We Pay More In Taxes, We Should Get More Votes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 11:47 AM
We Pay More In Taxes, We Should Get More Votes!
Never in my life have I seen such a brazen suggestion by a privelaged person to hijack and monopolize out democracy. He does it in all seriousness, too.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/investin...?hpt=hp_t1

What an utterly contemptible asshole.

Hong Kong(CNN Money) - Tom Perkins suggested Thursday that only taxpayers should have the right to vote -- and that wealthy Americans who pay more in taxes should get more votes.
The venture capitalist offered the unorthodox proposal when asked to name one idea that would "change the world" at a speaking engagement in San Francisco moderated by Fortune's Adam Lashinsky.

"The Tom Perkins system is: You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes," Perkins said.

"But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars in taxes, you get a million votes. How's that?"

The audience at the Commonwealth Club reacted with laughter. But Perkins offered no immediate indication that he was joking. Asked offstage if the proposal was serious, Perkins said: "I intended to be outrageous, and it was."

Perkins seemed to be aware that he was courting controversy, saying that his voting proposal would "make you more angry than my letter to the Wall Street Journal."

That letter, published last month, compared the supposed assault on the wealthy to a wave of Nazi attacks on Jews ahead of the Holocaust.

The letter sparked a public firestorm, and the venture capital firm he co-founded -- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers -- distanced itself from his comments. Perkins has since allowed that the comparison went too far, but has not apologized for the overall message and his warning about anti-rich "radicalism."

The Perkins plan for determining who should be allowed to vote is likely to give his critics further ammunition.

For his part, Perkins shows no signs of backing down from his argument that the rich in America are under attack. Perkins said Thursday that the trend has grown since the election of President Obama -- who he described as an "amateur."

Pressed for examples of how the rich were being demonized, Perkins said that he feared higher taxes.

"The fear is wealth tax, higher taxes, higher death taxes -- just more taxes until there is no more 1%. And that that will creep down to the 5% and then the 10%," he said.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
14-02-2014, 11:59 AM
RE: We Pay More In Taxes, We Should Get More Votes!
Time for....

[Image: sanglantguillo.gif]

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
14-02-2014, 12:02 PM
(14-02-2014 11:59 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Time for....

[Image: sanglantguillo.gif]

Yup.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

14-02-2014, 12:09 PM
You might want to relook into who benifits from a fair tax. The sales tax would replace ALL federal income taxes including corporate profits, capital gains, estate and gift taxes. Who get the most bang from those going away?
14-02-2014, 12:23 PM
(14-02-2014 12:09 PM)wazzel Wrote:  You might want to relook into who benifits from a fair tax. The sales tax would replace ALL federal income taxes including corporate profits, capital gains, estate and gift taxes. Who get the most bang from those going away?

That's being replaced by a national sales tax which, per annum takes in similar amounts of money as do current taxes as people buy goods and services.

Secondly, here, we are talking about access to votes based upon income, not monetary benefits of taxation.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

14-02-2014, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 12:29 PM by Cathym112.)
Is it bad that I agree with Perkins on only one point?

In this country, no one shall have taxation without representation. However, does this not swing both ways? That if you aren't taxed, why should you get representation?

I don't think I should get more votes than anyone else, but if someone isn't paying into the system, yet demanding benefits from it, I'm not necessarily sure I agree with their right to representation.

Seriously. this study shows that 40% of Americans pay a negative tax rate. Meaning they do not pay anything into the system, but rather, the system pays them.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
14-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Democracy is nothing but an illusion.

Im sure if you asked people the majority would be anti-war, yet your vote does not decide who the west bombs out of existence.

You cant even protest peacefully without getting pepper sprayed or smashed up by the police.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
14-02-2014, 01:32 PM
In Republican Rome voting power was proportional to wealth. That's what the original census was to determine. Of course, military service was also linked to property...

... this is my signature!
14-02-2014, 01:35 PM
(14-02-2014 12:40 PM)bemore Wrote:  Democracy is nothing but an illusion.

Im sure if you asked people the majority would be anti-war, yet your vote does not decide who the west bombs out of existence.

You cant even protest peacefully without getting pepper sprayed or smashed up by the police.

I'm not sure which polemic dystopian novel you're apparently writing to us from, but there's a difference between "things are imperfect" and "EVERYTHING IS FUNDAMENTALLY CORRUPT BY DESIGN WAKE UP SHEEPLE".

... this is my signature!
14-02-2014, 01:57 PM
(14-02-2014 12:23 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 12:09 PM)wazzel Wrote:  You might want to relook into who benifits from a fair tax. The sales tax would replace ALL federal income taxes including corporate profits, capital gains, estate and gift taxes. Who get the most bang from those going away?

That's being replaced by a national sales tax which, per annum takes in similar amounts of money as do current taxes as people buy goods and services.

Secondly, here, we are talking about access to votes based upon income, not monetary benefits of taxation.

Both are preferential to rich people.

The idea of getting more votes because you are rich is stupid.