'We Shouldn't Stoop To Their Level'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 06:21 PM
RE: 'We Shouldn't Stoop To Their Level'
(26-09-2012 04:44 PM)GabrielSun Wrote:  I think we need to take a look at our social responsibility as a society; that we created or allowed to create these kinds of people and make it better.

Couldnt have said it better myself Thumbsup

Deal with the problem.... not the symptoms.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
26-09-2012, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2012 07:28 PM by depat.)
I don't believe in capital punishment; I don't believe in evil. I simply believe that people are capable of doing terrible thing because of several reasons, incomprable to most of us. Acting on revenge is not something I ascribe to. However, because so many crimes are of such a nature that people are in threat then this person must be removed from society. Unfortunately, prison is not a proven avenue for reform nor a deterrent to crime.

Note: my daughter and myself have both been victims of a violent crime. I did not think of revenge or even justice, simply that this person could not do this to another. humanist speaking here.
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post
26-09-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't believe in punishment. I believe in making a repeat action impossible. I would let them choose - death or life long imprisonment. I also believe that prisoners should work for their keep, and could work extra for extras, such as a tv. No, not thinking of chaingangs, lots of ways to make money from "home".

But, set that aside.

Some muslims come across an adulteress.

They stone her to death.

Now what do you think about whose punishment? They just followed the law by stoning her...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Is it moral to "stoop to their level"? Tell me, do two wrongs make a right?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
27-09-2012, 07:35 AM
(27-09-2012 07:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Is it moral to "stoop to their level"? Tell me, do two wrongs make a right?

Is it right that we should defend the rights of those who violate the rights of others?

Is it right that I can go out and commit a terrible act against another human being safe in the knowledge that I'll never have to face such terrible repercussions?

Is it right that a murderer can give an effective "life sentence" to another person and everyone who knew and cared for them yet be free to live a full life themselves within twelve years?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-09-2012, 08:17 AM
(27-09-2012 07:35 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Is it right that a murderer can give an effective "life sentence" to another person and everyone who knew and cared for them yet be free to live a full life themselves within twelve years?

Is it right that a man may waste his life rotting in jail? 12 years is a long time. To have even a week of my life taken away I would count a great loss.

I can understand the sense of justice. But if you don't kill him then and there, you *have* to give him a chance at life afterward.

How do you classify murder? There will be borderline cases, don't forget. You would condemn a man forever? What if it could have been self defense but the sentence is life?

Also, you need solutions that don't keep people in jail. Otherwise it's half the population working to keep the other half in jail.
27-09-2012, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2012 08:22 AM by Logica Humano.)
(27-09-2012 07:35 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 07:21 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Is it moral to "stoop to their level"? Tell me, do two wrongs make a right?

Is it right that we should defend the rights of those who violate the rights of others?

Is it right that I can go out and commit a terrible act against another human being safe in the knowledge that I'll never have to face such terrible repercussions?

Is it right that a murderer can give an effective "life sentence" to another person and everyone who knew and cared for them yet be free to live a full life themselves within twelve years?

The question is: Is it necessary to kill murderers and pedophiles? I think not. If criteria for crimes were more correct, life sentences would be a non-issue. Death sentences are, in fact, stooping to their level, and it is indeed wrong. Killing them is not about preventing it from happening again, it is about vengeance.

(27-09-2012 08:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Also, you need solutions that don't keep people in jail. Otherwise it's half the population working to keep the other half in jail.

That is why certain crimes (which produce the majority of the prison population) should be null. Money would not be a problem. And a half of the population is not made up of murderers and pedophiles.

Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
27-09-2012, 08:20 AM
(27-09-2012 08:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  Is it right that a man may waste his life rotting in jail? 12 years is a long time. To have even a week of my life taken away I would count a great loss.

I can understand the sense of justice. But if you don't kill him then and there, you *have* to give him a chance at life afterward.

How do you classify murder? There will be borderline cases, don't forget. You would condemn a man forever? What if it could have been self defense but the sentence is life?

Also, you need solutions that don't keep people in jail. Otherwise it's half the population working to keep the other half in jail.

I've already said that I don't think a "fair" system is workable. I'm just saying that if there was one I'd use it, most people seem to be against it.

I'm speaking hypothetically.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
27-09-2012, 08:23 AM
(27-09-2012 08:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The question is: Is it necessary to kill murderers and pedophiles? I think not. If criteria for crimes were more correct, life sentences would be a non-issue. You are, in fact, stooping to their level, and it is indeed wrong. Killing them is not about preventing it from happening again, it is about vengeance.

It's about both. Why should a child rapist be considered above facing vengeance?

Best
Worst
27-09-2012, 08:25 AM
(27-09-2012 08:23 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 08:18 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The question is: Is it necessary to kill murderers and pedophiles? I think not. If criteria for crimes were more correct, life sentences would be a non-issue. You are, in fact, stooping to their level, and it is indeed wrong. Killing them is not about preventing it from happening again, it is about vengeance.

It's about both. Why should a child rapist be considered above facing vengeance?

That is not the question. The question is this: Is vengeance necessary or right?

Let me ask you this. Do you think violent psychopaths should be killed if they have murdered?

Poonjab