We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 11:35 PM
We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.
People always view themselves as masters of their bodies. They have trouble accepting that they are just electric impulses firing through brain synapses because they think they are the puppet master of this flesh sack. "There HAS to be a soul because I feel myself as separate from my physical body." What people fail to realize is just how helpless we are to the whims of our brains.

We blink against our will, we sneeze against our will, we yawn, hiccup, laugh, cough, and cry against our will. We fall asleep unexpectedly, without any acceptance on our part. And while we're sleeping, we are subjected to fantasy realities that frighten and confuse us. If you've ever woken up mid-sleep and were unable to move, you just experienced Old Hag Syndrome, or sleep paralysis. Your brain, without your consent, paralyzes your muscles to keep your from acting out your dreams in real life. Your brain is protecting that identity that you call "self." Anyone who has experienced a traumatic event may have no recollection of the event. Your brain doesn't want you to remember. So sometimes, the brain protects us, other times the brain attacks and cripples us. Flashes of wartime killings hit you vividly and unexpectedly during your child's birthday party. While Tourette's or Parkinson's leave you terrified to be in public places. Are we governed by unconscious processes? Who's in charge here?

Is your soul body-shaped? You can remove both arms, both legs, and most of your torso and still be completely unaffected in the sense of "who we are." Think your soul is somehow connected to your senses? Even with all your organs of perception intact, without the brain we would not be able to see, hear, speak, taste, or feel the external world. And if our soul is "part of the brain" or "an alternate state of the brain," why is it that removing the heart, removes all that "soul" in your head? Without blood flow, without electrical impulses, we are nothing but flesh sacks draped over a bone frame.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
RE: We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.
My brain is my shepherd; I shall not want.
It maketh me to lie down in green pastures: it leadeth me beside the still waters.
It restoreth my soul

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-08-2012, 08:37 PM
(03-08-2012 11:35 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Are we governed by unconscious processes? Who's in charge here?

Me? I think the motherfucking id created the motherfucking ego to create the illusion that some motherfucking body is in charge here. 'Cause that's what the id needs.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Is this to say that we are not our minds? If our emotions, thoughts, and personalities originate in the brain, then doesn't that make our brains technically "us"?

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
[+] 2 users Like DreamWeaver's post
10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
(08-08-2012 07:09 PM)DreamWeaver Wrote:  Is this to say that we are not our minds?

Yes, we are not our minds, our brains just find it convenient and advantageous for us to think we are.

10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
God must be speaking to my soul because not 30 minutes before I read this post, I finished watching a doc that Johnny Cantor turned me onto about this very issue:

When do we become self-aware?
Where is our self-awareness reside?
Can it reside outside out bodies?

There was a bunch of good science-y stuff in it, but two experiments stood out for me.

1. The dude with a funny accent puts on a cyber helmet thingy with two small TVs right in front of his eyes. Three feet behind him are two cameras that mimic our own binocular vision. So he is essentially watching the back of his head. Meanwhile, the experimenter with the funnier accent uses 1 hand to tap the dude on the chest and uses the other hand to tap just below the cameras, at chest level. The dude totally lost his orientation and felt like he was out of his body. Then the experimenter wore the cameras and interacted with the dude in such a way as the dude felt like he was in the experimenter's body. It was mind blowing, as it were. I would totally like to experience that. Watch it, it's amazing. The experiment starts at the 29:47mark.

2. The dude with the funny accent does some sort of test where he has to make a choice between two options while his head was in some sort of MRI machine. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because I was driving while I was watching...er...listening to the program. Anyway, the experimenter (I can't remember if he had a funny accent or not) was able to predict what choices the dude was going to make a full 6 seconds before the dude actually made the choice. Again, mind blowing. This suggests that there is some part of our mind that is deciding things even before we are conscious of making the choice. The possible implication is that we are indeed, in a sense, slaves to our minds. Bizzaro to the max!
Anyway, if you don't want to watch the whole thing, the experiment is at the 50:26 mark.

And this has probably already been thoroughly discussed in the Elegant Nature of Science Thread and in the Subconscious: Fact or Fiction Thread, but it's all brand new to me and very exciting.

Thanks, Doc HoC!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 07:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2012 07:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  When do we become self-aware?

More interesting to me is why we feel compelled to be self-aware at all? What's up with that?

10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Scientifically I dont understand everything in this video..... However it has been good at helping me research this subject matter myself by giving me references.

I did make a thread about it near to when I first joined but it didnt get many responses as far as I can remember, it is after all along video but defo worth the watch.

I also made a thread about another video which ponders this question but on a more personal level to the individual, I know GM has seen it caus he responded to that thread at the time..... if you dont watch the longer video then try to watch this one Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
(10-08-2012 08:17 PM)bemore Wrote:  Scientifically I dont understand everything in this video..... However it has been good at helping me research this subject matter myself by giving me references.

I did make a thread about it near to when I first joined but it didnt get many responses as far as I can remember, it is after all along video but defo worth the watch.

I also made a thread about another video which ponders this question but on a more personal level to the individual, I know GM has seen it caus he responded to that thread at the time..... if you dont watch the longer video then try to watch this one Smile

Drop yourself, bemore, I got you to thank for that. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-08-2012, 08:39 PM
(10-08-2012 07:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  God must be speaking to my soul because not 30 minutes before I read this post, I finished watching a doc that Johnny Cantor turned me onto about this very issue:

When do we become self-aware?
Where is our self-awareness reside?
Can it reside outside out bodies?

There was a bunch of good science-y stuff in it, but two experiments stood out for me.

1. The dude with a funny accent puts on a cyber helmet thingy with two small TVs right in front of his eyes. Three feet behind him are two cameras that mimic our own binocular vision. So he is essentially watching the back of his head. Meanwhile, the experimenter with the funnier accent uses 1 hand to tap the dude on the chest and uses the other hand to tap just below the cameras, at chest level. The dude totally lost his orientation and felt like he was out of his body. Then the experimenter wore the cameras and interacted with the dude in such a way as the dude felt like he was in the experimenter's body. It was mind blowing, as it were. I would totally like to experience that. Watch it, it's amazing. The experiment starts at the 29:47mark.

2. The dude with the funny accent does some sort of test where he has to make a choice between two options while his head was in some sort of MRI machine. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because I was driving while I was watching...er...listening to the program. Anyway, the experimenter (I can't remember if he had a funny accent or not) was able to predict what choices the dude was going to make a full 6 seconds before the dude actually made the choice. Again, mind blowing. This suggests that there is some part of our mind that is deciding things even before we are conscious of making the choice. The possible implication is that we are indeed, in a sense, slaves to our minds. Bizzaro to the max!
Anyway, if you don't want to watch the whole thing, the experiment is at the 50:26 mark.

And this has probably already been thoroughly discussed in the Elegant Nature of Science Thread and in the Subconscious: Fact or Fiction Thread, but it's all brand new to me and very exciting.

Thanks, Doc HoC!

So you have had your consciousness raised.... cool.

It makes me conscious of how lucky I was to be raised by/with BBC2. Dangit I miss proper television!

Notable line of monologue: How does it [consciousness] all happen? There is an obvious place to start looking [edgy, sciencey music, long enough for one to think of an answer]... the brain.

Hmmmm... maybe obvious to Horizon-watchers but not to many people I know.

I agree... Thanks Bemore, HoC and others who have pointed me to stuff like this.