We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
RE: We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.
(10-08-2012 08:39 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 07:07 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  God must be speaking to my soul because not 30 minutes before I read this post, I finished watching a doc that Johnny Cantor turned me onto about this very issue:

When do we become self-aware?
Where is our self-awareness reside?
Can it reside outside out bodies?

There was a bunch of good science-y stuff in it, but two experiments stood out for me.

1. The dude with a funny accent puts on a cyber helmet thingy with two small TVs right in front of his eyes. Three feet behind him are two cameras that mimic our own binocular vision. So he is essentially watching the back of his head. Meanwhile, the experimenter with the funnier accent uses 1 hand to tap the dude on the chest and uses the other hand to tap just below the cameras, at chest level. The dude totally lost his orientation and felt like he was out of his body. Then the experimenter wore the cameras and interacted with the dude in such a way as the dude felt like he was in the experimenter's body. It was mind blowing, as it were. I would totally like to experience that. Watch it, it's amazing. The experiment starts at the 29:47mark.

2. The dude with the funny accent does some sort of test where he has to make a choice between two options while his head was in some sort of MRI machine. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because I was driving while I was watching...er...listening to the program. Anyway, the experimenter (I can't remember if he had a funny accent or not) was able to predict what choices the dude was going to make a full 6 seconds before the dude actually made the choice. Again, mind blowing. This suggests that there is some part of our mind that is deciding things even before we are conscious of making the choice. The possible implication is that we are indeed, in a sense, slaves to our minds. Bizzaro to the max!
Anyway, if you don't want to watch the whole thing, the experiment is at the 50:26 mark.

And this has probably already been thoroughly discussed in the Elegant Nature of Science Thread and in the Subconscious: Fact or Fiction Thread, but it's all brand new to me and very exciting.

Thanks, Doc HoC!

So you have had your consciousness raised.... cool.

It makes me conscious of how lucky I was to be raised by/with BBC2. Dangit I miss proper television!

Notable line of monologue: How does it [consciousness] all happen? There is an obvious place to start looking [edgy, sciencey music, long enough for one to think of an answer]... the brain.

Hmmmm... maybe obvious to Horizon-watchers but not to many people I know.

I agree... Thanks Bemore, HoC and others who have pointed me to stuff like this.

So you didn't mind the funny accent?Blink

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul. - Erxomai - 10-08-2012 09:05 PM