We are all going to die here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2017, 03:15 AM
RE: We are all going to die here.
(18-12-2016 06:52 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Cheers to the most beautiful planet in the solar system.

Gentlemen, it has been an honor.

Remember, good health and a long life is merely the slowest rate at which one can die. Your cheerful thought for the day.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2017, 04:51 AM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
06-01-2017, 09:31 AM
It is true that at present none of us gets out of this alive.

I am fine with that.

However it's nice to have options and if science moves us closer to biological immortality and it was something I could afford and the side effects / risks were acceptable to me, sure, I'd go for it.

But ... and this is a big but ... one of the reasons I don't miss the afterlife concepts of my former faith is that I've realized that any form of immortality eventually becomes its own hell. We are creatures of time, which means we need not just beginnings and middles, but also ends. Because of what makes us, us -- hedonic tone, the need for challenges and variety, etc -- even if I had biological immortality I would retain the right to stop having new experiences at my discretion.

My go-to metaphor here is, imagine the best written and produced and directed and filmed and acted movie, ever. It is perfection in every way. It sweeps the Academy Awards, the Golden Globes, and the lines to see it at the cinema are always blocks long.

Still .... no matter how good and perfect, you wouldn't want the movie to go on without end. Because after about 12 hours, if not sooner, you just want to pee and go to bed, no matter HOW good it is.