking.
2. Viewers are receiving tips and guides to beat or get more entertainment from a game.
3. Viewers are just checking out the game, while the lets player reviews it. Trying to determine whether to buy the game or not.
4. Viewers are receiving social buzz by experiencing emotions (surprise, fear, anger, etc) with the lets player. Feels like they have friends.
5. Lets player is skillful (or really terrible) in a game and the viewer is impressed or entertained by it.

No Commentary
1. Viewers treat the game like a movie or show. Following the story for entertainment.
2. (same as above) Tips and guides.
3. (same as above) Sampling product.
4. (same as above) Wowed by player.

Like with many things in life, peoples reasons for something varies.

Edit:

I've watched no commentary - edited together cinematics/gameplay of video games for the story. Mass Effect games, Batman games, Star Craft games. They're like movies. I've never played and will never play any of these game.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
14-10-2014, 12:38 AM
I don't get it either. I would never choose to watch somebody play games. If I stumble upon a friend playing something, or if somebody has something specific to show me (hasn't happened in years), then I will check it out. But I would never go out of my way to watch somebody else play. It's like watching somebody else eat. Yeah, I'll do it if I'm put in that situation, but I'd probably rather just be eating, myself.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
14-10-2014, 01:17 AM
I can't watch 'Lets Play' videos, or most other commentary over games. I can watch a game being demo'd or previewed (like at E3 or the Game Developer Conference), but that's about it. I just get bored if I'm not the one at the controls.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post