We are doomed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2015, 08:32 AM
We are doomed
Nothing new here just wanted a place to rant. As I look at the news events of the last couple weeks I am utterly dumbfounded at the utter stupidity of the human race:
~ The candidates for US president are utter fools each and every one of them. It will be Russian Roulette but every chamber has a bullet.
~ The world economy is built upon a house of cards (unsustainable debt) and our "leaders" have no solution other than adding more cards to the top.
~ We are no better than our stone and iron aged ancestors as we have significant populations willing to stereotype, mistreat, abuse and even kill all in the name of make-believe stories.
~ Several college campuses are sprouting little pockets of fascism in which PC has taken over to inane proportions. "Freedom of Speech" is under attack from one of its most ardent defenders historically.

Of course nothing can be done because we as a world are too busy fighting over stupid myths. How can we solve real issues like energy, poverty eradication and curing grave diseases when our news and GDP are focused on combating violence that is all started by make believe stories plus non-stop news of the contemptible Khardashians and now Charlie Sheen?

If you speak out against Islam you are branded a bigot or a right wing nut.
If you speak out against other religions you are an apologist defending Islam.

Why the fuck isn't there a general outcry against the root of it all: Religion. Is this the time where the non-believer community stands up amidst the chaos to point out the utter stupidity that exists today? If we took away religion, we could focus on moving humanity forward, making the world a better place for humans and everything else we share the planet with.

Are we witnessing the time when the free-thinking community can rise up and make our voice heard or are we to be by-standers and potentially victims to a new era of religious violence?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
17-11-2015, 08:47 AM
RE: We are doomed
If we took away religion, that would settle a lot of sectarian violence, but the powers that be, that you alluded to, will still want to steal resources. The Military industrial complex will still want to sell as many bombs, guns, and bullets that they can. The people that watch the Kardashians and Charlie Sheen, will still want to watch the Kardashians and Charlie Sheen.

Getting rid of religion will solve a lot of the worlds problems. The bad news is, tribalism will still exist. As far as I can tell, there'll always be an "us versus them" mentality. With religion removed from the equation there will still be differences in culture, skin color, socioeconomic background, and a host of other phenomenon that creates tribes. Removing religion will be a wonderful thing when that is finally gone, but we will still have to deal with the DNA that our primate ancestors handed down to us when we lived in small tribes and had to fight for survival.

Also, we will still have to deal with the phenomenon of a vast majority of the population that wants to be anesthetized by entertainment and remain unaware of the true issues going on in this world. People love their entertainment, myself included.

But this in no means is meant to take away from your main point. Religion poisons everything, and it needs to go silently into that good night.
PS, I love that Siri spelled Kardashians like the Star Trek Race Cardassians

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
17-11-2015, 08:57 AM
I remember reading Carl Sagan, I think in the book Demon Haunted World (but maybe one of his other books) where he talked about how humans have a need to belong. We unite under flags. Whether it's our country, state, favorite sports team, or gang membership, or something more primitive like a tribe or religion. It will always be something separating us. We need it. Pack survival instinct. So it's not really religion. It's just how we evolved.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
17-11-2015, 09:36 AM
They took away religion back in the USSR. It didn't work very well.
If religion doesn't require to kill others, to take away freedom from others, but requires to do good to others, let it stay. why would we get rid of something that does good(charity)?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
17-11-2015, 09:39 AM
But half those things you speak off aren't rooted in religion at all.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-11-2015, 09:57 AM
(17-11-2015 09:36 AM)Alla Wrote:  They took away religion back in the USSR. It didn't work very well.
If religion doesn't require to kill others, to take away freedom from others, but requires to do good to others, let it stay. why would we get rid of something that does good(charity)?

[Image: quote-those-who-can-make-you-believe-abs...-37-31.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-11-2015, 10:40 AM
(17-11-2015 09:39 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  But half those things you speak off aren't rooted in religion at all.

Exactly, take away religion so that we can focus on the next issue that is plaguing us.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
17-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Fiat currency is the biggest religion.....

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.