We all know what really killed her

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
We all know what really killed her
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/06/0...-accident/
Quote:SMICKSBURG (KDKA) — An Amish woman from Indiana County died this week after an accident while she was doing laundry.

Ella Miller, 32, was doing laundry in a pot over an open flame early Monday morning.

State police say she threw some kerosene on the fire in an attempt to intensify the heat, but that caused an explosion which caught her clothing on fire.

Miller suffered first, second and third degree burns. At her request, she was treated with home remedies by family and neighbors.

Miller died Wednesday morning after an infection set in. The cause of her death is listed as septicemia and severe thermal burns.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
RE: We all know what really killed her
I really don't understand the amish using kerosene, it's too new of a chemical. Now I've gotta go read the site that explains why they use it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 11:02 PM by The Doctor.)
(03-06-2011 10:52 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I really don't understand the amish using kerosene, it's too new of a chemical. Now I've gotta go read the site that explains why they use it.

They can use kerosene has an fire starter and a fuel for heat. Any technology must be reviewed with the elders before it's needed. Like they can use electricity for some devices.

Quote:Technology

Modern technology is used selectively by the Amish for fear that it may weaken the family structure.[12] If any equipment does not maintain principles of Gelassenheit, it is banned. Anything which could promote sloth, luxury or vanity is strictly prohibited. Because 120v electricity connects to the outside world, it violates the Amish idea of separation from society. Owning an automobile could be a sign of status and it would promote vanity and competition between the church members; a direct violation of Gelassenheit's value of modesty. A telephone in the house would be a temptation to stay at home speaking to a friend rather than walking or taking a buggy ride to visit a neighbor.
Although Amish home and social life has remained mostly unaltered, a new technology can be considered into their society once it has passed a rigorous examination. The Ordnung is used to examine any new proposed use of technology. A proposal may be accepted for business reasons, but never for personal wishes, for entertainment or for self indulgences. A proposal will likely be rejected if it could have social implications. A telephone in the home is prohibited among the Old Order Amish because it interferes with face-to-face visits with the neighbors. Conversely, a few of the more liberal districts have allowed the telephone. Any technology that is seen to be corrupting spiritual or family life is rejected out of hand. Television would never be considered because it brings unbiblical values into the home.[3]
Amish dairy farms have discarded the metal milk bucket and three legged stool in favor of an automated milking system. The Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture demand that certain guidelines be followed before milk can be marketed. Thus, power equipment and refrigerated bulk tanks are a necessity and are thereby permitted. However the electricity needed to run a modern dairy must be produced from gas or diesel generators. This is more expensive than power line electricity, but generators avoid the intrusion of electricity in the home.
In farming, horses are used to pull wagons, buggies, and agricultural equipment. Gasoline engines may be allowed to run the machinery but horses are required for locomotion. The Old Order Amish are permitted to use modern transportation as long as they don't own or operate the equipment.
All of these guidelines are set out in the Ordnung, thus creating a balance between tradition and change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnung

Basically they have to pass the Amish version of Kosher.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2011, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 06:32 AM by Lilith Pride.)
I was under the impression that it was more restrictive than that. It makes things sound a bit better I suppose. Oh there's the reason with the milking restrictions.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user