We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2017, 08:42 AM
RE: We Just Breached the 410 PPM Threshold for CO2
(24-04-2017 08:28 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 08:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  My life isn't very good I wouldn't actually mind being processed into say dog food or fertilizer, something useful along those lines as long as the passing was painless, like say nitrogen narcosis or something. Drinking Beverage

I don't know about you but I hear a plane crash is a relatively painless way to go. It usually happens so fast that your brain doesn't have a chance to process it, and makes for a fairly badass obituary after the dust settles. Hell, if the impact is swift and violent enough, you might just sidestep the whole morgue thing and avoid the stigma of coroners meddling with your corpse after you kick it.

Fuck no thanks all that screaming on the way down and what if you survived the crash only to be slowly turned into a crispy critter by burning jet fuel, immolation is my worst fear/ phobia, I don't want to die by fire.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
24-04-2017, 10:35 AM
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Quote:The world just passed another round-numbered climate milestone. Scientists predicted it would happen this year and lo and behold, it has.

On Tuesday, the Mauna Loa Observatory recorded its first-ever carbon dioxide reading in excess of 410 parts per million (it was 410.28 ppm in case you want the full deal). Carbon dioxide hasn’t reached that height in millions of years. It’s a new atmosphere that humanity will have to contend with, one that’s trapping more heat and causing the climate to change at a quickening rate.

In what’s become a spring tradition like Passover and Easter, carbon dioxide has set a record high each year since measurements began. It stood at 280 ppm when record keeping began at Mauna Loa in 1958. In 2013, it passed 400 ppm. Just four years later, the 400 ppm mark is no longer a novelty. It’s the norm.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...d-for-co2/

Yeah we're fucked.

What is worse, based on what the COSMOS series with Neil Degrasse Tyson was quoted as saying in one episode, that there was a scientist back in the 1890s who was saying if we go over a certain level it will be bad.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
24-04-2017, 11:01 AM
(24-04-2017 10:35 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(23-04-2017 11:35 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...d-for-co2/

Yeah we're fucked.

What is worse, based on what the COSMOS series with Neil Degrasse Tyson was quoted as saying in one episode, that there was a scientist back in the 1890s who was saying if we go over a certain level it will be bad.

Yup, my chemistry teacher in the early 80s predicted climate change, said you can't continue to burn over 800 tonnes of oxygen on a single one-way transatlantic flight without consequence.
24-04-2017, 11:04 AM
(24-04-2017 11:01 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yup, my chemistry teacher in the early 80s predicted climate change, said you can't continue to burn over 800 tonnes of oxygen on a single one-way transatlantic flight without consequence.

About the same time the green parties rose in Europe and started to take the parliaments.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
24-04-2017, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017 11:33 AM by adey67.)
(24-04-2017 11:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 11:01 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yup, my chemistry teacher in the early 80s predicted climate change, said you can't continue to burn over 800 tonnes of oxygen on a single one-way transatlantic flight without consequence.

About the same time the green parties rose in Europe and started to take the parliaments.

Yes but the greens are a bunch of unrealistic tofu eating sandle wearing dreadlock sporting idealists many with very little grip on reality. Climate change is real we need action but pragmatism too, not a bunch of neo hippies hugging trees and eschewing all transport other than bicycles and foot power. How much carbon to make a bicycle I wonder. Consider If they chucked out the fringe loons I might, might, consider voting for them, but only if they made dreadlocks illegal for white people, whites with dreadlocks look awful and just wrong. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
24-04-2017, 12:42 PM
(24-04-2017 11:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yes but the greens are a bunch of unrealistic tofu eating sandle wearing dreadlock sporting idealists many with very little grip on reality.

Don't mistake your (American?) image of the Green Party for what the reality is. In Europe they're pretty strong, fighting for the environment as well as against the far right. They're also on the forefront of fighting for social issues, such as LGBT right or the pro choice movement. They're part of many regional governments and already were part of a coalition rulling Germany between '98 and 2005.

They're not a laughing stock. They graduated from being a grass root movement to a serious political power that finds support throughout all social groups. While not rising up to be the strongest political parties, they gain a decent amount of votes. Between ten and fifteel percent in the general elections.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
24-04-2017, 01:57 PM
(24-04-2017 11:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 11:04 AM)abaris Wrote:  About the same time the green parties rose in Europe and started to take the parliaments.

Yes but the greens are a bunch of unrealistic tofu eating sandle wearing dreadlock sporting idealists many with very little grip on reality. Climate change is real we need action but pragmatism too, not a bunch of neo hippies hugging trees and eschewing all transport other than bicycles and foot power. How much carbon to make a bicycle I wonder. Consider If they chucked out the fringe loons I might, might, consider voting for them, but only if they made dreadlocks illegal for white people, whites with dreadlocks look awful and just wrong. Tongue

I'd imagine there's less carbon involved in making bicycles than cars. Just saying.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
24-04-2017, 03:00 PM
(24-04-2017 12:42 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 11:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yes but the greens are a bunch of unrealistic tofu eating sandle wearing dreadlock sporting idealists many with very little grip on reality.

Don't mistake your (American?) image of the Green Party for what the reality is. In Europe they're pretty strong, fighting for the environment as well as against the far right. They're also on the forefront of fighting for social issues, such as LGBT right or the pro choice movement. They're part of many regional governments and already were part of a coalition rulling Germany between '98 and 2005.

They're not a laughing stock. They graduated from being a grass root movement to a serious political power that finds support throughout all social groups. While not rising up to be the strongest political parties, they gain a decent amount of votes. Between ten and fifteel percent in the general elections.

I'm a Brit so still European but not for long, Wink Tongue
24-04-2017, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2017 03:26 PM by adey67.)
(24-04-2017 01:57 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 11:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yes but the greens are a bunch of unrealistic tofu eating sandle wearing dreadlock sporting idealists many with very little grip on reality. Climate change is real we need action but pragmatism too, not a bunch of neo hippies hugging trees and eschewing all transport other than bicycles and foot power. How much carbon to make a bicycle I wonder. Consider If they chucked out the fringe loons I might, might, consider voting for them, but only if they made dreadlocks illegal for white people, whites with dreadlocks look awful and just wrong. Tongue

I'd imagine there's less carbon involved in making bicycles than cars. Just saying.

True but they're not as fast. But seriously what we need to do is reduce commercial air travel both passenger and freight, ban or make package holidays and business meetings abroad prohibitively expensive, increase investment in renewable energy but for it to have any real effect it needs to be global and I cant ever see that kind of consensus happening.
24-04-2017, 03:38 PM
(24-04-2017 03:02 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(24-04-2017 01:57 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'd imagine there's less carbon involved in making bicycles than cars. Just saying.

True but they're not as fast. But seriously what we need to do is reduce commercial air travel both passenger and freight, ban or make package holidays and business meetings abroad prohibitively expensive, increase investment in renewable energy but for it to have any real effect it needs to be global and I cant ever see that kind of consensus happening.

There are a lot of places that could use power that doesn't come off a grid, or use power from a grid that has a large carbon footprint.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user