Water, water everywhere

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Water, water everywhere
(25-11-2016 08:23 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 07:09 PM)unsapien Wrote:  So if it was easy for life to start, it should already be everywhere.

It may not be easy for life to evolve. It may not be common. But what we've seen in the last couple of decades shows that there are probably a whole lot more places where nature can make a stab at it.

Personally, I'm hoping that life is common. For so very many better reasons than watching the devout lose their little minds when we discover it/it discovers us.

I guess the bigger issue is not about life finding a way... Clearly the Earth is teeming with life existing in great environmental extremes of heat/cold & pressures, I'm sure that even if something catastrophic happened to the Earth to turn it into a Martian wasteland or a Venusian hellhole something would still live.

But how easy is it for non living organic compounds (or something else non-organic?) to combine into something stable but still capable of self repair and replication? All life on Earth is carbon based & DNA based, is that the easiest way for life to start? Are there other ways for life to start and our type of life just out grew and killed off all the others?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply