We are all born atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Several atheists I have encountered have suggested this, and I find it interesting.

To be an atheist, you first need knowledge of theism, in order to reject it. No?

Atheism is a position one takes, where they have come to realize that there is no God, or rather that there is no evidence in which to believe in God.

When atheists suggest that we are all born atheists, I think what they mean is that we are born ignorant of the idea of god. But then again, babies are entirely ignorant to many things; but these many things do surely exist in the material world, they just haven't encountered them yet.

So it's not that we're born 'rejecting' God as much as we're born ignorant of God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like shimmyjimmy's post
09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
RE: We are all born atheists?
Yes I have always found this statement to be kind of funny. So, everyone is atheist when they are at their least rational. Good to know.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
09-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Atheism is lack of belief in deities. I doubt a newborn is thinking of deities so yeah they are atheists.
[+] 6 users Like donotwant's post
09-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah, what donotwant said. Atheism is nothing more than not believing in god(s), so if we are born without knowledge of them, we are born atheists.

In fact, if you introduce most young children to the idea of god(s) for the first time, they'll act like you're crazy

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
09-03-2014, 08:32 PM
I have only used it twice,in both cases when someone was claiming we are born believing in god. Its overall a bad argument,just like "wait till you just heard the plane is going to crash and you're in it".
How is it helping when you say you're an (a)theist at the most irrational moment of your life?
Anyways,while i think it is a bad argument,it is true.
Atheist: does not believe god exist
a baby does not believe god exists,so yeah,atheist

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
(09-03-2014 08:29 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, what donotwant said. Atheism is nothing more than not believing in god(s), so if we are born without knowledge of them, we are born atheists.

In fact, if you introduce most young children to the idea of god(s) for the first time, they'll act like you're crazy

So atheism is a 'non-belief'(ignorance) more so than a 'rejection' of a belief?

But doesn't the 'A' before 'theism' technically mean 'against'? So it would mean 'against theism', right?

And most children I know come to the belief in God without a fuss.
09-03-2014, 08:35 PM
(09-03-2014 08:33 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 08:29 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, what donotwant said. Atheism is nothing more than not believing in god(s), so if we are born without knowledge of them, we are born atheists.

But doesn't the 'A' before 'theism' technically mean 'against'? So it would mean 'against theism', right?

If you are not a theist you are an atheist.
Is child a theist? NO. Therefore atheist.
[+] 3 users Like donotwant's post
09-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Ignorance? No... Try "hasn't been indoctrinated yet".

The 'A' stands for "not" or "non" if I remember correctly, so no...

Being anti religion or against religion is an anti-theist.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 5 users Like Smercury44's post
09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
(09-03-2014 08:26 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Yes I have always found this statement to be kind of funny. So, everyone is atheist when they are at their least rational. Good to know.

It's more like, everybody is an atheist until somebody teaches them otherwise. And it actually shows a disturbing trend of brainwashing. Religions normally target the young because they have not developed their cognitive skills yet. Hence their minds are a fertile ground for absurdities. Of course people who take advantage of this are kinda sort of despicable. They themselves are likely to be a product of the "get them while they are young" tactic though. Regardless, this kind of targetting is child abuse.

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 7 users Like ivaneus's post
09-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Ignorance is willfully ignoring a fact. Rejection of an assertion presented as a fact is not ignorance. It's rational.

The "a" doesn't specifically mean anti. Asexual doesn't mean "anti sexual," it simply refers to the lack or sexual characteristics. A- is absence.

Children also come to beliefs in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus without a fuss. Children love to imagine, and also rely on adults for information about the world.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 4 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post