We are so unbelievably small

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2010, 01:35 PM

We are so unbelievably small
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

I think this video does the best job out of a lot of similar videos of epitomizing the futility of our existence.
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 04:26 PM
RE: We are so unbelievably small
Yes we are ...
I wish I could see a day when we sail among the stars and abandon comfortable delusion for the beauty of reality.
Alas , I am cursed to this time an place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I don't think it's futile though Tongue

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
10-12-2010, 10:13 PM
True , IF we don't exterminate our own species out of greed an lack of concern for our habitat. Sad
11-12-2010, 08:37 AM
(10-12-2010 01:35 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U

I think this video does the best job out of a lot of similar videos of epitomizing the futility of our existence.

Jeez, are you melancholy. You either need to lighten up or change your moniker to "Debbie Downer".

Just because we are small in comparison doesn't mean we are futile. We may be overly self important, maybe, but we live, we breathe, we aspire, we strive, we learn, and we grow. Sometimes we regress, sometimes we stumble, or fail, but we pick ourselves back up (well, most of us, anyway) and we start and try all over again, and we are better for the experience, for having tried, for having failed, and for having what it takes to try again.

It's not futile, it's life.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-12-2010, 01:01 PM
We are not small. The universe is incredibly big. If an ant is able to be aware of us it wouldn't see itself as small. It would see us as huge. The important thing to know is that this planet is our only place that is livable in the present and foreseeable future. We have nowhere else to go if we ruin this place. That won't change until we have people living on a sustainable planet in another solar system. If we gain colonies on Mars and the moon, those colonies will rely on the earth for their survival, at least until they are successfully terraformed.
11-12-2010, 03:17 PM
(11-12-2010 01:01 PM)No J. Wrote:  If we gain colonies on Mars and the moon, those colonies will rely on the earth for their survival, at least until they are successfully terraformed.

Ah. Terraforming. I read a long time ago that NASA was working on a way to Terraform Mars. What happened to that idea?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Wasn't Terraforming the basis for Star Trek III, the Search for Plot?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-12-2010, 06:55 PM

(11-12-2010 03:17 PM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  
(11-12-2010 01:01 PM)No J. Wrote:  If we gain colonies on Mars and the moon, those colonies will rely on the earth for their survival, at least until they are successfully terraformed.

Ah. Terraforming. I read a long time ago that NASA was working on a way to Terraform Mars. What happened to that idea?

It would require massive geo-engineering and trillions upon trillions of dollars for a budget, and a sufficient justification to invest such resources. I think we should focus on getting there and other places before we terraform Mars. Habitable, self-sustaining indoor colonies should suffice until then.

When we screw up Earth too badly, or exhaust its supply too greatly, or pack it to tightly, to live there anymore, we can all shift to Mars. But if the human race lasts long enough, we will eventually spread out farther and farther out.

If anyone has ever read Asimov's "Last Question" I think it raises some interesting points.

BnW

Perhaps I should have worded my sentence differently. I meant to convey a message similar to that of Carl Sagan in his Pale Blue Dot speech. Futility was probably the wrong word, but I take full responsibility for my diction, and obviously it is to be interpreted as it means.
Quote this message in a reply