"We are a nation that is bestowed by God."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2012, 08:22 PM
"We are a nation that is bestowed by God."
So recently Romney said this about taking God off of our currency.

"I will not take God off our coins and I will not take God out of my heart. We're a nation that's bestowed by God."

I realized that I hear this a lot. America is a nation that is bestowed by God. And I start to wonder, "do Christians even know what the word 'bestowed' means?"

It doesn't mean protected or blessed or favored. It means "presented as a gift" or "given" by God. When you say, "America was given to us by God" ...all sorts of stupid observations stand out.

Who is "us?" God had to give America to someone in order for the action of giving to take place. So who did God give America to? Americans? Were certain immigrants scattered across Europe already considered "Americans" to God? If you move from China and legally become an American citizen, are you then blessed by God and given a country that you only just moved to?

Next, how did God GIVE us a country? It was always there, just a mass of land waiting to be discovered. We didn't discover all the world, then God popped in and went, "here you go!" and dropped a pre-assembled America down in the ocean.

Does that mean that all the connecting landmass is also bestowed by God? God also gave Canadians Canada, Mexicans Mexico, and South Americans the same? Or did God draw the country boundaries himself with a Sharpie and say, "only THIS part of the land is from me."

Is America really worthy of being called a divine gift? Sure it has its ups but it also has lots and lots of embarrassing and cringe worthy downs. Its history is one of bigotry, violence, and sexism.

I thought Israel was God's gift? Strangely, nowhere in the Bible does God mention America. Stop being so retarded all the time, Christian America.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
RE: "We are a nation that is bestowed by God."
Yeah no one gave us this nation. We kinda killed a bunch of natives and took it from them. Soooooooooo.... Undecided
09-09-2012, 08:28 PM
(09-09-2012 08:25 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Yeah no one gave us this nation. We kinda killed a bunch of natives and took it from them. Soooooooooo.... Undecided

That's true where ever europeans met the natives.

Just look at Canada, United States, Australia and South Africa.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
09-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Then obviously those must have been bestowed by god too! Since they were bestowed upon them by force, death, blood and tears.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
You have to remember that Mormons believe that North America was inhabited by descendants of Jews or some shit.

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 09:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
"Bestowed" upon whom. The idiot doesn't even know how the term is used, in a religious context. He forgot to finish the sentence. I have a feeling Romney really knows nothing about the crazy stuff Mormons say they believe. If he does, he's worse off than I thought. Last week the great great granddaughter of Brigham Young was on the air, spilling the beans about Mormons, and some things about Romney.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...omney.html

BTW, for about 200,000 years, h. Sapiens has been invading and taking over land from groups already settled there, or using it. The present Native American were not the first people here, and THEY killed off the peoples before them, which happened many times. (I'm not condoning anything, just stating what is known).
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/12/...s-20120712

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM
One man's crazy beliefs....a nation's poor image.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
09-09-2012, 09:12 PM
If you believe god created the universe and controls the events that take place in the universe forever, then it's fair to say that he gave this country to us. Think about it, if he controls everything, then he controls what vagina you popped out of. If it was an American one, then grats he gave you the right to be a part of this country. If it was a foreign vagina, then he might give you the right to move and claim citizenship if he deems you worthy.

It makes perfect sense if you think like a religious nut.
[+] 1 user Likes Diablo666's post
09-09-2012, 09:53 PM
(09-09-2012 09:12 PM)Diablo666 Wrote:  If you believe god created the universe and controls the events that take place in the universe forever, then it's fair to say that he gave this country to us. Think about it, if he controls everything, then he controls what vagina you popped out of. If it was an American one, then grats he gave you the right to be a part of this country. If it was a foreign vagina, then he might give you the right to move and claim citizenship if he deems you worthy.

It makes perfect sense if you think like a religious nut.

Big Grin

Anything makes perfect sense when you think like a religious nut! HAHAHAHahahaha

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
10-09-2012, 03:42 AM
God chooses side, didn't you know?