Ways that religion negatively affects us in day to day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Ways that religion negatively affects us in day to day
Hey there,

I'm often asked why I'm so bothered by religion. I guess I'm not really "bothered" by it, other than I'm a big fan of logic and religion seems to fly in the face of that.

When people ask me that question I usually say it effects people like women who want to have an abortion, gays that want to get married, atheists who want to run for office BUT I'm usually met with "well you're not gay, you're not a woman, and you're not running for office so why does it consume you more than other issues!"

Are there any other way in which religion affects us in the majority of people's day to day lives in America? (I've moved here now)

Please don't go too much in to historical events like the Spanish Inquisition and the crusades. I'm asking for ways it effects is today.

Thanks,

Jay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2014, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 08:24 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
RE: Ways that religion negatively affects us in day to day
Are you a taxpayer?
This article is about a ruling in NC today on school vouchers. NC has ruled it unconstitutional, and now we have to try to get that money back, but other states might have a similar program.

Essentially there are taxpayer dollars for public education. Some people are able to take their child's "share" and pay it instead to the private school they attend. Private schools don't answer to the Board of Education, have no standards to meet, basically can do whatever the hell they want.

Taxpayer funds religious education
Makes for poor public schools
Poor public schools doesn't help a city attract jobs
Eventually those kids grow up to be idiotic citizens and voters and your city is in the toilet.

Lots of reasons.

http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2014/08/21/...ted-funds/

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
21-08-2014, 09:57 PM
(21-08-2014 07:29 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  I'm usually met with "well you're not gay, you're not a woman, and you're not running for office so why does it consume you more than other issues!"

Blink Ask them why they have such a problem with empathy and recognizing that something not effecting them personally does not make it okay and something to ignore.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
22-08-2014, 08:46 AM
(21-08-2014 07:29 PM)cockneyjay Wrote:  Hey there,

I'm often asked why I'm so bothered by religion. I guess I'm not really "bothered" by it, other than I'm a big fan of logic and religion seems to fly in the face of that.

When people ask me that question I usually say it effects people like women who want to have an abortion, gays that want to get married, atheists who want to run for office BUT I'm usually met with "well you're not gay, you're not a woman, and you're not running for office so why does it consume you more than other issues!"

Are there any other way in which religion affects us in the majority of people's day to day lives in America? (I've moved here now)

Please don't go too much in to historical events like the Spanish Inquisition and the crusades. I'm asking for ways it effects is today.

Thanks,

Jay

Well just pick up any paper and read the headlines. Look at what's going on in Ferguson, Missouri. I'm an not saying that it is directly caused by religion. It is caused by irrationality and religion is one of the chief promoters of irrationality. It teaches people to act on feelings instead of facts.

If you look throughout history you will see that whenever men abandon reason they usually pick up a stick or a stone or an AK-47.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick