We are all born atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 10:39 AM
RE: We are all born atheists?
[Image: 125-Atheists-Destined-for-hell-pictured-...-hell-.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
10-03-2014, 10:55 AM
A new born child lacks many things that adults possess.
All children are born with a lack of belief in any gods and this category does make them a technical atheist, but I think most people consider an atheist to be someone who has a working knowledge of a particular type of theism and rationally view that theism as not having any evidence worthy of a belief in that deity.

I would also contend that all adults are atheist as well, considering that there are numerous gods that they don't believe in.
If atheism is a lack of belief in a god and you lack a belief in the god mythra, then you can be called an atheist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-03-2014, 05:05 PM
(09-03-2014 08:33 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 08:29 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, what donotwant said. Atheism is nothing more than not believing in god(s), so if we are born without knowledge of them, we are born atheists.

In fact, if you introduce most young children to the idea of god(s) for the first time, they'll act like you're crazy

So atheism is a 'non-belief'(ignorance) more so than a 'rejection' of a belief?

But doesn't the 'A' before 'theism' technically mean 'against'? So it would mean 'against theism', right?

And most children I know come to the belief in God without a fuss.

a- or ( before a vowel ) an- 1
— prefix
not; without; opposite to: atonal ; asocial

[from Greek a-, an- not, without]

So, no, it does not mean against.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-03-2014, 05:10 PM
(09-03-2014 11:03 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 09:23 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It can be either. The lack of belief would be agnostic atheism. The "rejection", as you word it, would be gnostic atheism.

I consider myself an agnostic atheist, as well as many (most?) of the other posters in this forum.

Isn't rejection inherent in the lack of belief?

Only in the sense that I reject the theist's claim of the existence of a god because there is no evidence to support that claim.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-03-2014, 05:13 PM
(09-03-2014 11:33 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 11:21 PM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  Theism: BELIEF in the existence of a God or Gods.

So atheism a rejection of the belief, and thus what is believed (ie. God).

I think you're being petty.

Oh, look -- more semantic prestidigitation. The fact that you and I don't believe in fucking unicorns doesn't mean we "reject unicorns".

I'm not being petty, I'm calling you on your bullshit.

Give it a fucking rest, Taq.

The OP is being polite, calm, and engaging. There is no need for your aggressive crap.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM
(10-03-2014 09:42 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:07 AM)shimmyjimmy Wrote:  I say "the idea of God" afterword, which is what I meant.

I apologize for the confusion.

But not for the confusion of the terms "ignorant" and "absence"?

Interesting.

How did I misuse the word 'ignorant'?

Is a baby not ignorant?
10-03-2014, 05:32 PM
We wouldn't say a baby is ignorant of Santa Claus, but of the story of Santa Claus. Rather than saying a baby is ignorant of the existence or knowledge of God, it would be better to say a baby is ignorant of the claims and the information regarding the Christian deity and the other deities available so far.

If we were to say a person is ignorant of thermodynamics, that is an implied statement that thermodynamics is a fact (this is not an implied statement that it is NOT a fact, just for the record... it's only an example). Or gravity. Or photosynthesis.

Saying a person (baby or otherwise) is ignorant of the existence of God (Christian or otherwise) is an implied claim of the existence of God. It's presupposing this existence as fact.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
10-03-2014, 05:39 PM
(10-03-2014 05:32 PM)Charis Wrote:  We wouldn't say a baby is ignorant of Santa Claus, but of the story of Santa Claus. Rather than saying a baby is ignorant of the existence or knowledge of God, it would be better to say a baby is ignorant of the claims and the information regarding the Christian deity and the other deities available so far.

If we were to say a person is ignorant of thermodynamics, that is an implied statement that thermodynamics is a fact (this is not an implied statement that it is NOT a fact, just for the record... it's only an example). Or gravity. Or photosynthesis.

Saying a person (baby or otherwise) is ignorant of the existence of God (Christian or otherwise) is an implied claim of the existence of God. It's presupposing this existence as fact.

I have already made the distinction between god and the IDEA and/or BELIEF of god.

You keep ignoring this though, for some reason.
10-03-2014, 05:39 PM
(10-03-2014 12:19 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 12:13 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Your problem is that you are a liar and a troll.

Taq, not to be rude, but why do you always [seemingly] attack the new comers? Some are trolls yes, but you gotta at least give them a chance or it's you who comes off as an ass, and not the troll.
I've seen other replies to you of this nature, though I'm just becoming aware of it. I used to think you were cool with everyone, not just atheists. What changed?

[Image: firenation.jpg]
taq came. That changed

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
10-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Ello SJ,welcome.
Popcorn

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....