We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2017, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2017 07:34 PM by Chas.)
RE: We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2
(23-04-2017 01:43 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  In what’s become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. Just four years later, the 400 ppm mark is no longer a novelty. It’s the norm.

The article you quoted was in error:

"This record, from the NOAA-operated Mauna Loa Observatory, near the top of Mauna Loa on the big island of Hawaii, shows that carbon dioxide has been increasing steadily from values around 317 parts per million (ppm) when Charles D. Keeling began measurements in 1958, to nearly 400 ppm today."

Quoted from an article written in May 2015: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelin...mber-mean/

The article goes on. 280 ppm was from the beginning of the industrial revolution:

"Prior to the Industrial Revolution, natural climate variations caused atmospheric CO2 to vary between about 200 ppm during ice ages and 300 ppm during the warmer periods between ice ages. At the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, around the year 1780, the CO2 concentration was about 280 ppm, so CO2 had already risen by around 40 ppm before Keeling began his measurements. Anyone who has breathed air with less than 300 ppm CO2 is now over 100 years old! An even longer but much less accurate record of atmospheric CO2 can be obtained using other geochemical methods. These suggest that the last time atmospheric CO2 was over 400 ppm was at least as far back as the Pliocene, three to five million years ago, before humans roamed the earth and when the climate was considerably warmer than today."

I'm sure you have a point, but you didn't state it. Consider

That the levels of greenhouse gases have been high in the past and the climate warmer has pretty much nothing to do with the issue of climate change today.

It is clear that the effects of warming are occurring at an increasing rate, probably faster than at any time in pre-history. Our world will change drastically and it won't be pretty.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2017, 06:17 PM
(23-04-2017 05:09 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  [Image: giphy.gif]

This is the sort of shit that really pisses me off. We heedlessly send tons of that toxic shit into air. It's going to take so much before it goes sideways on us.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
23-04-2017, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2017 06:36 PM by Kaneda.)
This scene from one of the classics, featured below, describes the end times in the colorful language we like to use here. Not exactly a perfect analogue, but I dug it all the same:

*walks away now*

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post
24-04-2017, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017 04:03 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(23-04-2017 05:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  Climate is changing. Everyone denying it is either stupid or so in love money that they just don't care if they leave behind scorched earth.

I think it has more to do with their belief systems. Many capitalists believe in the "hidden hand" idea that if everyone pursues their own selfish ends it will produce the best overall outcome. They have their whole identities tied up with unlimited future growth since that has worked so well in the past. They see as us changing the rules of the game so that instead of them being winners, they are really losers. That's why they dismiss climate change as a mere political game and won't look at the facts in any detail.

At least that seems to be the case with my sister and her husband, who are self-made millionaires and climate change deniers. (My sister even thinks she is an environmentalist too.)

We are changing the climate so quickly that even humans may not be able to adapt fast enough, either physically or mentally.
24-04-2017, 05:19 AM
(24-04-2017 03:59 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  We are changing the climate so quickly that even humans may not be able to adapt fast enough, either physically or mentally.

It will be land under for most coastal hubs. That in itself is a catastrophic scenario and that's not even taking account of the ensuing humanitarian crisis.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
24-04-2017, 05:36 AM
Invest in moving companies & construction companies.
Perhaps underground agriculture companies.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
24-04-2017, 06:06 AM
(23-04-2017 05:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  One's tempted to ask, don't the ones denying climate change have any children, grandchildren? Are they really that stupid? In my 54 years I can give at least anecdotal evidence on how climate changed. Never in my life did we had summers with 40 degrees celsius and never in my life did we have winters without a flake of snow.

Climate is changing. Everyone denying it is either stupid or so in love money that they just don't care if they leave behind scorched earth.

We used to get snow every year in southern England not anymore. Climate change deniers can suck my testicles !
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
24-04-2017, 06:20 AM
(24-04-2017 05:36 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Invest in moving companies & construction companies.

How about companies that physically move your house like this one?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
24-04-2017, 06:31 AM
(24-04-2017 06:20 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 05:36 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Invest in moving companies & construction companies.

How about companies that physically move your house like this one?

That's putting a bandaid on a sucking chest gunshot wound.

Figure out a way to drastically reduce the human population as quickly, humanely and as painlessly possible - permanently.

That's the real solution.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-04-2017, 06:33 AM
(24-04-2017 06:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 05:17 PM)abaris Wrote:  One's tempted to ask, don't the ones denying climate change have any children, grandchildren? Are they really that stupid? In my 54 years I can give at least anecdotal evidence on how climate changed. Never in my life did we had summers with 40 degrees celsius and never in my life did we have winters without a flake of snow.

Climate is changing. Everyone denying it is either stupid or so in love money that they just don't care if they leave behind scorched earth.

We used to get snow every year in southern England not anymore. Climate change deniers can suck my testicles !

This year was also the most mild winter yet in recent years here in Indiana, US.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post