Water, water everywhere

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2016, 07:37 PM
Water, water everywhere
A couple of articles on this today:

Evidence is mounting for the presence of a liquid water ocean beneath the frozen surface of Pluto. Kept from freezing by ammonium salts and tidal forces from Charon, this subsurface ocean is likely what's responsible for some of the Pluto's newer terrain and some of its orbital perculiarities. Who thought we might be looking for life on Pluto?

In other news, data from the MRO shows that Mars' Utopia Planitia has a shallowly buried ice deposit roughly equal to the volume of Lake Superior. The deposit is between 80 and 170 m thick, slightly larger than New Mexico, and is probably more aptly thought of as a glacier. It is located in Mars' mid-latitudes and has gentle terrain for landing spacecraft. In fact it's where they plunked Viking II down. Despite its impressive size, the Utopia Planitia ice sheet is thought to represent less than 1% of all water on Mars.

Given what we've learned about our own solar system and the abundance of exoplanets it's looking more and more as if the optimists may be right about the Drake equations.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-11-2016, 08:23 PM
RE: Water, water everywhere
7.8/10 Too Much Water -IGN

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
23-11-2016, 08:45 PM
There might be water on Pluto -- but I'm betting there's no tequila.....

So, so much for intelligent life there....................

heh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-11-2016, 07:42 AM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
24-11-2016, 07:09 PM
"...and not a drop to drink..."

(23-11-2016 07:37 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Given what we've learned about our own solar system and the abundance of exoplanets it's looking more and more as if the optimists may be right about the Drake equations.

While I share your optimism that the seemingly abundant presence of water in the solar system is a good sign that the presence of life maybe more likely, the pessimist in me sees a lazy universe.

What I mean by that is, life on earth is made of the most basic elements, hydrogen oxygen , carbon etc...in the universe. So if it was easy for life to start, it should already be everywhere. I think for life to start it needs the right elements in the right (usable form) in good quantities to have a chance.

Water (frozen or not) in a place with virtually no atmosphere (both Pluto or Mars) do not seem to be a promising place to hope for life.

...and of course there are the last parts of Drake's equation... even if intelligent life evolves on a planet, can it survive to the stage where it can reach out and communicate with other intelligent life?

We have chemical weapons, nuclear weapons, biological weapons, we are overusing our planets environment and resources, we can unleash havoc on ourselves and our planet in countless ways. And too many of our species still believe in invisible sky daddies & fairies, and unicorns, & angels and shit...

I feel we maybe in the last century where we get the first value to the last stage of Drake's equation.

I think this century maybe "the do or die" century Sadcryface

...or maybe I just had a shitty day at work...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
24-11-2016, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2016 08:07 AM by Full Circle.)
“Life, uh, finds a way”. ~ Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

A new study out of Caltech agrees with Jeff Goldblum’s most quotable line in ‘Jurassic Park’

http://www.presstelegram.com/science/201...assic-park

“The recent study from the institute suggests nature can incorporate silicon into the building blocks of life, potentially making it possible for life to form from silicon, rather than carbon as humans did.”

and

Silicon-Based Life? Bacteria Can Be Persuaded To Create Organosilicon Compounds, Study Shows
http://www.ibtimes.com/silicon-based-lif...dy-2451055

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
25-11-2016, 08:12 PM
(24-11-2016 09:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Silicon-Based Life? Bacteria Can Be Persuaded To Create Organosilicon Compounds, Study Shows

Many thanks for that link. If they've managed that in the lab then I'd bet solid money that it has already happened in nature. 20,000 km of ocean trench pull a few million tonnes of extremophile bacteria into the Earth's mantle every year moving at the speed your fingernails grow. Pretty much the perfect conditions to evolve from carbon-based to silicon-based chemistry.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
25-11-2016, 08:23 PM
(24-11-2016 07:09 PM)unsapien Wrote:  So if it was easy for life to start, it should already be everywhere.

To date we have made a partial study of just one planet in our solar system and may have discovered intelligent life here. Granted, it's the Mother of All Confirmation Biases.

It may not be easy for life to evolve. It may not be common. But what we've seen in the last couple of decades shows that there are probably a whole lot more places where nature can make a stab at it.

Personally, I'm hoping that life is common. For so very many better reasons than watching the devout lose their little minds when we discover it/it discovers us.

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
25-11-2016, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2016 10:44 PM by Full Circle.)
(25-11-2016 08:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 09:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Silicon-Based Life? Bacteria Can Be Persuaded To Create Organosilicon Compounds, Study Shows

Many thanks for that link. If they've managed that in the lab then I'd bet solid money that it has already happened in nature. 20,000 km of ocean trench pull a few million tonnes of extremophile bacteria into the Earth's mantle every year moving at the speed your fingernails grow. Pretty much the perfect conditions to evolve from carbon-based to silicon-based chemistry.

I can’t find the link now but they found exactly that at the bottom of an Icelandic lake with thermal vents.

PS I might have read it wrong since I cannot find it but I did find this report
http://nationalgeographic.org/media/deep...mal-vents/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-11-2016, 02:14 AM
(25-11-2016 09:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 08:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Many thanks for that link. If they've managed that in the lab then I'd bet solid money that it has already happened in nature. 20,000 km of ocean trench pull a few million tonnes of extremophile bacteria into the Earth's mantle every year moving at the speed your fingernails grow. Pretty much the perfect conditions to evolve from carbon-based to silicon-based chemistry.

I can’t find the link now but they found exactly that at the bottom of an Icelandic lake with thermal vents.

PS I might have read it wrong since I cannot find it but I did find this report
http://nationalgeographic.org/media/deep...mal-vents/

Yup, those are the seafloor vent extremophiles. The bacteria metabolize sulfur and iron and everything else snacks on them. If you want a really fun paper look up the "tube worm barbecue" on Google Scholar. The ODP dive on the Nine North vent field in 1991 came two weeks after an eruption. There are some particularly lurid descriptions of "dismembered tube worms covered in a fine veneer of volcanic glass".

I'd hope I would have heard if they'd found bacteria that incorporated silicon in place of carbon. The paper on the arsenic-dependant bacteria made the popular press after all and as impressive as chowing down on arsenic is, silicon-based life would be Big News. I'm hoping that the Earth's mantle is pretty much colonized. That's what I call an extreme environment!

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post