We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2012, 06:51 PM
RE: We are slaves to our minds. Nature of the soul.
(23-08-2012 01:43 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 01:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  Which part of 'scientist' don't you understand?Smartass
They aren't true scientists? Well, they aren't true Scotsmen either. Except maybe doctor Oldfield, he's got a name for that Wink

No, they're not.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I was an atheist but eventually gave it up because I found our consciousness can not be explained in a natural way.
Imagine one day we totally understand how human brain works and we can simulate a brain cell with a computer running various of programs. We then link 50 billion computers, each one simulating a brain cell, with internet. The computers communicate with each other like brain cells communicate with each other. Let’s call it an internet brain.

The question is - can this internet brain really feel something like we do?

First let’s assume a computer has equivalent “machine feeling” like a brain cell. Does that mean it can really feel something like we do? Let see how our brain works. In our case, each brain cell may feel something, but it is impossible to have all the information, it only has partial information. The feeling of each brain cell must be organized in a meaningful way to generate a feeling that makes sense.

Let me elaborate a litter bit further. For example, you see a red dot beside a blue dot. Some of your brain cells see feel red, let’s call them group R, some brain cells may see blue, let’s call them group B, some know the location of the red dot – group M, some know the location of the blue dot, N. Let’s use * to represent color and location organizing and + to represent dot and dot organizing. The final feeling would be (R*M)+(B*N).

It’s just a super simplified version of our brain. In fact, the way of organizing the feeling of each brain cell could be millions times more complicated than this.

Let see in case of internet brain. Would that be (R*M)+(B*N) or other ways – such as R*M*B*N or R+M+B+N, or even R… M… B… N… - each computer still be independent to each other.

If you see in a certain way, the computers are functioning together in a way like (R*M)+(B*N), but how can that guarantee they organize feeling like (R*M)+(B*N)? We don’t know that, one thing we do know is – It is NOT NECESSARY. It is not needed for the functionality of the internet brain. The internet brain can still be functioning like a real brain without feeling anything - simply computers running programs.

Any question you ask to the internet brain you can ask to our brain if our brain is the only source for consciousness made of atoms like computers. How comes we have the consciousness? How it is got evolved after all since it’s not needed at all.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes abateamwork's post
11-05-2013, 01:16 AM
(10-05-2013 05:34 PM)abateamwork Wrote:  I was an atheist but eventually gave it up because I found our consciousness can not be explained in a natural way.

Your consciousness, maybe. Tongue

It's stuff like simulation of future, walking upright, and eating fruit. Maybe even hallucinogenic mushrooms. What it ain't, is unnatural.

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post