We Pay More In Taxes, We Should Get More Votes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 10:48 AM
RE: We Pay More In Taxes, We Should Get More Votes!
(15-02-2014 10:38 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 10:22 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Giving an interest free loan to the government is the silliest thing I've ever heard!

This way, when one of the *many* idiots I know asks to borrow money, I'm not lying when I say I don't have it.

I was pretty much just pointing out that not everyone on the negative taxes list is shady.

Your witholding has nothing to do with whether or not you pay negative taxes. Also, I'm not sure everyone here is factoring in SS and Medicare, which are also federal income taxes. The Fair Tax replaces those too.

The total of these three taxes, is your federal income tax bill.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't think the study separated out reasons. I think if you get a check from the government instead of having to pay them, you are in the negative group. Right?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
15-02-2014, 10:58 AM
(15-02-2014 10:50 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I don't think the study separated out reasons. I think if you get a check from the government instead of having to pay them, you are in the negative group. Right?

Generally, no. You need to look at the total witheld, from your pay. For almost everyone, it's larger than any refund.

Example: (percentages are only notional for demonstration)

You're pre-tax pay each week is $700. But $200 is witheld for various income taxes.
When you file your return, you get a refund of $3000. But this isn't free money, it's just an overpayment being returned.

Your total take home pay for the year is then $500*52 + $3000 = $29000
But your pretax pay for the year was $700*52 = $36400
You paid $7400 in income taxes that year.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
15-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Blink

I know how to do math, thank you. I'm saying the semantics aren't important. You either get a check or a bill. No semantics.

I don't think what I'm trying to say is getting through to you, so I'll just step out now.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
15-02-2014, 11:16 AM
(15-02-2014 11:12 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  You either get a check or a bill.

Huh???? So, if $1,000,000 was automatically deducted from your paycheck for taxes, and at the end of the year the IRS refunds a $1 overpayment, you're saying that means you didn't pay any income tax because you forgot about the $999,999 that was automatically deducted???

This is obviously why politicians love to bury taxes in automatic deductions and spread across all sorts of sectors. People forget how much they're actually paying.
15-02-2014, 11:18 AM
(14-02-2014 11:59 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  Time for....

[Image: sanglantguillo.gif]

Actually I've got an idea. If you're hellbent on decapitating an arrogant prick, instead of picking a guy who's created millions of jobs, how about some worthless asshole who's only contribution to society has been to annoy the shit out of everybody? I nominate Justin Bieber.
15-02-2014, 11:38 AM
(15-02-2014 11:16 AM)frankksj Wrote:  Huh???? So, if $1,000,000 was automatically deducted from your paycheck for taxes, and at the end of the year the IRS refunds a $1 overpayment, you're saying that means you didn't pay any income tax because you forgot about the $999,999 that was automatically deducted???

That's almost the opposite of what I'm saying.....is this a joke? Guys, I said drop it. Does every single thread *have* to get off topic around here?

15-02-2014, 04:13 PM
(15-02-2014 10:50 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I don't think the study separated out reasons. I think if you get a check from the government instead of having to pay them, you are in the negative group. Right?

You aren't seeming to understand. Getting money back from the government in your instance is because you overpaid your taxes. The negative tax rate refers only to individuals that do not pay taxes, yet collect government assistance.

If you make less than 20k a year (not sure of the exact cut off), you don't even file a tax return.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-02-2014, 04:16 PM
(15-02-2014 11:12 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Blink

I know how to do math, thank you. I'm saying the semantics aren't important. You either get a check or a bill. No semantics.

I don't think what I'm trying to say is getting through to you, so I'll just step out now.

But there ARE semantics. Getting a check because you paid too much is a fuck of a lot different than getting a check for welfare or SS.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
15-02-2014, 04:22 PM
(15-02-2014 04:16 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  But there ARE semantics. Getting a check because you paid too much is a fuck of a lot different than getting a check for welfare or SS.

Well I'M not on welfare OR social security, and I don't fucking care. I already said I'm not responding to this anymore because the miscommunication is pissing me off. Is there a part of that that you didn't understand?

STOP RESPONDING TO ME. STOP.

THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE IT ANY CLEARER THAN THIS.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS SENTENCE.

OR THIS ONE.

STOOOOOOOOOP.