We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2017, 11:35 AM
We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2
Quote:The world just passed another round-numbered climate milestone. Scientists predicted it would happen this year and lo and behold, it has.

On Tuesday, the Mauna Loa Observatory recorded its first-ever carbon dioxide reading in excess of 410 parts per million (it was 410.28 ppm in case you want the full deal). Carbon dioxide hasn’t reached that height in millions of years. It’s a new atmosphere that humanity will have to contend with, one that’s trapping more heat and causing the climate to change at a quickening rate.

In what’s become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. Just four years later, the 400 ppm mark is no longer a novelty. It’s the norm.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...d-for-co2/

Yeah we're fucked.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
23-04-2017, 11:58 AM
RE: We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Quote:The world just passed another round-numbered climate milestone. Scientists predicted it would happen this year and lo and behold, it has.

On Tuesday, the Mauna Loa Observatory recorded its first-ever carbon dioxide reading in excess of 410 parts per million (it was 410.28 ppm in case you want the full deal). Carbon dioxide hasn’t reached that height in millions of years. It’s a new atmosphere that humanity will have to contend with, one that’s trapping more heat and causing the climate to change at a quickening rate.

In what’s become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. Just four years later, the 400 ppm mark is no longer a novelty. It’s the norm.

Yeah we're fucked.

But keep subsidizing rampant procreation - because can't t be seen as not having "family values" and all that rot......

Rolleyes

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-04-2017, 12:05 PM
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  

Yeah we're fucked.

Let me chart that for you Big Grin

[Image: co2chart.jpg]

How soon before we hit 450? I say by September...

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
23-04-2017, 12:09 PM
[Image: HsrqjbS.gif]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
23-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Idiot cousins are telling me "we always had carbon dioxide in the air!"

Yeah, since you had more than three teeth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
23-04-2017, 01:43 PM
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  In what’s become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. Just four years later, the 400 ppm mark is no longer a novelty. It’s the norm.

The article you quoted was in error:

"This record, from the NOAA-operated Mauna Loa Observatory, near the top of Mauna Loa on the big island of Hawaii, shows that carbon dioxide has been increasing steadily from values around 317 parts per million (ppm) when Charles D. Keeling began measurements in 1958, to nearly 400 ppm today."

Quoted from an article written in May 2015: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelin...mber-mean/

The article goes on. 280 ppm was from the beginning of the industrial revolution:

"Prior to the Industrial Revolution, natural climate variations caused atmospheric CO2 to vary between about 200 ppm during ice ages and 300 ppm during the warmer periods between ice ages. At the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, around the year 1780, the CO2 concentration was about 280 ppm, so CO2 had already risen by around 40 ppm before Keeling began his measurements. Anyone who has breathed air with less than 300 ppm CO2 is now over 100 years old! An even longer but much less accurate record of atmospheric CO2 can be obtained using other geochemical methods. These suggest that the last time atmospheric CO2 was over 400 ppm was at least as far back as the Pliocene, three to five million years ago, before humans roamed the earth and when the climate was considerably warmer than today."
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
23-04-2017, 04:33 PM
(23-04-2017 01:43 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  In what’s become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. Just four years later, the 400 ppm mark is no longer a novelty. It’s the norm.

The article you quoted was in error:

"This record, from the NOAA-operated Mauna Loa Observatory, near the top of Mauna Loa on the big island of Hawaii, shows that carbon dioxide has been increasing steadily from values around 317 parts per million (ppm) when Charles D. Keeling began measurements in 1958, to nearly 400 ppm today."

Quoted from an article written in May 2015: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelin...mber-mean/

The article goes on. 280 ppm was from the beginning of the industrial revolution:

"Prior to the Industrial Revolution, natural climate variations caused atmospheric CO2 to vary between about 200 ppm during ice ages and 300 ppm during the warmer periods between ice ages. At the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, around the year 1780, the CO2 concentration was about 280 ppm, so CO2 had already risen by around 40 ppm before Keeling began his measurements. Anyone who has breathed air with less than 300 ppm CO2 is now over 100 years old! An even longer but much less accurate record of atmospheric CO2 can be obtained using other geochemical methods. These suggest that the last time atmospheric CO2 was over 400 ppm was at least as far back as the Pliocene, three to five million years ago, before humans roamed the earth and when the climate was considerably warmer than today."

HA! Proof positive that there are errors in the system and that climate change is a conspiracy! I really want to see what Breitbart thinks about this.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
23-04-2017, 05:09 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
23-04-2017, 05:17 PM
One's tempted to ask, don't the ones denying climate change have any children, grandchildren? Are they really that stupid? In my 54 years I can give at least anecdotal evidence on how climate changed. Never in my life did we had summers with 40 degrees celsius and never in my life did we have winters without a flake of snow.

Climate is changing. Everyone denying it is either stupid or so in love money that they just don't care if they leave behind scorched earth.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
23-04-2017, 05:20 PM
(23-04-2017 05:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  One's tempted to ask, don't the ones denying climate change have any children, grandchildren? Are they really that stupid? In my 54 years I can give at least anecdotal evidence on how climate changed. Never in my life did we had summers with 40 degrees celsius and never in my life did we have winters without a flake of snow.

Climate is changing. Everyone denying it is either stupid or so in love money that they just don't care if they leave behind scorched earth.

It's all about the money with the deniers. "I might not be able to get that 800" TV if I have to cut back on stupid shit just to save the planet."