Watching other people play video games.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2014, 02:05 AM
RE: Watching other people play video games.

This is the perfect example of watching a game. It's got a fantastic story with actual Actors (Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith) would be a gigantic pain in the ass to not only track down a copy but get it running and the Commentator is genuinely funny. This is the kind of Lets Play I watch, something where I am not going to actually play the game myself. I tried watching a minecraft lets play once got about halfway through before I just lost all interest.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
14-10-2014, 02:09 AM
(14-10-2014 02:05 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

This is the perfect example of watching a game. It's got a fantastic story with actual Actors (Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith) would be a gigantic pain in the ass to not only track down a copy but get it running and the Commentator is genuinely funny. This is the kind of Lets Play I watch, something where I am not going to actually play the game myself. I tried watching a minecraft lets play once got about halfway through before I just lost all interest.

Big Grin

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-10-2014, 02:14 AM
(10-10-2014 09:24 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I bet 90% of the people who watch others play games, don't even play the games they watch! My room mates sure don't.

Whats the big flipping deal? eh?

Living vicariously.

It's reality TV for game enthusiasts.

Almost everyone has internet access, and with that access to YouTube. But not everyone has the disposable income to afford every game, or the latest and greatest gaming hardware. It's my understanding that for some of the largest YouTube lets-play channels (like Pew-Die-Pie) have a majority of their viewership in the low teen range; people with little to no disposable income. So if you might only get 1-3 games per year, sometimes the only way to 'experience' a game and not be left out of the evolving gaming landscape and discussion is to watch other people play them. Now I can afford my own gaming habit, so that appeal is lost on me, but I can see how a 13 year old who can't afford their own copy of Watch_Dogs might be interested in seeing what all of the hub-bub is about.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-10-2014, 02:20 AM

But that's also got that Mystery Science Theater 3K thing going for it where they lampoon the mess in front of them. MST3K makes all bad movies oh-so-much-better. That has a much different appeal then watching some prepubescent cockbite play Call of Duty multi-player just to watch them teabag other players to the background shrieking of 10 year-old's who think cussing is cool and calling someone a 'fag' is the height of a witty comebacks.

14-10-2014, 02:34 AM
(14-10-2014 02:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

But that's also got that Mystery Science Theater 3K thing going for it where they lampoon the mess in front of them. MST3K makes all bad movies oh-so-much-better. That has a much different appeal then watching some prepubescent cockbite play Call of Duty multi-player just to watch them teabag other players to the background shrieking of 10 year-old's who think cussing is cool and calling someone a 'fag' is the height of a witty comebacks.

Indeed which is why I brought it up. Still technically a lets play or watching someone else play a game but for a different audience. Some of the people who said they would never watch someone else play a game might actually enjoy that one. Stylistically it is a Spoonyone review that just goes even more in depth than he normally does, he has a running commentary (including a running gag about the swirling blue thing on the phones) to me that makes enough of a difference to make watching 11 15 minute videos worth it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-10-2014, 03:23 AM
(14-10-2014 02:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-10-2014 02:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But that's also got that Mystery Science Theater 3K thing going for it where they lampoon the mess in front of them. MST3K makes all bad movies oh-so-much-better. That has a much different appeal then watching some prepubescent cockbite play Call of Duty multi-player just to watch them teabag other players to the background shrieking of 10 year-old's who think cussing is cool and calling someone a 'fag' is the height of a witty comebacks.

Indeed which is why I brought it up. Still technically a lets play or watching someone else play a game but for a different audience. Some of the people who said they would never watch someone else play a game might actually enjoy that one. Stylistically it is a Spoonyone review that just goes even more in depth than he normally does, he has a running commentary (including a running gag about the swirling blue thing on the phones) to me that makes enough of a difference to make watching 11 15 minute videos worth it.

Spoony got us to sit through Highlander: The Source, so there is that... Tongue

14-10-2014, 05:57 AM
I often have a "let's play" on the background while I'm doing other things, including while I'm playing games. I use the Achievement Hunter Let's Play / Rooster Teeth channels[1][2] as background fairly often. Some of their shorter videos such as "versus" I'll sit down and watch.

The only long lets play I'll actually sit down and watch through is day[9], eg his Mostly walking series[3]. Day[9] has for a long time been, and continues to be one hell of an awesome human being... and that's coming from someone who doesn't even starcraft.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkxctb0...4Do6c6su0Q
[2] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzH3iAD...lIXjfNgTpA
[3] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaxar6T...ezoS00fLkA

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
14-10-2014, 07:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN2jDtRNuCI

Totalbiscuit explianed it better that I ever could.
[+] 2 users Like Zippo's post
15-10-2014, 05:57 PM
(14-10-2014 05:57 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I often have a "let's play" on the background while I'm doing other things, including while I'm playing games. I use the Achievement Hunter Let's Play / Rooster Teeth channels[1][2] as background fairly often. Some of their shorter videos such as "versus" I'll sit down and watch.

The only long lets play I'll actually sit down and watch through is day[9], eg his Mostly walking series[3]. Day[9] has for a long time been, and continues to be one hell of an awesome human being... and that's coming from someone who doesn't even starcraft.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkxctb0...4Do6c6su0Q
[2] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzH3iAD...lIXjfNgTpA
[3] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaxar6T...ezoS00fLkA

I model my entire life after day[9] lol.
19-10-2014, 08:41 PM
I enjoy the Youtube channels. It's fun watching a game that one might not be able to afford, or might not have access to. Plus the players themselves are a huge part of it. We get to know/like their personalities.

However, you can bet your sweet ass I grabbed all the games I've watched them play the second I got a gaming system. Watching is fun for its own reasons, but playing is playing. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user